Taiwan Vs. Korea

What!? :fatchance: That’s my graduation picture, I had a professional photographer take it…

I’ve had big problems with xenophobia. Some Koreans are the nicest people I’ve ever met, but a lot of them will treat me like dirt because I’m a foreigner. And that’s not even touching on problems with my job.

Man, I’ve ranted so much about Korea in the past month that I’m just out of rant at the moment.

Did you work in a hogwon?

My work life in Korea was a lot easier than in Taiwan.

I am working in a hogwon now, and the hours are just about the only good thing about the job.

It depends on what you are talking about Steelersman. I will debate you point for point about Korea and will bet for every one person with a complaint about Taiwan there are three with stronger complaints about Korea. The only thing I would complain about Taiwan is that the money is a little less :eh: .

About Dave’s deleting posts. It seems you are not allowed to say anything negative there as I posted about my negative experience teaching at a language center in Japan. It was quickly removed :fume: . So much for using the forums to want people… :ohreally:

Well, I have taught in Korea and Taiwan. I am currently in Taiwan. Am I allowed to offer my :2cents: ?

I did say that my work life was better not my social life!

Everyone follows the “law” in Korea (unless it involves paying wages to foreigners). It’s so boring. Can we get some drug mules and gang wars up in this bitch? Please?

Get a job with a public school. Then it should be ok.

Don’t count on it. Although eventually you will get your money in a public school* my pay was late or short much more often than when I worked at a hagwon.

*That is if they do not give you a position, arrange your visa and have you buy your ticket to Korea only to call you and tell you they don’t need you the day before you are to depart, à la SMOE 2009.

I know someone will say it so let me say it, you need more Canadians up there maybe? :smiley: :smiley:

I thought it was those Canadian lads who were bringing the drugs into Korea???

Would have to get a new visa, which now requires getting a federal background check - that means the FBI in my case, and that takes about 12 weeks. Really, may as well move to Taiwan.

:runaway:

:laughing: Yeah, but I really love being a Canadian. It hurt.

I’ve lived and taught in both countries. I lived in Kaohsiung for a year and out in Nantou county for a year and a half. Then lived in Korea for five years, mostly up in Ilsan.

So I reckon, my opinion is as good as any and should carry some weight with Whole Lotta Lotta. I don’t know if it is quite as bad in Korea as some people are making it out to be, but make no mistake, Taiwan is much better. There are organized hate groups that stalk English teachers there for pete’s sake. Case in point, the Korean government a few days ago announced it was lifting the mandatory HIV testing on foreign “entertainers/philippina prostitutes”, but not for foreign english teachers. As a public health policy, that makes no sense whatsoever. As a policy aimed at fostering xenophobic attitudes towards foreign english teachers, its brilliant.

English teachers are on the bottom rung of society in Korea. Perhaps they are above the third world factory workers, but even then, there is some lament in Korean society about how this is socially unjust, as evidenced by a recent movie that came out portraying English teacers as leacherous, brash, ignorant and buffoonish, while the 3D worker was stoic, resilent and humble.

In Taiwan, foreign english teachers, were treated, as best as I can remember, as outsiders. In Korea, they are considered social scum, and untouchable.

I don’t disagree but why doesn’t Korea just bane Foreign English teachers if they hate them so much?

They need them, but they both Love to Hate them as well as Hate to Love them.

They want them as educational showpieces. However, they want Native English teachers to have nothing to do with Koreaans outside the workplace, especially foreign men and Korean women. Therefore, NET’s are stigmatized in every negative way possible, ie disease carrying, fake qualifications, works in Burger King back home, pedophile, sexual pervert, etc. to make the social walls as high as possible for koreans to climb over to enter into a relationship with them.

Are you describing Koreans or foreigners here? It seems like a perfect description of Korean men as well.

Anyway, I will be moving back home to become a Speech Language Pathologist. Taiwan is great but other than starting your own business I feel a lack of opportunity to use my brain.