Taiwan's Road Safety Reports Mask a Worsening Record

I don’t know if the data hypothesized in the article is accurate, but I’ll agree that “crossing the road or driving a scooter is like dicing with death”.

peoples attitudes are a big problem. they don’t think they are driving unsafely. right of way to pedestrians or lesser vehicles is never given, it has to be taken (by walking infront of a moving car) and pedestrians don’t think they are in any danger, they trust the cars to stop and let them pass and not run them over. when someone does get run over its seen as an accident only, not something that could be prevented because of how fucked the traffic system is here.

i hate it, and i don’t see it improving anytime soon.

3 Likes

It’s MUCH worse out there than is being portrayed. Walk or drive around this country for 5 days and guaranteed to see a dozen accidents. I count 2 to 3 daily just in my world

you a paramedic? :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl:

Some days I’ll drive past 2-3 accidents on the highway. In my neighborhood we see scooter and car accidents nearly daily. Average of a dozen or so a week it all adds up to

Where you guys live???

KHH now.
It’s a blissful little town. Full of wide open streets and open parking spaces everywhere. Cars have to go out of their way to try and hit scooters. :wink:

1 Like

Almost every day I see an accident involving a scooter.

Try Sanchong. My guess is there are ~ 3 scooters per square inch.

Since police are rarely proactive to fine drivers breaking laws, these drivers eventually break more and more laws with no fear of fines. Why stop at the red light when the two cars in front of you did not stop?

I have lived in Taiwan for 20 years and have never seen a driver stopped while driving recklessly at very high speeds in the middle of town (or near a school), for passing cars using the motorcycle lane, for using cellphone while driving, etc. (a hundred different infractions) I have seen thousands of cars run red lights.

I have heard of fines for various infractions but have not witnessed this miracle myself.

It’s not in their job description for that day. Daily job is: cruise around on your scooter, come in for tea, go do more cruising, come in for more tea, hang out, go home.

I’m in Kaohsiung enjoying a three day weekend. I rented a scooter, and within the first hour on the road watched two different instances of scooters blowing through the red lights.

After the second time, as I sat there at the light, I thought to myself, “You may have left Taoyuan, but you’ll never be far from the clueless, selfish, dangerous folks who shouldn’t be driving.”

I witness this shit almost every day while on the roads in Taoyuan. You’d think I’d be used to it by now after ten years here, but it still raises my blood pressure.

I would say Taichung is a big exception.

Cops here have a huge hard on for traffic ticket revenue, red lights , turning right, no helmet, they will find it all and mercilessly write a ticket.

Actually I think they have been too aggressive since nobody here dares to ride helmet less, run lights, etc… I think they cut off their own revenue stream. I see cops waiting around the corner for a long time waiting for the right turner without success

The south on the other hand…

Sounds like Taichung is doing it right then! How to motivate active police enforcement should be at the TOP of the government’s list of actions to sort this place out. Come on Taiwan wake up and smell the goddamn Chou Dou Fu

While you may be right about the cops waiting for the right turners, etc., traffic safety is still a clusterfuck here at best. I’m in Nantun, and there is some money. That means nice cars. Don’t forget, in this culture, if you’re car costs more you are entitled to do as you please to the “less worthy” pedestrians, drivers of scooters, or non-luxury vehicles. They break the laws becuase they aren’t enforced strictly enough, there are no consequences. Cops do the parking ticket and helmet thing, but I’ve never seen anyone stopped for reckless shit, even in front of a cop, no less!!!

The Taiwanese, to me, can be some the nicest people in the world, but put them behind the wheel and they are the most arrogant, selfish, and “entitled” cocksuckers ive ever seen. Plain and simple. I Love it here, but can’t wait to leave.

2 Likes

I think my perspective comes from being in Kaohsiung for 4 years, Taichung seems damn right civil in comparison.

But agree about the expensive cars, they get a pass anywhere in Taiwan to do what they want.
Almost got ran over last month by a driver in a black Mercedes that swing a U-turn across the red light. I definitely was not expecting that and jumped right quick. The driver saw me but didn’t care and expected that I would get out of the way

http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201801250019.aspx

“and rigid enforcement of traffic laws”…:rofl:

I can’t tell the difference between drunk driving and sober driving here. Maybe I’m not looking hard enough.

This guy obviously doesn’t understand what those city hall posters mean. The number indicates the traffic-related deaths from January, not the number of traffic-related deaths each month, of course the number would only go up in October, November, and December.

I’m not sure if I got it either…
Do you mean the number is the total traffic-related deaths since January?
So, they rest the count every year?