Taiwan's Awesome Fruits!

Why’s the fruit here so dammmmm goooooood?
Is it volcanic soil? Someone told me that it was volcanic soil.
Do they put drugs in it?

Love that Taiwan fruit.

[quote=“Sinister Tiddlywinks”]Why’s the fruit here so dammmmm goooooood?
Is it volcanic soil? Someone told me that it was volcanic soil.
Do they put drugs in it?

Love that Taiwan fruit.[/quote]

iv always loved many taiwan fruits that are incomparable elsewhere.

the taiwan wild mango (even better then the bigger phillippines variety) is my all time favorite
i also love the DRAGON EYES , the lychee, the waxapple, the papaya, taiwan banana (best in the world) , and one called “shek keeyahh” ( i have no idea what its called elsewhere, if it exists) is superb. Found especially good in Taitung. Its soft and has a very short RIPE time when its perfect. IM allergic to pineapple, too bad cuz taiwan pineapple considered best in world, even better then hawaii’s

what do you like?

now taiwan also imports from the usa CHERRIES (by air no less) and USA peaches and PEARS and apples. what else?

ideas people?

Lychees here are the best i have ever had, and they are so cheap in comparison to australia/europe. pawpaw (papaya) is great here too, as are the local mangos.

pineapples are pretty good, but i have had just as good in Oz.
not so keen on their peaches and i really miss good apricots and nectarines.

its a pity they don’t grow more mangosteen (mountain bamboo fruit?). have to get my fix in thailand.

i wish you could get British summer fruit here (cheaply) like raspberries and blackberries. I’d murder for a summer pudding and clotted cream

1 Like

[quote=“urodacus”]Lychees here are the best i have ever had, and they are so cheap in comparison to australia/europe. pawpaw (papaya) is great here too, as are the local mangos.

pineapples are pretty good, but i have had just as good in Oz.
not so keen on their peaches and i really miss good apricots and nectarines.

its a pity they don’t grow more mangosteen (mountain bamboo fruit?). have to get my fix in thailand.[/quote]

far as i know , mangosteen is not grown in taiwan at all. Mangosteen is imported from Thailand i believe. Taiwan also imports durian and rambutan from Thailand i understand. I LOVE mangosteen

taiwan has two kinds of peaches, one thats real hard , but still tasty, sort of like an apple and also they grow the soft japanese white peaches in LiShan. they are super tasty but soo expensive. Almost 50nt for ONE .

you could import them into taiwan by air. some bloke with a similar idea started importing cherrys from usa and also american apples and peaches and pears, etc. Look into it maybe? STart a new product line ?

Durian, BAH, the smell in the supermarkets makes me puke. Like they forgot to remove a dead body somewhere.

On the other hand, the Taiwanese strawberries, JUM!
I give it another 10 post before this thread will go off-topic caus of pesticides used hehe…

How many posts you said?

This pic was made last Saturday down east … and I have no idea why they are using pesticides because all the fruit is wrapped in PP bags …

Anyways … the fruit was delicious … sweet

Strawberries here are like multiple orgasms for the mouth. The watermelon is also amazing. I eat a pear almost every day. Hard to believe something healthy can taste so good!!

I eat a pear a day as well. I typically go with the 新世紀 pears since they’re the cheapest, but still fantastic. But those 蜜梨, sweet f@#$ing Jesus, those are some good pears. Not cheap (a box of 6 cost 150NT), but damn they are the best.

Wow, it’s requiring a super-human amount of self-restraint to resist making a joke about this.

The fruit’s great, but I do miss some British fruit like the varieties of apple we have. The apples here are watery and tasteless. Everything else is brilliant, though.

Thai fruit is also great; I love the pineapple, and rambutan.

The one fruit I miss that isn’t mentioned here yet: blueberries. Bushels of them when they’re in season. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

My mom always knew what I’d been doing if I disappeared in the morning when I stayed with her through college in the summertime. I’d come back in with a blue mouth and a few marks on my hands and face. Don’t get me thinking about the bushes out back of our house or I’m apt to start salivating or checking the date on my plane ticket.

Your apples must be different than our apples. Cuz American apples are watery and tasteless too.

And we have blueberries in Taiwan???

[quote=“SuchAFob”]Your apples must be different than our apples. Cuz American apples are watery and tasteless too.

And we have blueberries in Taiwan???[/quote]

Costco and a few other places. Frozen of course so hardly worthwhile except with some ice cream or yoghurt.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“SuchAFob”]Your apples must be different than our apples. Cuz American apples are watery and tasteless too.

And we have blueberries in Taiwan???[/quote]

Costco and a few other places. Frozen of course so hardly worthwhile except with some ice cream or yoghurt.[/quote]

Costo has them even fresh, blueberries … Chilean or American and others but pricey, like 360 NT$ for a tray 500 gr or something.

Fie on that! I would rather wait six months and do pick it yourself at home - $4 US / kg. Good exercise in addition to getting blueberries, sign me up!

i think Taiwans fruits are goood because of

Climate
Volcanic soil
lots of rainwater (versus ground water)

gosh i sure do miss taiwan fruit . gimme some dragoneyes, some taiwan mango, papaya>>>>>> yummy

my fav way to eat papaya

split in two and scoop out the seeds. fill with CARNATION milk and eat. YUMMY

in Thailand they have papaya split , instead of banana split. Great idea

question about waxapple, are you suppose to soak it with salt water for like 10,15 min then eat it? to take away the chemicals, Taiwanese do it with grapes and vegetables, should I do it with waxapple too and anything else?

the taiwanese eat salt with fruit because it makes their taste enhanced. wierd but true. especially with wax apple.

i never have liked bananas much but i have been digging these lately

not sure if local, kinda think so though

1 Like