Taiwanese men's attitude toward Inter-racial/Inter-national couples

I had to get physical once with a security guard who got right up in my wife’s face about being with a foreigner. He was hefty and she’s vertically challenged so I stepped between the two as they yelled in each other’s faces and shoved him on his ass. He didn’t say another word after he landed hard and none of the several witnesses did or said anything. He had been shouting at my wife in Taiwanese and she wouldn’t tell me afterwards what he said because she said it was too vile to repeat. Apparently that was the reason why none of the witnesses turned on me.

I think any ethnic group or nationality’s men can be insecure about “their women” getting with other other racial/ethnic/nationalities. I experienced the same thing in the US dating white women in overall more racist states like Texas Virginia or Florida. My girlfriend also told me to be prepared for people to stare at us and possibly say something when I go to Italy with her (she’s Italian) because I lose my cool pretty easily and get really confrontational and aggressive.

I’ve gotten some stink eye from white women in the U.S. when I’m there with my wife and we’re out by ourselves. When our kids are with us, nothing. My wife interprets it as anti-Asian bigotry but I tell her that’s not the likely explanation on the West Coast.

I have never sensed stink eye when with the family in Taiwan, get noticeable amounts of the approval eye. Strangers saying hello asking his old our kid is and things like that.

Stink eye hasn’t been super common for me here, but in Osaka it was pretty noticeable. One older lady gasped and made a face like I took a crap on her lawn. Another old guy, at Osaka Castle, gave me the unwavering death stare. I just smiled at him. Nobody seemed to care in Tokyo, Nara, or Kyoto.

Older people in England also gave the occasional suspicious glance.

:slight_smile:

I remember the first time where I thought about race as a factor in date was when I was maybe 14-15 when I was on a date with a girl who was white. For me at that point it was just one human being liking another. But we were at Starbucks in Texas and this old couple behind us said something like “I wonder if they are dating, are their families ok with this?” To themselves but loud enough where I could hear. And some of the girls friends would be like what is it like dating an Asian guy, asking stereotypical questions. It was so strange, because before that I saw myself as just a regular guy.