Taiwan's growing talent drain :facebook:

My opinion (not necessarily factual) is more akin to this article:

So to answer your question, I do believe the main Chinese cities offer a better opportunity than the Taiwanese cities for the younger generation. Standards of living I am unsure, but in terms of ability to generate wealth, yup.

Watching my long time friends’ children has made me somewhat pessimistic. In general, the “talented” children seem to be headed abroad…while the “not-so-talented” are sticking around Taiwan. Either way their parents are paying the bills for their education and subsequent comfortable life styles wherever they live. Very few of their children have plan to work their way up in a standard corporate workplace way if you know what I mean. Well, hard to blame the young adults as their parents are basically supporting them in almost all facets of their lives.

While salaries are low in many companies, the young adults seem to not be too bothered as they are not very focused on moving up the ladder. If no promotion they simply go to another country for language studies and come back a year later to find another job.

Of course, there are the hard working ones…but they are the minority among the people I know.

Never mind if you can’t even spell in this environment, then you must be proper fucked…

Talented children? More like children with rich parents. I’ve heard of people who could barely get a 6.5 on IELTS or a 100 on TOEFL yet went on to freakin’ Cambridge (or other prestigious schools in America) for their master’s. The only reason they were able do so is because their parents are loaded. I don’t want to sound like a snob but situations like this are just fucking laughable: both the students themselves and the fact that institutions of higher learning in the west have come to such a low point that, in order to survive, they now have to accept all these Asian kids who can barely understand a word during lectures/seminars. (not that everyone’s like that, but it’s a well-known phenomenon)

Back to topic, this kind of articles come up so frequently that I don’t really see the point of discussion now.

2 Likes

Starting a business here is not so straight-forward. After navigating the government red-tape, you have the local “bosses” to deal with. As @finley more or less stated, if someone does not like your business, then a visit from the baseball bat boys is in order. Yeah, there are problems with muscle everywhere, but here it is just so transparent and so engrained in the government -in Taichung, a city leader is a boss, that what are little entrepreneurs to do?

There were figures about that and if including China and Hong Kong the number was like 1000-1500, so about … Idk how much, maybe 3-4% of the high schoolers.

The truth is it’s just too much of a hassle to study abroad for most people. It’s far more popular amongst college graduates, and even that isn’t as popular as before as a) it’s expensive, and b) it’s extremely hard to stay and work in whichever country they studied in unless they are exceptionally good or got married there; what’s the point of spending a shitload of money on studying when your only option is to come back anyway?

He said what?

Another incredibly insightful, incisive comment from rocket.

1 Like

Yeah, I wasn’t suggesting baseball bats (although I’m aware that does happen, sometimes). No need to use violence when there are plenty of legal ways to make competitors magically disappear.

Although I noticed upon perusing the annual reports of some major Taiwanese banks that the high level managers and CEOs all seem to be graduates of American prestigious schools or at the very least Taiwan university or Chenggong .

Normal local graduates don’t stand a chance to improve themselves or get ahead. Many students waste tons of money going to diploma mill schools thinking they just must have a degree only to make the same crap wages as anyone else.

All their figures are rubbish. 700 people took out bank loans to study? How the fuck is that a significant figure? “High school students who leave Taiwan to study abroad can earn NT$3 million after they graduate from college”…3 million? Who makes 3 million in a salaried position? No one, that’s who.

I didn’t even know that there were bank loans for studying abroad lmao.

I thought the bats were a legal method!

Well, the two often go hand in hand. How many “legal” people are not on “payroll”? How do you stop the fox from attacking the henhouse, when he is working with the roosters?

It is the same everywhere. If you have enough money, then you can grease the right amount of palms and get things done. Do not miss a payment!

Even Morris Chang got tired of the thuggery.

90% of these Graduates won’t find a company overseas who will sponsor them, why would they? There are thousands of qualified Americans from Top schools vying for the same job.
I only see Super Smart Indian people achieve this rare category who get sponsored because their brains are super computers and they go on to be CEO of Pepsi, Google or Microsoft. For girls they can get married. Ive seen this happen and I’ve seen countless people from TW go to US or UK to Study and end up coming back even those who went to good colleges. Berkeley, UCLA, Kings College etc.

1 Like

The whole system if corrupt and broken.

1 Like

Truly talented kids, are thriving anywhere there is opportunity. There isn’t a brain drain as much as there is a situation where more affluent kids get to go abroad and party and stay there or come back and get a job with connections.

Almost nobody. Something like 1-2% of workforce.

The major concentration of high earners is in hsinchu sicene park, they do very well when the shares and earnings are good. The engineers from good schools start at 1 million and if good can go on to 1, 2 , 3 million and up with bonuses .

It’s true enough .A lot of the top management will always be related to chairman’s and major shareholders families.

It’s also true in most multinationals that they tend to select the folks with the ivy league degrees for the top positions. Seen as a safe bet or alumni network but it’s very common.

Also, at least here, the top management positions are all about the B School. Which, in Taiwan, generally means you come from some kind of dough.
So money begets money.

1 Like

Yes, it is.

Can it be fixed? Yes.

Will it? No.

1 Like