Taiwanese wife and daughter moving to the UK

Hi All,

My wife, who is a Taiwanese National, plans to move with me to the UK. She has a daughter who will be joining us. Could someone point me in the right direction to find out the legal procedures or any advice would be great.
Thanks!

I’m not sure anyone is a lawyer, and one that knows immigration law for the U.K. I would seriously considering contacting one to help you. Not that anyone would lie here but best to get serious legal advice like this from actual lawyers.

If you need some references to good immigration lawyers in the U.K. I know a few. Let me know.

Hello Macca, (and everyone else in the forum)

My Wife is Taiwanese we met and married in the UK but still had to apply for a dependents visa.

just a brief outline:
The visa for your wife is quite straight forward, you have to prove you are married and its not a sham marriage ect. that you have the financial resources to be able to support your wife with out the aid of the state.
You will have to pay for the application process and pay a NHS supplement for your wife

all the information is on:
https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration

As for her daughter this becomes more complicated, a few years ago i helped a friend in a in the a similar situation and he had to prove that the they had sole responsibility for the child.

they had to get a letter from the court in their home country stating that the biological farther had given up all rights to the child and that the child was in-fact there dependant.

Then the same rules as above applied.

In the case of my friend this was done in two stages due to family complications,
First he and his wife came to the uk and the child stayed with grandparents while all the legal side was sorted with the courts, the second visa application was made and his wife went back around 6months later to finalise everything and bring the child with her.

there are basic criteria that you will need to meet these are outlined on the government website, but you can always submit any additional information for special consideration.

as for getting a legal representative this is always good advice, but no advocate service can guarantee you can get the visas.

it is better to go through the website yourself and get an understanding of the process,
even phoning or emailing the immigration service when you get confused.

i have found them to be very helpful in both my case and the case where i was assisting my friend.

then if you do need some sort of advocate to represent you have a look on line for uk immigration charities, that can point you in the right direction giving out free advice and will have a list of approved legal representatives if that is whats needed.

Having been settled in the UK my wife and i are about to emigrate to Taiwan, and even though there is red tape and bureaucracy in a move to any country, i find that moving to Taiwan is much easier then when we settled in the uk.

Don’t be put off by the amount of paperwork that is needed and the amount of running around you will have to do.
Just take you time print of draft copies of the application forms and the handbooks that go with it, plan out what you need to do and what paperwork you need to get and give yourself time to do it.

Waiting a few weeks longer so you can check your visa application properly, is better than having to do it all again because something is wrong.

1 Like