Taiwan Vs. Korea

I’m curious how working in Taiwan compares to Korea. For example, in Korea when you sign a contract with an employer they own you for the length of that contract. Is that the case in Taiwan, or can an unsatisfied employee take steps to work for a different employer?

What is the situation with private lessons? If I were to come out there, could I support myself entirely by teaching private, 1-on-1 lessons? Is that illegal?

Is exploitation by employers as rife as it is in Korea? To me, it seems that it is a priveliged few who do not have significant problems with their employers during their stay in Korea. How’s the situation in Taiwan?

Lastly, and this is a toughie: For the meical exam… I had malaria 2 years ago in Africa. Does anyone know if they are only screeing for ACTIVE cases of malaria, or are they screening to see if you’ve got it hanging out in your liver? (It’s going to be hanging out in my liver for another 8 years or so)

Any tips for someone who is considering ditching Korea and heading for greener pastures in Taiwan? Basically, are the pastures really greener?

Thanks!
-Jake

Welcome to Forumosa, faddat. I suggest sending a private message to j99l88e77 and asking his opinion on some of your questions as I think that he has been in both places for longer than a year. Although he was in Hualien in Taiwan where often some teachers struggle to get decent hours working at just one school. I’m fairly sure this subject has been done quite a few times on this forum a few times before.

Legally you are owned by your school when you sign a contract. Some schools allow their staff to work at other schools regardless of illegality and teach privates and others don’t.

Teaching privates is generally illegal in Taiwan but you could possibly support yourself doing it if you had enough willing private students but you’d have to budget on leaving the island at least every two months. It may take a while after your arrival in Taiwan to build up a lot of private students and generally private students are unreliable. So just teaching privates really wouldn’t be worth the risk.

How do you define exploitation? Bosses generally try to get richer off their staff everywhere in the world. There will be things that tick you off at any school you work at it. There are some people here that stay at one school for a number of years.

There are good and bad schools here. You might find a school that is excellent staff-wise and administration-wise but is just really an exercise in money-grabbing disguised as education or you might find a school that cares about their students’ education but haven’t got together administration-wise. You’ll also find some really good schools that are good in all those areas.

I have no idea about the malaria situation but it could be problematic.

People do tend to last longer in Taiwan than in Korea. It’s more likely that you are probably saving more money in Korea than you would in Taiwan because schools in Taiwan generally don’t pay for apartments and airfare unlike the majority of hagwons in South Korea.

Thank you Matchstick Man! I appreciate the candor of your post and I’ll be following up with the person who you reccomended that I PM. Looking at all of the possiblities, at least I’m being paid and soon I will be able to get Internet Access. I’ve just been waiting a very long time on my ARC here in Korea (crappy employer, but it probably could be much worse). Mostly, I need a table and chairs, and a bit of respect from my employer.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:!

-Jake

Happy to help, Jake. This fairly recent thread in the Taiwan forum on Daves ESL Cafe may also be helpful to you.

click here

Whats better if you’re of Asian descent? Korea or Taiwan? Also I had previously contracted TB (tuberculosis) but i took meds and it was never active… would that be a problem for the medical exam?

My husband and I both had malaria when we lived in Africa (I had it once, my husband twice). We have never had a problem with the medical exam here. They don’t test for it.

I think the only time you would run into difficulties with having malaria in the past is donating blood. There is a window of time (or possibly forever, can’t remember) when you can’t donate.

Don’t worry about it, it’s not a problem.

Has anyone here ever taught in South Korea?

My buxiban has decided not to renew my contract here. I have been researching this for months now and it seems like a totally better deal…

any advice?

(I’m thinking of public school positions…)

It’s hell. The deal only looks better on paper. Factor in bosses who refuse to pay you, and suddenly Korean jobs don’t look so good. A public school position could be safe, moneywise, but everyone I know who has taught at a public school has not liked it. The other teachers resent you for your reduced work load and superior pay, and the students are horrible.
In general, kids in Korea are very badly behaved. They are taught in school, and told by their parents, that foreigners are barbarians without any culture. Try getting any respect in that case. The bosses in general treat foreign teachers the same way the average Taiwanese treats a Filipina maid - as worthless scum, only good for being used.
If you are a white man with blond or brown hair, under 40, Korea can be a great place to make money - but it will be by teaching privately at students’ homes, which is illegal, and the immigration police actually try to catch illegal teachers there.
I’ve worked in both places. I made more money - when I actually got paid - in Korea, but Taiwan was overall the better deal.

Thank for your advice, however one-sided it may be. Did you get burned their?

I personally know four teachers who have been burned there. I’ve NEVER met a teacher who would return to Korea. Bababa’s post is completely correct.

