Taiwanese food : Better outside Taipei

I’ve come to the conclusion that Taiwanese food is better outside of Taipei. I don’t really like the food in Taipei but i’ve found outside Taipei it’s much better. Anybody else have the same experience ?

1 Like

Never had it outside Taiwan, apart from Din Tai Feng in China which was the same.

Edit: I’m a tard, I read the question rong. Ignore.

I think you’re just happier to get something edible when you’re outside of Taipei . . . kinda like how great hot dogs taste when you go camping.

It’s not like the Dzong Dz are always stickier on the other side of the island (Tainan). :lick:

While Taipei is good at some things, when it comes to minnan snacks, I’d take the food in the south any day. So yes, I agree!

Guy

Depends entirely on the dish.

And your price point. If you have NT$100 in Kaohsiung versus NT$100 in Taipei, it’s amazing how much you can get!

Guy

YES

Day to day average $150 or less meals are way better outside Taipei, as are night market and lubiantan snacks.

The boondock and hinterland cities do local food better.

Taipei does high end Chinese better.

1 Like

I travel a lot during the weekends and holydays, and I have to agree that normally it’s more gratifying to eat anywhere else. If the place is a touristic spot then prices will be higher than average, but I love to go to Hualien and have incredibly cheap grill / fish, or to have Hakka food in the country side, or… well so many places/food :slight_smile:

Hakka food in the mountains is almost always excellent. Mountain chicken, fired tofu, mountain vegies, salty eggs, and hakka stir fries. Yum.

1 Like

I’ve spent a long time living in Taipei and not so long in Taichung. I found the chinese food to be better in general in Taipei and the price is actually cheaper for a lot of local restaurants in Taipei, surprisingly. The variety is good too but it is getting less varied and easy to find good cheap eats as Taipei gentrified.
Some nightmarkets outside Taipei are great if you go for street food.
There are significant differences between Southern and Northern Taiwan cuisine, seafood is generally better than south, love the Tainan local stuff in general but hate ‘ba wan’ etc.
Dumplings and Northern Chinese food are pretty great up North.

Hakka cuisine is awesome in Hakka areas, you need to go to the right restaurants of course and spend a bit more dough for the good stuff. Fresh mountain veggies, free range chicken and ducks and pork. Kejia bantiao with chilli. Oh yeah.

Aboriginal food is also awesome, again need to shell out a bit and get it from the right folks. Enjoyment of pork helps in general.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Hakka cuisine is awesome in Hakka areas, you need to go to the right restaurants of course and spend a bit more dough for the good stuff.

Aboriginal food is also awesome, again need to shell out a bit and get it from the right folks. Enjoyment of pork helps in general.[/quote]

True that. Seems to be very hard to find these days, but it’s reeeally good. Authentic? I wouldn’t have a clue, but still good.

I could point people to many EXCELLENT restaurants indeed in Miaoli county, run by locals and eaten in by locals and tourists alike. Must be a lover of pork, crunchy mountain veggies, bamboo and real chicken.

It is clear that the cuisine outside Taipei is not to be missed.

You can tell by the popularity among mainlanders of all those drive-and-eat round-the-island bus tours.

Drive and eat … drive and eat … pose for photos in front of the restaurant … drive and eat …

What a wonderful way to experience Taiwan. I must try it.

Taiwan is a terrible place to be Muslim for sure… anything good is pork, unless of course you like vegetarian.

I’m all over Taiwan all the time. The overall best city for a good and variety of food is in Tainan.

Unfortunately, cheap price is the overriding factor for eating in Taiwan, which brings the quality, options, and variety way down.

1 Like