Taiwan vs Malaysian Citizenship

Given the choice between having citizenship in Taiwam versus Malaysia, which would you most likely choose? I understand it would be different for everyone depending on his or her situation, but generally speaking if you were looking at either place to raise kids, buy a house, and have a stable(ish) future, which would you choose?

I’ve heard some business types really recommend Malaysia as holding greater potential for economic success and stability on the world stage, but even considering some of the geographic and political issues facing Taiwan, I see Taiwan as having more potential socially and economically over the course of the coming decades (say 30-40 years).

Both are good passports, if you can get them. Have you lived in either of these countries? You’ll need 5 years for Taiwan vs. 10 years for Malaysia. Taiwan requires you to renounce other citzenships in the course of naturalization, but you can acquire more later. Malaysia disallows dual citizenship–i.e. you’ll lose Malaysian citizenship if you ever take another.

Taiwan is a democracy. Malaysia is not really, and has huge human rights problems, including British-style libel laws which can ruin you if you ever irritate anybody in power, or speak badly of certain local religions.

Taiwan has pollution, both domestic and imported from China. Malaysia gets haze every summer from Indonesian farmers setting fires.

Taiwan has the famous disadvantage that China may invade it. On the other hand, if you are considering Malaysian citizenship, then PRC citizenship would be about on the same level, human rights wise.

You have to learn some Malay to naturalize in Malaysia. You’ll have to learn some Chinese for Taiwan. (Perhaps you already know one of these languages.)

Taiwan suffers from a Chinese-style education system based on rote learning and overwork in grade school, followed by relatively lackadaisical universities. Malaysian universities are defined by affirmative action quotas. Good if you’re ethnic Malay, I guess, but bad if you’re ethnic Chinese.

Oh yeah–affirmative action quotas are required in / of most Malaysian businesses, and even affect bank loans. Taiwan has nothing like this.

Both countries offer permanent residence status, which you should consider as an alternative to citizenship. You might also think about Singapore. (2 years, no dual, Chinese dominated, about as democratic as Malaysia.)

It should be noted that Malaysia has retirement visas, so if that’s the intent, there’s no need for naturalization.

As to whether or not living in Malaysia is a good idea, I respectfully wish everyone there a pleasant day. :bowing: