Teaching english

Hi, I am an american white male at a major turning point in my life. currently, I am in a situation where i am set up for success and an impressive career, however, I find myself miserable and longing to get out. I have always been interested in the idea of teaching english in taiwan, but i am wondering if i would be looked down on by women for having a low job. I have dated a taiwanese girl growing up in california and am really attracted to the type, so finding a quality partner is important to me. I also enjoy the food and many other aspects of asian culture. I was wondering if i should pursue a successful career then try to find a girl in taiwan/live in taiwan or just do what interests me right now. Will i be looked down on by taiwanese women? also if it matters I am tall and attractive.

Unless you can get seriously credentialed (and maybe even then), English teaching is usually a dead-end job, with little stability. I’m thinking for the sake of your life and career, not for the women who may or may not be impressed (it’s hard to generalize). Is there any way to transfer your successful career to here?

Another option you might find attractive (but unrelated to Taiwan) is joining the Peace Corps.

Making big life choices to fit for the women you want is not a good idea. Make the life you want and find a women who fits and wants the same thing.

[quote=“Zla’od”]Unless you can get seriously credentialed (and maybe even then), English teaching is usually a dead-end job, with little stability. I’m thinking for the sake of your life and career, not for the women who may or may not be impressed (it’s hard to generalize). Is there any way to transfer your successful career to here?

Another option you might find attractive (but unrelated to Taiwan) is joining the Peace Corps.[/quote]
my succesfull career involves being in the united states air force for at least 7 years after i graduate, so no, there is a naval base in taiwan but no air force base

I think your right, however, finding a quality partner is important to my life

Are you asking we low and sexless English teachers for advice, or the beautiful people, such as yourself?

It shouldn’t be an issue. You will be looked down on by women for being full of yourself and baselessly snobbish. Being in the US airforce for not particularly long is unlikely to be seen as a ‘successful career’ by many who haven’t grown up in a militaristic Trump-land. Work hard. Either suck up the seven year year itch or get out and make a new career, but stampeding into some dumb escape fantasy is a Really Bad Idea.

That can go either way. If you’re doing the hot-shit American thing, it’ll probably work against you. If you keep your mouth shut, it might just work. But for God’s sake, don’t try and give companies a written resume: your English is shite.

Not the greatest idea to consider English teaching a low-end job that people may look down upon when posting here in the forums. I hardly consider making a difference in a young child’s life a low end job.

Also if you’d done your research, there’s a whole dedicated forum for “Teaching in Taiwan” that are loaded with members that are teachers and you may have offended a few of them with your OP. Just trying to say, you might not want to offend some of the people that you’re asking advice from.

You’re afraid that a girl will date you based on your job and money in the bank and nothing else? If you have the mind set that you need some big job at some MNC to get a girl, you’re already asking for more than you bargained for.

All the advice I can give you is, YOLO.

it wouldn’t be massively looked down on no. some would, some are going to think all whites here are BHLs(back home losers) no matter what your job is. i would say that wouldn’t make a significant dent on what girls u can get here. if you are a white guy then yes you can get girls, that seems to be what you are getting at. english teaching is a dead end job anyway, that is if you are doing it for the travel opportunity and its not your career of choice. could be fun if you are still young to take a year trip to teach and have fun then go back to your serious career.

coming here to find a woman and getting stuck doing english teaching then getting stuck into a marriage and buying a house ect getting stuck living with the inlaws would suck though, don’t do that.

Does it have to be Taiwan, though? For instance, Guam (a US territory) has Anderson Air Force Base. Would that be Asian enough?

Another expat money man who thinks he’s better than EFL teachers.
:roflmao:

FYI, Taiwan has the worst English of all the Asian Dragons. Lack of language skills on this island directly impacts science, politics, web commerce, tourism, export… nearly every modern industry. I don’t care how much you think of yourself- if you can’t see the correlation between English skills and the economy of a country, you’re not half as bright as you think you are.

A good EFL teacher can make 2-3 grand a month in a good school. Sometimes for 20 hours class time a week, if you’re lucky. More rewarding then dropping thermite on defenseless Arabs. If you think teaching English is a “low job” and being in Trump or Hilary’s Air Force is an “impressive career”, what does that say about you?

Best of luck in your job search.

P.S.===>

I doubt you’d pass the grammar test for most schools. You don’t capitalize proper nouns, or the first word of sentences. I don’t see you using commas correctly, either.

