Taiwanese Kavalan whiskey beats the Scots own

Bump. I want to buy one, maybe two, bottles of Kavalan for family in Canada - I’ll be going there for a visit in a couple of weeks. My brother and father both enjoy drinking whisky more than I do (I like it, but when other people are then discussing it, I don’t have much to say). What and how is a good way to buy Kavalan before going overseas? At a shop in town, and pack in my luggage? Or is it any cheaper at the airport? Will this be the first time in my life buying duty free? (I don’t even know how duty-free shopping works! What happens with the bottles?)

Yeah, I get that it’s over-priced for what it is, but what the heck, Taiwan Up and all that.

[quote=“lostinasia”]Bump. I want to buy one, maybe two, bottles of Kavalan for family in Canada - I’ll be going there for a visit in a couple of weeks. My brother and father both enjoy drinking whisky more than I do (I like it, but when other people are then discussing it, I don’t have much to say). What and how is a good way to buy Kavalan before going overseas? At a shop in town, and pack in my luggage? Or is it any cheaper at the airport? Will this be the first time in my life buying duty free? (I don’t even know how duty-free shopping works! What happens with the bottles?)

Yeah, I get that it’s over-priced for what it is, but what the heck, Taiwan Up and all that.[/quote]

Best selection and cheapest at the distillery. Get the Solist ones. The Ex Bourbon, the ex Sherry and the Vinho Barrique. Those are about 3 to 4 times more expensive in the USA and hard to get !

The Fino is also three times the distillery price but at some 6600ntd, a bit pricey.

The airport only has the run of the mill stuff. Good but not brilliant .

Only the Solist series are brilliant .

I think bout 80 usd at the distillery but 3 times more or even more in the US.

youtube.com/watch?v=7WUt9NS4zyU

youtube.com/watch?v=1lVj8pPjqNw

youtube.com/watch?v=xshl__3w0hY

alcademics.com/2015/06/kaval … aiwan.html

That’s out in Yilan, right? I doubt I’ll be heading over there. (Sigh. Auto-correct wants to change “Yilan” to “Milan” and for some reason that makes me sad.)

Is it much cheaper to buy at the distillery versus, say, Carrefour or Costco or Drinks or the little booths they often have in Mr. Brown Coffee?

[quote=“tommy525”]Get the Solist ones. The Ex Bourbon, the ex Sherry and the Vinho Barrique. Those are about 3 to 4 times more expensive in the USA and hard to get !

The Fino is also three times the distillery price but at some 5000ntd, a bit pricey… Only the Solist series are brilliant .[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestions!

Not all Mr. Brown cafes have the Kavalan section, and they are quite limited in terms of selection. However, the one on the intersection of Zhongshan and Chang An is well stocked and/or they can help you order -especially the latest one which is really hard to find, but considered the best so far.

My brother in law bought a liter (of Classic I think) at Costco for around 2000ish and it came with a tiny bottle of the solist and two glasses. The same 700ml bottle cost about the same elsewhere. I haven’t seen Kavalan at Costco recently though. He said it was absolutely worth it.

I bought a 200ml bottle (400 TWD) of the Concertmaster Port Cask (greenish glass) to take home to family (I am too poor for a full 700ml bottle). It was awesome. Not harsh at all and a lot of flavor. I am not an expert though.

The airport will have limited selection of Kavalan, but if you don’t care which blend, the airport might be the easiest for you. Buying from duty free is easy, just show them your boarding pass and pay in NT or $. I think you could pay in other currency, but I could be wrong. You’ll get the bottle on the spot, but they wrap it in their duty free bag so don’t open it until you arrive at home. Also, it’s 1L per person so basically only one bottle. You can always bring a few bottles in your checked luggage and hope you don’t get checked.

I go to the King Car distillery once a month to stock up on their whiskey for gifts back home. Prices are cheaper, but its a bit of a drive. A few years ago before the Solist Vinho blew up, I bought about 20 bottles at once. Nowadays, they are either sold out or it’s only one per customer. Just from my own experience in TW, not a lot of locals bring or drink Kavalan. Anyone agree or disagree?

Another post mentioned to get the Sherry Single, which is one of my favorites. Kavalan makes a great gift back home!

[quote=“Robotea”]The airport will have limited selection of Kavalan, but if you don’t care which blend, the airport might be the easiest for you. Buying from duty free is easy, just show them your boarding pass and pay in NT or $. I think you could pay in other currency, but I could be wrong. You’ll get the bottle on the spot, but they wrap it in their duty free bag so don’t open it until you arrive at home. Also, it’s 1L per person so basically only one bottle. You can always bring a few bottles in your checked luggage and hope you don’t get checked.

I go to the King Car distillery once a month to stock up on their whiskey for gifts back home. Prices are cheaper, but its a bit of a drive. A few years ago before the Solist Vinho blew up, I bought about 20 bottles at once. Nowadays, they are either sold out or it’s only one per customer. Just from my own experience in TW, not a lot of locals bring or drink Kavalan. Anyone agree or disagree?

Another post mentioned to get the Sherry Single, which is one of my favorites. Kavalan makes a great gift back home![/quote]

I have tried all of them (at least the ones available on my last trip to the rock - 2012) except the Fino. Because they didn’t have small bottles of the Fino and it was something like 5500nt then (maybe more now?). Too pricey !!

I only bought small bottles of the others too as Kavalan is pricey ! And I liked the Solist ex Sherry the best. That one has won many awards as has the Solist ex whiskey and the Vinho Barrique which I didn’t like THAT much won one of the top awards. That is why it’s so sought after now.

There is a less expensive ex sherry i hear which could be worth a try. Even the classic is not bad. The green bottle one is also good.

But if you are going to be paying mucho dinero, you may as well buy the champions, which are the Solist ones ! The run of the mill at something like double Johnny Walker Black is not really worth double Johnny Walker Black.

The Solists because of their fame internationally WERE priced around 135 a bottle or so , but they are very very hard to get and go on sale at smaller stores or online for many times that . The Fino has been known to sell for 600 dollars and MORE . But reviews on the Fino seem to say (to me) that it is not worth more then a regular Solist.

So certainly truck down to the distillery (its a great few hours visit anyways) and get a couple 700cc bottles of Ex Solist or a couple more smaller bottles of different kinds, is even better.

They are all very very different so the more you can find the better. Of you can do what I did and buy a much of tiny bottles so as to try as many kinds (like all kinds) as possible. I don’t think the Fino comes in small bottles still but if it does, get one to try.

Did you click on those links i put on earlier? well worth seeing them and reading the last link

Pretty sure the Fino was one guy (Jim Murray) who named it whisky of the year, I’m not sure it has won any awards beyond that like some of the others have. I tend to trust the juried competitions because you aren’t relying on one particular individual’s taste. I bought a bottle, have had like two glasses of it, and I’m not sure when or if I’ll ever finish it. It’s just so so to me.

Kavalan’s website I think lists all its awards if you want specifics. Never had the Fino, but yes, I read some mixed reviews. It seems more hype than substance.

Sorry, I was confused. It’s the Vinho Barrique that I think is so so. I actually like the Fino, but not for the price. It’s also hard to tell on their website which awards go with which bottling because I’m pretty sure that the Vinho Barrique was only released in 2015 but it shows awards from other years. I’m probably wrong, but they could stand to focus their efforts a little imo. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I was confused. It’s the Vinho Barrique that I think is so so. I actually like the Fino, but not for the price. It’s also hard to tell on their website which awards go with which bottling because I’m pretty sure that the Vinho Barrique was only released in 2015 but it shows awards from other years. I’m probably wrong, but they could stand to focus their efforts a little imo. :slight_smile:[/quote]

I haven’t had the fino but i had a small bottle of the vinho back in 2012. And I thought it was “unusual” and liked the ex sherry and the ex whiskey better.

And yet it won a very prestigious award. See my link on this

youtube.com/watch?v=1lVj8pPjqNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHFVNGRMUhc

The Solist ex sherry is my fav so far.
These guys even confused Taiwan with Thailand at some point too. Not surprised . Seems a great deal of the world thinks Taiwan and Thailand is the same place still

Maybe Taiwan should join up with Thailand?

Guys, there are like 6 kinds of Solist. Be specific!

Not true^ there are more than 6

See? That is my point! Specifics, guys!

Ill just list em for clarity,
Sherry, bourbon, port, fino, brandy, vinho, amontillado, moscatel, manzanilla, and px
Think i got them all.

Thanks. Now I need Tommy to voice his choice.

I’m not a huge fan of whisky, or at least not in the way they drink it in Taiwan during meals. I often go to their factory though, as it’s very close to where I live and we like to try new things. Their Vinho (the one with blue label and a very warm red color) is absolutely amazing. It’s not even the most expensive, I wonder if going up in price their whiskies get better or just “different”.

It gets better but i think many people will think its not worth the extra 5000nt

Uhm…in that case I think I’ll get one of those really tiny sample bottles to try the more expensive one. Even my wife is not a huge whisky drinker, but when we got the Vinho she loved it.
I’m more of a vodka guy, but I have to admit Kavalan is making something that is really nice.