Taiwan's recent election inspires its neighbors?

Hong Kong’s DPP was formed last december.
news.ltn.com.tw/news/world/breakingnews/1539387

Today Japan’s Democratic Party (民主党) and Japan Innovation Party (維新党) decided to merge and rename the new organization DPP (民進党)
news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6194451
setn.com/News.aspx?NewsID=130086

Some Japanese people are asking why isn’t the new party called 民維党 by taking each original party’s first Kanji. Why is it 民進党 instead? Ironically, the Democratic side wanted to keep the original name. It was the JIP representatives that wanted to change it to DPP.

Prior to the formation of Taiwan’s DPP, there was no other party around the Hanji sphere that used this name. Now there’s 3. The two new ones all chose the name around Taiwan’s recent election. The one in Japan is even Japan’s second largest political party.

Is Taiwan’s recent election influencing its neighbors?

If not, then it’s just a VERY interesting coincidence…

In any case, I don’t think having the same name as a Taiwanese party will help much. It may, in fact, confuse the foreigner media.

Influencing Hong Kong is highly plausible, but Japan? :ponder: :no-no:

Best wishes to the newly named opposition party in Japan. I really hope (against all reason) that they will get their act together.

Guy

I don’t know my Japanese politics very well, but it seems a little ironic to me that the Democratic Party there is historically the more China friendly party. Wasn’t it under the Democratic Party that Japan repeatedly snubbed Taiwan from mention for its Fukushima assistance?

I would say with certainty that the new name is inspired by Taiwan’s DPP and not just a coincidence. Taiwan’s DPP has very good relations with both DPJ and LDP, and Taiwan’s DPP is in all respects social-democrats and not state-capitalist.

Japan’s new party will probably not be China-friendly anymore. They can’t afford to be.

The headline in the HK article is interesting: 香港成立「民主進步黨」 黨名來自對民進黨的羨慕. Hong Kong Establishes Democratic Progressive Party, Party Name a Result of Envy of the (Taiwanese) DPP

Rough translation but you get the idea (anyone feel free to correct the translation). Interesting. And I like it! This has got to ruffle some feathers in China.

What? :astonished:

Without the Republic of China, Japan would not be a democracy today. South Korea, being an Imperial Japanese colony, would also not be a democracy. The same with Taiwan.

You are again confusing the USA with the Republic of China.

You are again confusing the USA with the Republic of China.[/quote]

Following Dirt’s logic, w/o Japanese colonialism, Taiwan and Korea would have still been a part of Qing China and thus not democracies today either. Vietnam, Singapore, Malaya (not Malaysia) and the Dutch East Indies (not Indonesia) would also still be Western colonies too.

This argument is about as valid as saying ‘without Greece, there would not be an Europe today’, ‘without Africa, there would not be a living human-being today’, ‘without Hitler’s parents, WWII wouldn’t happen’.

How logical.