Taiwan's Awesome Fruits!

Liu Dung is what you get after you eat a lot of Liu Ding (which is Taiwanese orange, and super sweet versus the merican kind).

Taiwan has Pomelo that is very large and super sweet and totally GOOD. But rare nowadays so mostly imported from Thailand (still excellent). The grapefruits are usually imported from the USA and sour, but not to be confused with pomelo. Still good tho as grapefruit.

My absolute fav is the small taiwan mango. Its got an incomparable taste !!

And watermelon,too.[/quote]

My wife does that, I believe it’s to take away the acidity , especially pineapples, grapes, tomatoes, (veg, I know!) which cause ulcers in your mouth. It is also to add to the taste of course.[/quote]

Salt on watermelon is just weird, but it makes sense on some of the more acidic fruits. It removes some of the acidity and actually makes the fruit taste sweeter. This is especially true for pineapples.

Mmmmm…brings back memories of hiking around 六龜 (Liugui in Kaohsiung Country) and picking up wild ripe mangoes off the ground. We must have gathered around 40 or so mangoes and ate them all when we reached the top. burp

Love those “little green apple” like things.

In a blender with slices of pineapple and some milk & ice cubes…MMMMmmmmmmm!

Or just munch on 'em outta the fridge…good stuff

Be careful they have a large seed/pit inside - take that out first!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Love those “little green apple” like things.

Be careful they have a large seed/pit inside - take that out first![/quote]

am i right that those are dates? never cared for them much, will try your recipe though

another one i never got was persimmons

not crazy about starfruit or those little “xianggua” melons either

salt or salt water on any fruit (apart from perhaps tomatoes) is an abomination. i LIKE the sour acidity of pineapples and lemons.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Love those “little green apple” like things.

Be careful they have a large seed/pit inside - take that out first![/quote]

am i right that those are dates? never cared for them much, will try your recipe though

another one i never got was persimmons

not crazy about starfruit or those little “xianggua” melons either[/quote]

Zhuolan in Miaoli County has great starfruit, you have to eat the big ones and in the right season, totally different taste.
Persimmons may not be the greatest tasting but it sure is an exotic looking fruit, looks like an orange tomato growing on a tree.
The green one you are talking about is like a small apple right but kind of shape of a kiwi fruit, I don’t think that’s a date is it? Is it is Litchi or something along those lines…

Interestingly and kind of incredibly Taiwan does have some colder summer fruits such as mulberries in the mountains here and you can buy mulberry (american blackcurrant?) organic jam (jelly) in the shops here which is excellent and made in Taiwan! It may be from the same trees that were previously grown for silk production.

Each to their own…personally I found a bit of salt on pineapple works wonders…especially if the pineapple is very acidic.

I never tried these – Japanese persimmons – until a few weeks ago and didn’t know what they are till a few minutes ago, but mmmmmmm they sure are good. My wife doesn’t like them, but what does she know.

Lemons? You eat lemons? :astonished:

God I miss the fruit there. I have actually thrown away about half the fruit I’ve bought lately because it is inedible.

I LOVE durian. But then again, I’m also a chronic masturbater.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I never tried these – Japanese persimmons – until a few weeks ago and didn’t know what they are till a few minutes ago, but mmmmmmm they sure are good. My wife doesn’t like them, but what does she know.

[/quote]

I had one the other day that was crunchy and sweet, pretty good, maybe that was one of those, i remembered them as being kind of gummy.

Just getting into the persimmons. Five lined up on the wall at home, they’ve replaced the you-zi / pomelos of a month or so ago. God, for about a fortnight it didn’t seem to matter whoever we went to visit, we were coming back with a bagful of you-zi, it was great. That is my current Top Fruit.

But back to the persimmon, this is a new fruit for me, and I got to say I’m warming towards it. And don’t they just LOOK good, especially if you give them a quick polish, a buff and shine, every morning.

Ooooh Matron!

Keep your dirty hands off my ripe persimmons …

Mmmmmm. I’m eating kumquats with my lunch today. Love 'em. :slight_smile:

kumquats = yummy

durian = like the smell, havent actually taken a bite yet

persimmons = ugh

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Mmmmmm. I’m eating kumquats with my lunch today. Love 'em. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Eat them!? :astonished:

Ten years in Taiwan and I’ve never eaten them, just had them with my green tea.

My cats love that every year I buy a smal kumquat tree. They play basketball with the fruit, eat the leaves, pull the roots out…

You bet. They’re great. Very sweet but tart. No need to peel them. Just wash them and eat them whole, skin and all. I highly recommend them. :lick: