Taxes before the permit

Hi everyone,

I am just curious. If you start working a couple weeks before a work permit arrives (illegal, I understand) and an employer takes taxes out… Will that somehow tip off the tax department/immigration that you were working without a permit for those two weeks and cause problems? ?

On the one hand, anecdotal evidence suggests they don’t notice and/or don’t care (compartmentalization and all that).

On the other hand, there’s nothing to stop anyone from caring (and claiming the reward for reporting you) and therefore nothing to stop you from getting fined and deported. I can’t think of any employer in Taiwan who’s worth taking that kind of risk for. :2cents:

Hmmm. Gotcha. Thank you!

I’m in a bit of a bind at the moment as the name on my diploma does not match the name on my passport. (A one-letter spelling mistake that originates from my birth certificate). So I’m now unable to apply for a work permit until my university literally replaces my diploma with the new spelling. (After I mail them back the current one) Which is going to take weeks.

Oh boy…

But thanks for your input :slight_smile:

About the name problem, I feel your pain. :sob: Be careful with your middle name too.

Oooh. Could you elaborate? My middle name is on my passport, does my middle name have to be on my diploma?

It shouldn’t be an issue, but you never know.

I’ve had situtions where people could have chosen to make an issue of it but didn’t. Then there was the one time it was an issue, and they could see I was obviously the person named on both documents but refused service anyway. The icing on the cake is that the bank also has a middle name (of sorts) and doesn’t use it consistently.

No problem of course, I will just never do business there again. :slight_smile: