Taiwanese heroes?

I should start a thread of “Things @hansioux might not know of about Taiwan history” and test his knowledge.

I’m only learning as I go :stuck_out_tongue: But if you mix history with baseball then there’s a good chance I have read about it.

Taiwan history + Taiwan baseball + cats

I think that pretty much covers everything we talk about in this forum, right?

1 Like

If they made the crap pasta into a national phenomenon, then it can be.

I mean Is Ramen Japanese or Chinese food? It used to be that every Ramen place in Japan would have 中華拉麵 (Chuka Ramen) sign on its door. Now who is going to say Ramen isn’t Japanese food?

Who’s gonna say Naporitan isn’t Japanese food?

Who’s gonna say jjamppong isn’t Korean food, even though you mostly find jjamppong in Chinese restaurants in Korea? Even if the word jjamppong came from Taiwanese tsia̍h-pn̄g (食飯), who’s gonna call it Taiwanese food?

Who’s gonna say quesarito, doritos loco taco or waffle taco, aren’t American food? Or who’s gonna say it’s Mexican food?

Refresh my memory, what’s the Chinese name for spaghetti again??

Yeah, but technically Italians only adopted stringy noodles in 12AD, and the Europeans first imported that idea from the Middle East to Norman, France, and then to Sicily.

Your example goes to show that just because something or someone isn’t originally from a place, doesn’t mean it can’t be a symbol for the place.

Nice try, but the Chinese word for “noodles” is “noodles”. The Chinese word for skinny round noodles with sauces that originated in various parts of Italy is “Italian noodles”.

[quote=“hansioux, post:44, topic:87867”]
Who’s gonna say quesarito, doritos loco taco or waffle taco, aren’t American food?[/quote]

Uhhh, everybody?

[quote=“hansioux, post:44, topic:87867”]
Or who’s gonna say it’s Mexican food?[/quote]

Uhhh, everybody?

I’m too depressed about Brad and Angie to carry on with this, say whatever the jeez you want.
I’m going to go watch Mr and Mrs Smith.

You sound like the warm-up act at a Trump rally

Glad I won’t ever have to go to one to verify whether or not that’s true

Hey, when you buy the new David Cross CD, it comes with a (sort of) Trump hat

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5986/26/original/640.jpg

I’d like to share more, but I’m so broken up about the whole Brad & Angie thing, I’m just going to go home and sit there with the lights out.

That honour would have to go to my colleaues, Wu Chun-li, and his ex-wife, Kuang Li-chen. Their story is very touching.

Wu Chun-li won the Taidong magistrate race in a land-slide but was unable to take office because of a prior corruption conviction, and then to make matters worse, an additional vote-buying charge during the actual election.

Out of pure love, his wife divorced him, enabling Wu to appoint her as his deputy and next-in-line - and thus by-pass nepotism laws. If Wu had to stand down, then his ex-wife would take his place.

Sadly, these star-crossed lovers were thwarted in their scheme when some dastardly Taipei official said ‘you can’t do that’.

In every hero story there’s a point where all seems lost, and this was it, but that’s what makes true heroes.

They didn’t sulk and mope about - Wu Chun-li had the judge come and visit for a private chat about his case while his wife, Kuang Li-chen saddled up in the KMT colours for the resultant re-run. With the help of Ma-Ing-jiu, who came down to stump for them three times, she won the run-off with an even greater margin than her ex-husband had achieved!

A bunch of tax-payer funded world trips and dodgy land deals later, it’s true, she was shuffled into a less high-profile post by the KMT, but…

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode

Can Wu Chun-li really beat the rap(s)!?

Will Kuang Li-chen ‘forgive’ her husband and re-marry him!?

Will Ma Ing-jiu act as Best Man!?

Wow!
But I guess this post should be in “Whack Things in Taiwan” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

How long have you been setting that one up? :smirk:

What about the Black Bats and the Black Cats?

1 Like