Teaching English to adults

Hello,

I’m Canadian and I’m considering moving to Taiwan. Like most people, teaching English is my only viable work option (unless Taiwanese companies hire software developers that don’t speak mandarin). I have a CELTA and a bachelor’s degree, so technically finding a teaching job in Taiwan shouldn’t be too hard.

Now the thing is I want to teach adults, and as I am beginning to look at teaching job ads (on tealit.com), I notice that not a single one of them offers the opportunity to teach adults full-time. Should I look harder or am I wasting my time?

Head to China.

The vast majority of buxibans cater to children; that’s where the money is. However, there are a few adult gigs out there. They usually don’t advertise because they can easily find teachers, usually by word of mouth from other teachers. The lack of adult schools is why I’ve stayed at the same place for going on nine years now.

Look in areas where there are a lot of business professionals (Hsinchu?), universities, and wealthy areas with bored housewives. That last one is the area where I found my job. Good luck!

Check out: lado.com.tw

Also, most of the adult teaching gigs are business type, 1-1, like LADO, or test preparation such as IELTS or TOEFL.

All right, thanks guys. LADO looks like it might be an interesting option.