šŸŽ¾ Tennis | Tennis In Taipei!

Hey! Iā€™m wondering if there is a tennis club that meets regularly to play tennis, around Taipei. I played all throughout high school and a little bit in college. Iā€™m quite rusty :stuck_out_tongue:
It will be great if I can find a club or just groups of people that comes out to play tennis and just to enjoy some weekend tennis with good friends.
Thanks!

[quote=ā€œs.doro89ā€]Hey! Iā€™m wondering if there is a tennis club that meets regularly to play tennis, around Taipei. I played all throughout high school and a little bit in college. Iā€™m quite rusty :stuck_out_tongue:
It will be great if I can find a club or just groups of people that comes out to play tennis and just to enjoy some weekend tennis with good friends.
Thanks![/quote]

Scroll up and read
or
send me a PM with your LINE ID so I can add you to the LINE group
or
look for Taipei Tennis Meet Up on FB

The choice is yours.

I am looking for someone to play tennis with in the mornings near Taipei 101 Elephant Mountain.

Dear Tennis Fans,
We have started new tennis programs in October opened to players from any level. A new term will start on the 5th of January. Feel free to contact us if you want to join us and need more information, or to suggest us new slots.
Juniors groups (Monday from 5:30 to 6:30pm), Ladies groups (Tuesday-Friday from 11:30 to 1pm), mixed Adults groups (Monday from 7 to 8:30pm) went ahead this term, feel free to inquire by contacting Vincent Oliver hopetennisacademy.com
We hope to see you soon.

Hello, I just recently moved to Taipei (neihu district). I am 26 years old and Iā€™m looking for a hitting partner. I used to play in high shcool, and regularly in college. I havenā€™t played in the last 2 years, so I may be a bit rusty. I can definitely still rally. If anything I would say my level right now is USTA 3.5 . Please PM me if youā€™re interested.

woops repost

I will be in Taipei for about 2 weeks in September.
I play USTA 4.0 in the Northwest division and I hit fairly regularly.
Iā€™d like to know what playing tennis in Taipei is like.
Iā€™ll bring my own racquet and shoes as I do whenever and wherever I travel. :slight_smile:
I donā€™t think Iā€™ll have personal transportation so I hope to play somewhere thatā€™s somewhat convenient by MRT.
BTW, Iā€™ll be living at a friendsā€™ place in Danshui. Does it make sense to rent a moped in Taipei?
I have done my research. Looks like å½©č™¹ę²³ęæ±å…¬åœ’ē¶²ēƒå “, Shuangyuan Riverside Park and the 6 courts at the youth park might work well, no?

A little background about me. I was born in Taipei. Left when I was 15 and have been living in the states for the last 25 years.
Feel free to contact me at mightyatom@gmail.com since I wonā€™t have a phone number till I land in Taipei.

Roy

There are lots of riverside parks along the various rivers, so there is no shortage of places to hit. Also any ā€œpublic schoolā€ that has tennis courts you normally can play at during non-school hours. The key would be finding a place that others can easily get to. Most who donā€™t have a scooter/car will need to play at a place near a MRT. å½©č™¹ę²³ęæ±å…¬åœ’ē¶²ēƒå “ is pretty out of the way unless you live in that area or have a scooter. You can use google maps to see which parks along the river have courts. In the past Iā€™ve used Dajia Riverside park since it is relatively close to an MRT.

With only 2 weeks, I think your main problem will be finding people with a schedule that works with yours to play. Also depending on what time you play the courts can get pretty busy. My suggestion is look back to Ranleeā€™s post on this page and PM him your Line App ID. With that LINE Tennis group you can post times you are available and might get some people that want to hit. I think most are in the 2.5-4.0 range (iā€™ve only hit with 4 different people from the group). Because itā€™s just a group and we are talking about tennis, you may find that you arrange to hit with people 2-3 days in advance and then the day before or the ā€œmorning ofā€ their plans change and will cancel on you. Itā€™s very casual.

Danshui is kinda out of the way, but the MRT is pretty convenient however to get to tennis courts via MRT + walking distance might be 30-60mins each way. Example from Danshui to Dajia Park you are talking about ~40mins MRT ride + 20mins with a fast walk.

Iā€™ve never rented a scooter in Taipei but it certainly would make things more ā€œconvenientā€ /faster if you donā€™t mind the extra cost, traffic, & relative danger. There are lots of U-Bikes all around the city that you can ā€œrentā€ for cheap using the ā€œeasycard / MRT cardā€ but you will have to register the Easycard at a U-bike kiosk using a mobile phone.

Iā€™d love to play with someone 4.0 (iā€™m ~3.5 and looking to get better) but my schedule is very fixed and but weekend mornings I can find some time. Iā€™m not sure when you are coming but if itā€™s early SEP send me a PM and we can see if we can meet in the middle somewhere to play. Mid SEP to beginning of OCT Iā€™ll be in New York.

Good luck!

Thanks for the referral best_intentions. Just a minor correction to your post. å½©č™¹ę²³ęæ±å…¬åœ’ē¶²ēƒå “ aka Rainbow Riverside Courts, is NOT accessible via scooter. Iā€™ve tried, some other people have tried, and itā€™s a lost cause. If you see any scooters parked there, they have made it there ILLEGALLY! The road that connects the ramp into the parking area next to the courts is cars and 250cc+ motorbikes only. There is a foot bridge about 1km south of the courts. You can park your scooter on the other side of the speed way and walk over the bridge and to the courts. However, scooters cannot get into that area of the park.

[quote=ā€œbest_intentionsā€]With only 2 weeks, I think your main problem will be finding people with a schedule that works with yours to play. Also depending on what time you play the courts can get pretty busy. My suggestion is look back to Ranleeā€™s post on this page and PM him your Line App ID. With that LINE Tennis group you can post times you are available and might get some people that want to hit. I think most are in the 2.5-4.0 range (Iā€™ve only hit with 4 different people from the group). Because itā€™s just a group and we are talking about tennis, you may find that you arrange to hit with people 2-3 days in advance and then the day before or the ā€œmorning ofā€ their plans change and will cancel on you. Itā€™s very casual.

Danshui is kinda out of the way, but the MRT is pretty convenient however to get to tennis courts via MRT + walking distance might be 30-60mins each way. Example from Danshui to Dajia Park you are talking about ~40mins MRT ride + 20mins with a fast walk.

Iā€™ve never rented a scooter in Taipei but it certainly would make things more ā€œconvenientā€ /faster if you donā€™t mind the extra cost, traffic, & relative danger. There are lots of U-Bikes all around the city that you can ā€œrentā€ for cheap using the ā€œeasycard / MRT cardā€ but you will have to register the Easycard at a U-bike kiosk using a mobile phone.

Iā€™d love to play with someone 4.0 (Iā€™m ~3.5 and looking to get better) but my schedule is very fixed and but weekend mornings I can find some time. Iā€™m not sure when you are coming but if itā€™s early SEP send me a PM and we can see if we can meet in the middle somewhere to play. Mid SEP to beginning of OCT Iā€™ll be in New York.

Good luck![/quote]

mightyatom, you can look us up on FB, weā€™re under Taipei Tennis Meet Up. I am currently holding weekly meet-ups at the rainbow courts on Tuesdays. It is a very far trek from Danshui, but after some bad experiences at some other courts, we have decided that the rainbow courts is one of the best spots both in quality and tennis etiquette.

Just a reminder to you and whoever youā€™re playing with, not many locals have etiquette here. If they walk on in the middle of a pt in your singles match (at a public court), thatā€™s normal. They expect you to share the court if thereā€™s only two people on it.

When I said rainbow courts is best in etiquette, I do mean it. There were a group of 8 of us that went last week and we asked if there was anyone in line for the court and the locals on the court said that no one is waiting and that they would give us the court once finished with the set. We then successfully held down a court for 2 hours and kept swapping our own people on and off after quick best out of 3 sets. At a lot of other public courts, some people will give you crap for not allowing other people to play and even cut you to grab the court.

Feel free to PM me if you need to get in touch with players or if you want to join us.

Thanks best_intentions, thanks ranlee,

I just sent a request to the group Taipei Tennis Meet Up on FB.
I always try to get a game of tennis wherever I travel to.
Iā€™ve played tennis in Hawaii with a guy from Boston. I posted myself on local craigslist in case anyone else wants to hit. There isnā€™t much to do on Maui after darkā€¦
Iā€™ve played tennis in Toulouse, France with a guy from Florida. I got lucky since they club pro was Americanā€¦
Played in Kaohsiung on borrow racquet and shoes. People were so friendlyā€¦ Almost had a heart attack on the court since it was so hot and humidā€¦
For me, itā€™s just a great way to meet new friends and also I just like to know what itā€™s like to play tennis in different climate.
If any of yā€™all ever visit Seattle I can for sure show you guys around the popular tennis courts and hit a couple of rounds.

Off topic, does anyone know of any reputable moped/sccoter rental shop they would recommend?
Iā€™ve googled and street-viewed different moped shops so I will make inquiries with shop that have ā€œrentalā€ signs out but I just wanted to see if anyone have anything to recommendā€¦
Iā€™m looking to rent a moped and travel to popular destinations M-F during business hours so the traffic is somewhat manageable.
I will have my International driverā€™s license and I plan on doing some short trips by moped since I had some great memories of touring Kaohsiung on a moped when I visited previously.

Thatā€™s some great information about the å½©č™¹ę²³ęæ±å…¬åœ’ē¶²ēƒå “ that of course I wouldnā€™t know about. :slight_smile: Thanks.
So you are talking about the foot bridge by č”Œå–„č·Æ?
Boy, that looks like a long walk. Iā€™d be tired after that walkā€¦ lol.
Looks like maybe Iā€™ll take a taxi there and see if my wife can be convinced to do a little bit of the exploring of the city by herself.
BTW, approx. how much would taxi cost from Danshui? :slight_smile:
Or should I MRT to somewhere near é„’ę²³č”—č§€å…‰å¤œåø‚ and then taxi over?

I totally understand about the tennis etiquette thing and it makes me grin a bit.

Thanks yā€™all. Looking forward to meeting some of you on either the 8th or 15th or both if wife allowsā€¦

Peace!

Roy

[quote=ā€œmightyatomā€]
Thatā€™s some great information about the å½©č™¹ę²³ęæ±å…¬åœ’ē¶²ēƒå “ that of course I wouldnā€™t know about. :slight_smile: Thanks.
So you are talking about the foot bridge by č”Œå–„č·Æ?
Boy, that looks like a long walk. Iā€™d be tired after that walkā€¦ lol.
Looks like maybe Iā€™ll take a taxi there and see if my wife can be convinced to do a little bit of the exploring of the city by herself.
BTW, approx. how much would taxi cost from Danshui? :slight_smile:
Or should I MRT to somewhere near é„’ę²³č”—č§€å…‰å¤œåø‚ and then taxi over?

I totally understand about the tennis etiquette thing and it makes me grin a bit.

Thanks yā€™all. Looking forward to meeting some of you on either the 8th or 15th or both if wife allowsā€¦

Peace!

Roy[/quote]

Yes, the road from č”Œå–„č·Æ Xin Shan Road is the closest place you can park your scooter and walk over. Itā€™s about a 10min walk. However, you have to lug your gear with you, so itā€™s a different story.

I still highly suggest registering for the youbike system if you have a valid Taiwan phone number to register. Youā€™ll spend about 2-3USD for 2.5-3 hours to rent the bike and you get to see the city a little differently.

A taxi would cost you probably around 400-500NT? Youā€™d have to ask around on the forums to get an exact amount. It may be worth it on the way back if youā€™re too tired to walk. Last week a member took a taxi and the driver had no clue where to go, make sure you know where youā€™re going if he gets lost. Not many people are taking taxiā€™s to that location!

I will most likely not be hosting a weekend meet-up! However, youā€™re more than welcome to see if anyone will hit with you on the weekend. I know thereā€™s a few people in the group living in Danshui.

I am visiting taipei for a couple weeks. (land Nov 7). Looking for places & people to play that are near an MRT or Daā€™an area.
or maybe at NTU. (i can probably reserve a court there)

Hi guys,
Iā€™m currently studying in Taipei and will stay here till March. I am looking for partner to play. I would estimate my level as 3-3,5 on the NTRP scale. I live in Daā€™an district. Feel free to answer here or PM me.

I wanna find a tennis partner too! I played in high school for 2 years and played regularly in college, but I havenā€™t had the opportunity to really play since graduation, and itā€™s been 3 years.
For some reason I cannot PM anyone hereā€¦plz contact me via LINE: peepeeshoe, or my email: hamstershen@gmail.com
I live in Taipei along MRT green line.

Hi Guys,

Trying to find a 4 1/2 sized tennis racquet. As it seems stores only stock L2 racquets.
If you have any suggestions would be great, I live in Hsinchu but donā€™t mind driving to
Get the right size.

You might give one of the shops below a call to see if they can order one for you. Both locations is essentially the same owners and both ā€œnormallyā€ has one person there than can speak English pretty well when I go after 6pm.

I ordered a Yonex DR98 from the Ximen place and it arrived in about 3 days + 1 day stringing-- but I use the 1/4 size with some extra tape.

The 2nd option is to get a handle ā€œsleeveā€ put on. They did that 3 yrs ago to my Volkl going from 1/4 (sz 2) to 1/2 (sz 3) and they did a great jobā€” however is obviously affects the weight + balance of the racket, so that is not ideal. (i ended up not liking the feel of the larger handle for serves)

3rd option is ebay. If you buy a used racket you can usually get the shipper to put the value under NT3000 so there is no import tax.

(02) 23711800 (near Ximen MRT)
(02) 23645112 (near Gongguan MRT)

ps-- 4th option is I have an old Babolat Aeropro Drive GT (probably 2010) with 8 1/2 grip that I can sell for NT800-- but Iā€™m in Taipei City ; )

If youā€™re in Facebook, try searching for second hand racket groups. This is the one I use https://www.facebook.com/groups/468527439888685/?ref=browser, you can also search keywords:

äŗŒę‰‹ (second hand)
ē¶²ēƒę‹ (tennis racket)
台北 (Taipei)

or use whatever city youā€™re in. It is Taiwan, so if youā€™re lucky you may find a seller that can speak English, however, most of the ads will be in Chinese. Good luck!

Hi guys,

Just relocated to Taipei. Am keen to find tennis partners.

Staying at Daā€™An district and ok with travelling to play. Thanks!

Hello,

My name is Ben Chen and available for tennis coaching in Taipei. I have over 10 years of coaching experience with all ages and skill levels. I played for the University of Texas from 2009-2013, won 2 ATP singleā€™s points, and have competed with some of the worldā€™s greatest players.

Please message me if you know anyone interested. Thank you very much.

Anyone know of any tennis courts I can reserve. The Taipei tennis center had courts I could rent for 300 ntd an hour - want to see if there are any more. Thanks!