Taiwan's aging population, low birth rates, and Taiwan's ethnic makeup

Yea, create additional burdens by giving them a pet. Great idea.

Except you can get a cat or dog free easily. Taking care of them is not quite free.

1 Like

The litterbox is where this idea belongs.

“Give birth to a child and I will let you raise one more pet,” he said, according to a translation by Formosa TV. “A cat, a dog. Give birth to two, and I will let you adopt two more.”

Getting a pet in Taiwan does not require government permission. Gou said he had recently visited an animal shelter, and felt that two issues could be solved together.

“If there is no birthrate in the future, who will take care of our furry friends?” he told reporters later. “So I have put these two issues together. You can’t expect me, one person, to propose a complete policy for every little matter. Adding and multiplying love, that’s my goal.”

3 Likes

This is a myth. Taiwan remains the most popular destination for migrant workers from Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines and Indonesia and will remain so for the foreseeable future. The number of Thai migrant workers in particular is back in upward trend (59k in 2019 and 66k in 2022) as covid and the subsequent global economic crisis impacted developing countries a lot more than it did Taiwan.

Other than SE Asian spouses, how many stay long term?

EDIT: You’re talking about overall numbers of short term workers. My mistake. Apologies!

I actually think the government should make it easier for them to stay long term. They eventually will get there because there’s no other option. Even if the number of newborns increases this year and next year (which it will as the number of married couples increased in 2022 and this year), it’s still way below replacement level and the people will have to get used to lots of immigrants from SE (and potentially southern) Asia.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree enough.

Government has made changes to allow migrant workers to stay longer but not as APRC holders. They did allow a change for domestic caretakers to get APRC,

Looking at demographics it needs to be applied to the future. Always an issue with politicians.

Qualified migrant workers in manufacturing, construction, and agriculture can also be reclassified as intermediate skilled workers just like caregivers.

There are now a total of 8,994 migrant workers who have been reclassified as ISWs: 5,257 caregivers and 3,737 ‘production’ (產業) workers.

There were just 800 or so at the beginning of the year.

In four or five years they will be eligible for permanent residence.

2 Likes

Nothing like a billionaire to understand people’s struggles.

4 Likes