I worked in Korea for 5 years at both Hagwons and public schools. I have been in Taiwan since the start of this year and it is proving to better than Korea in every respect except for one. The work is better, the people are nicer (a thousand times nicer), there is more variety, better food, not once have I heard “In Taiwan you should…” or “this is Taiwan culture you must understand” but, you can make/save more money in Korea. In Korea I was making 86,000 NTD a month without privates and with free housing, severance and of course air tickets for 40 hours a week at work. In Taiwan I get 55,000 NTD a month for 25 hours a week but with none of housing, air tickets or severance.

In conclusion, unless you really need money Taiwan wins.

You should be able to get more hours? And then it would be good all round. Or maybe a few privates here and there?

25 hours a week isnt a full plate. But it allows time to explore the island?

Eat cheap and you will do ok.

Teaching, 25 hours is a full plate for many.

55k NT a month isn’t rolling in it but very livable, no need to each cheap.

Good luck with trying to get any respect from your Koran employer. Your best hope is a Korean employer that leaves you alone.

[quote=“steelersman”][quote=“faddat”]Thank you Matchstick Man! I appreciate the candor of your post and I’ll be following up with the person who you reccomended that I PM. Looking at all of the possiblities, at least I’m being paid and soon I will be able to get Internet Access. I’ve just been waiting a very long time on my ARC here in Korea (crappy employer, but it probably could be much worse). Mostly, I need a table and chairs, and a bit of respect from my employer.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:!

-Jake[/quote]

Good luck with trying to get any respect from your Koran employer. Your best hope is a Korean employer that leaves you alone.[/quote]

He’s probably long gone from Korea given that post was made in 2006.

Yeah 55,000 a month is def livable. I don’t need to watch what I spend and still have some left over at the end of the month. There is just not the same potential for saving that there is in Korea.

[quote=“tommy525”]You should be able to get more hours? And then it would be good all round. Or maybe a few privates here and there?

25 hours a week isnt a full plate. But it allows time to explore the island?

Eat cheap and you will do ok.[/quote]

25 hours a week is great, there are 20 classes and an hour each day of breaks. 1-6 or 3-8 Monday to Friday. In and out with no desk warming or team building exercises. I am happy with it. The rest of the day I can have Hightop time. At the last job in Korea I was working 8.40 - 4.40. Teaching time was 9-12 with the rest of the day desk warming in an office full of Koreans trying their hardest to appear busy.

But the teachers in Korea want to shoot themselves in the head every day. :laughing: Sure, in Taiwan they would make a bit less money, but they would be much happier. Sounds like an easy choice to me.

I don’t think my advice was one-sided. But yeah, I got burned there. Every foreign teacher I met in Korea, and every foreigner who has taught in Korea I’ve met since, except one, has had problems.
At one school I didn’t get paid until I punched my boss in the face (male boss, I’m a woman), and even then it was only half what he owed me - but the other teachers got nothing. I knew another teacher, a young, blond, handsome American man (i.e., gold in the eyes of the hagwon bosses) who also had to ‘beat the shit out of his boss’ (his words) to get paid. There’s a school in Pusan reun by a former pimp who has found fleecing foreign teachers and Korean students is easier, and one of his teachers had to beat him to get paid too.
Not getting paid also happened to the Korean teachers at the hagwons - a typical scam was to open a school, hire foreign and Korean teachers, never pay, promise to pay and keep the school open as long as the teachers were willing to wait for their money. I was the only foreign teacher at one such school, so the boss paid me to keep me around, but the Korean teachers didn’t get paid for three or four months, when they’d quit, and he’d hire new ones, who never got paid and stuck around for three or four months and quit, and so on.
You can make a lot of money teaching private lessons in Korea, but the police really do try to catch you. I knew several people who were caught, fined, and deported for teaching illegally. I’ve never heard of anyone getting busted for teaching in someone’s house or apartment in Taiwan.

There’s also the attitude of the average Korean. They don’t like foreigners, and they show it. True, if you don’t understand Korean, you may not realize it. I got sick of kids and grannies pointing at me in the streets and shouting, “Look! There’s a barbarian!”
The other problem with their xenophobia is you cannot expect help from the authorities with labor issues. If you go to the CLA in Taiwan with a legitimate complaint, you may well get assistance. In Korea there is a very strong tendency to think that the Koreans must stick together, and so no matter how bad the boss’s behavior is, or how obvious it is he is cheating you, you won’t get help.

People in my hometown sometimes ask for amy advice about going to teach in Korea, because it often looks like a good deal. I tell them Japan or Taiwan is better, but if they do decide to go to Korea, get out at the first sign of trouble. Don’t think, ‘things might get better, so I’ll stick it out.’ If the boss is a few days late with your pay, but has what seems like a reasonable explanation, and you let him pay you late, he’s just testing you. Next time he won’t pay you at all, maybe. Just leave. Preferably, don’t go in the first place.