Taking a job with the intent of quitting

‘Employing someone with the intention of firing them.’ Probably wouldn’t go down so well.

Happens as well, though.

There is a difference where somebody resigns from a job with required notice, and somebody who just walks out the door.

The CLA were correct to tell you he was still under contract to another employer. After all thats what contracts are for. Once the contract ceased properly he would have been able to get another work permit. Many people employed under contract cannot just walk out the door and start employment with another company.

Completely different thing than being blacklisted from working in Taiwan ever again. Just my huble opinion.

What’s likely to happen if a dude were to, say, quit without giving notice as required in an original agreement?

If I remember correctly, the CLA’s Labor Standards Act does state a minimum number of days’ notice based upon the length of employment. I think for less than one year it’s ten days, but don’t quote me on that.

The dude’s boss will be pissed off? :wink:

The dude’s boss is allowed to enforce the contract so long as no illegal sanctions are imposed on the dude. Illegal provisions in such a contract can only be sanctioned by the court, as far as I know.

The dude has to follow employment law when resigning, too, to avoid being penalized.

I believe that this was a gray area that was never fully explained. Doesn’t the CLA simply say that they have to give a reasonable # of days notice while some contracts say they need to give 1 (my contract) or even 2 months notice. At a minimum reasonable notice needs to be given which might be ten days but I’m not sure on the exact number.

this place I worked at previously gave me a sizeable signing bonus, which I must return if I quit before contract term ends. the catch is cash bonus itself is taxable but the penalty (if enforced) is non-deductible.

This is an interesting thread. I would have thought “find out what the law is, be prepared for your boss to screw you but eat it anyway when you quit.”

Yet, as a teacher, I probably would: let them know I plan to work a couple years once hired; quit if there is something more important than current job (see above); and give notice a month before end of contract but adhere to the contract.

But as someone posted before, the OP could work his 6 months, save as much $ as he can and maybe grab one more paycheck before giving notice? Knowing he’ll be penalized later?

if you already have the intent to quit, then don’t sign any unfavorable long-term contracts. in most fields, references are as important as skill and experience. the only penalty you should settle for is bad rep.
this is what give foreigners bad names. taking a job with the intent of quitting and complain about penalties, after you signed a contract?

It’s illegal for an employer to deduct penalties from your pay, including for breaking a contract. I fought Hess through the CLA on this. It took me five months, but they eventually pulled their heads in.

you sound like a good lawyer

Like any good guerilla warrior, I encouraged them to throw resources at the problem and bled them in a war of attrition that would cost them more to win than to lose. Eventually, they got the idea and let it go.