Try Kojen.

:thumbsup:

One word: NO.

If you are not happy, you will carry your unhapoiness with you. And facing culture clash is the best way to make your unhappiness turn into bottomless depression and agony.

I am sorry to be blunt, but it looks like you are the type of man that would become silly putty in the hands of a Taiwanese woman. And they can be very cruel. Yes, very beutiful/nice/sex is great… and absolutely controlling. If you let her measure you by teh size of your bank account, she will sponge you dry. You will end with the type that will tap dance over your ego and destroy your life. We have seen it time and time again.

There are enough conflicys generated from the crash of two cultures and it is entirely different when you are the foreigner in a strange land with no support. You have no legal stand here. Worse if you do not speak Chinese. You will depend on her for psychologfialk and economic support. You will be her puppet if you let her. As much as you foreigners hate it, I have to say it" you become the woman in the relationship. You will have no voice in the decisoons about youir career or children,as the family decides. Again, it is entirely different being in a relationship in the States than in the actual Taiwan.

Read more about dating in Taiwan. And most importantly, do not frame your ideal partner, or you will transpose that image into a woman that won’t be your partner but your manager. It is OK to have a list of qualities as requirements. But another to make that list a mask that won’t allow you to see the person before you. Do not stereotype all Taiwanese women based on the woman you met, especially abroad.

In general, most women would be distrustful of a foreigner, especially a foreign teacher -they have a reputation as party animals, just flying by backpackers, etc. You will not be taken seriously. They don’t trust is with a cellphone, takes an act of God to get a credit card. Of course, you also have the other side, the women who crave foreigners. That’s when alarms should go off.

In summary: come and visit and get yourself acquainted with the land, but before you do, get yourself in a better place emotionally and psychologically. Plan this as a beach landing into enemy land. You will not be welcomed with pina coladas by the natives. get your gear ready. gather relevant intel. be very wary of local contacts. ask yourself: would I accept this from her if we were abroad? if the answer is no… reevaluate your mission goals.

This said as a friend of way too many friends who had their hearts and lives handed back to them in doggy bags by Taiwanese women who they followed back to the Island… and allowed to tell them their worth.

[quote=“Icon”]
In summary: come and visit and get yourself acquainted with the land, but before you do, get yourself in a better place emotionally and psychologically. Plan this as a beach landing into enemy land. You will not be welcomed with pina coladas by the natives. get your gear ready. gather relevant intel. be very wary of local contacts. ask yourself: would I accept this from her if we were abroad? if the answer is no… reevaluate your mission goals.

This said as a friend of way too many friends who had their hearts and lives handed back to them in doggy bags by Taiwanese women who they followed back to the Island… and allowed to tell them their worth.[/quote]

You make it sound like Taiwanese women are cold, heartless golddiggers who will destroy a guy when opportunity arises.

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“Icon”]

This said as a friend of way too many friends who had their hearts and lives handed back to them in doggy bags by Taiwanese women who they followed back to the Island… and allowed to tell them their worth.[/quote]

You make it sound like Taiwanese women are cold, heartless golddiggers who will destroy a guy when opportunity arises.[/quote]

Not all Taiwanese women, but I know way too many foreign guys who put themselves in a position as a doormat, hence, the stepping on. Cultural expectations here for guys are tough enough, a foreigner already has two strikes in -language and social/cultural/racial status- … add a too naive/kind/dependent heart and anyone too easily become prey of love for the right and wrong reasons. Auntie Peng has seen too much needless pain. :grandpa:

I saw a lot of the opposite in London. Asian/foreign girls screwed around by a European. It’s more the ‘not being on home turf’ factor instead of anything unique to TW. My gf has tried a few routines on me (most of my exes did, such is life), but because of the huge archive of manipulation tactics in Forumosa, I had advanced warning. So I am sincerely grateful to many Forumosans for being so candid about their emotional problems.

Anyway, I wonder if this OP is a troll. There was a subtle troll a while back, who kept socking up and making just-under-the-radar provocative posts.

i think culture difference plays into it too. westerners might be thinking casual and not aware that their gf is thinking about marriage from the get go. and there is also the family factor and family pressure they might not be aware of if they are not familiar with the culture. i’m sure a lot of guys get more than they were bargaining for and i’ve also read about plenty of them on forumosa lol.

How can a women look down you because of being a teacher? Its not a low job at all!!!