Texas Roadhouse vs Gordon Beirsch

Their facebook from 2016: “We will be announcing on this Facebook page in the near future, please stay tuned!”

Ouch. Doesn’t look good… They seem to have stopped responding in March.

I didn’t realize they were closed. Never managed to get to the Mitsukoshi location. I used to enjoy their corn bread years and years ago but at some point I think they stopped making it. Used to enjoy their larger portions but at some point I feel they got smaller.

That’s the attraction, let people line up and they come, even if it takes staying hungry for over an hour in the cold and rain. Typical Taiwan thing.

Crap, I forgot about that happy horseshit, I stopped going to those places ages ago. That really did used to be a real thing.
We used to go to Tony Roma’s (or Tony Romas’s, as a friend used to call it) many many moons ago, and they had that deal. I can’t believe we would happily just sit by the fucking umbrella stand for like 45 minutes waiting for a table. Bunch of fucking savages.

My coworker told me yesterday about a houguo chain by her house. Any day, it is an hour plus wait. She takes a number, goes home, changes, takes a nap, comes back… and still ther eis waiting. Friggin chain store.

Word is they were eyeing the property where the Hooters Songren currently is, but the landlord burned them on something.

This is Taiwan, places put things on their menu and slowly scrap one by one because the locals don’t get it why it’s on it when they don’t like it.

For a bunch of boiled garbage. :roll:

2 Likes

There are a lot of posts about this issue, it’s a cultural thing or something. Things we think is crap, people here love it and stand in cue for hours to get it

I had lunch at Texas Roadhouse today. I was not impressed.

Ranking as Great, Good, OK, Poor and Lousy

Service = Good.
At the beginning of the meal, the wait staff were good. Friendly attentive wait staff who speak English. Checked on us twice. Made sure our bread basket was always full. Brought a balloon for our kid. A little less attentive near the end of our meal. Didn’t clear away finished plates without having to ask. Had to flag down a waiter for the dessert and bill.

Atmosphere: Good
Standard Texas Roadhouse chain. Not too loud or too quiet. Good western country music, clean and the entire staff do line dancing every few songs.

Food: Ok
Ordered 3 meals:
Meal 1: Steak with a salad, sweet potato and iced tea. ~800NT
Meal 2: Chicken Fried Steak with white gravy, loaded sweet potato, bowl of chili and a coke. ~600NT
Meal 3: Kids meal of fried chicken fingers, cream corn and milk. ~400NT
Dessert: Ordered the brownie with ice cream.

Meal 1 was ok. The steak was cooked well. Salad was a decent size and can’t go wrong with a sweet potato. Steak was a bit small though.

meal 2 was poor. The chicken steak was drowning in gravy and had little flavor. The chili tasted like it was out of a can. The only good thing was the loaded sweet potato piled high with toasted marshmallows.

Meal 3 was OK. The portion was way too much for a toddler. The chicken was a tad bit too peppery for a kid’s pallet.

Dessert: Never came. They forgot to write it down and we didn’t want to wait as the little one was getting fussy.

Extras: The unlimited bread with cinnamon honey butter was divine. Absolute heaven.

Overall impression:
Not worth 1800NT. We didn’t even order any alcohol. Quality of food is about the same as Chili’s. Better than TGI Friday’s. Not as good as Ed’s Diner.

I might go back just for the bread.

1 Like

After skimming through the first part of your post, it sounded like you ordered 3 meals for yourself. :laughing:

I remember having a very similar experience as you at the Xinyi branch. Despite only going for beers and a chicken wings, but we also had to flag people down for refills or to clear our table. I guess they aren’t trained for it?

I had dinner last night with and friend and his two children at the Texas Roadhouse in Taichung. Damn it was really good food and service.

My friend and I both ate the Steak Ribs Combo. We were both surprised how good it was especially the ribs… meat falling off the bone and delicious source.
We both had a beer from the craft menu which went well with the food. Also nice was the car parking plenty of room as my vehicle is near 6m in length.

So maybe things have changed but yeah I would go back there again I thought it was good value for money.

1 Like

Texas Roadhouse Taipei Wednesday night special $500 sirloin steak plate.

Texas RH is one of the only chains that doesnt precook and nuke your food. Everything is cooked to order.

You guys are making this place look attractive. And I don’t even eat steak! :rofl:

Guy

Texas Roadhouse has free soft warm breadsticks maybe unlimited if you keep asking and really nice fluffy butter.

The fish is probably pretty good but you know it is a chain store so

OK now I am convinced you guys are trying to kill me. :rofl:

Guy

not bread sticks
they are dinner rolls

the butter is whipped cinnamon butter

You can also ask for a few to go when leaving…for free

download

1 Like

Maybe I should try Texas Roadhouse again. Going back to the thread title, these days Texas Roadhouse pretty much wins by default, since Gordon Biersch went bankrupt and has been replaced here by a degraded-by-20%-clone called GBA. The beer’s still OK, but the food - previously around 7.5 or maybe 8 out of 10 - is now more like a 6. It used to be the only beef dip I enjoyed in Taiwan, but it’s not good now. (Well, “now” as in a couple of years ago.)

Which, as far as I can tell, leaves me once again without a good option for one of my favorite kinds of lazy afternoons, an unhealthily stodgy lunch followed by lounging at a table and reading for a while with a pint or two.

1 Like

Yup the bread and butter scrumptious

Eds Diner in Neihu
Texas RH
BaBa Kevin’s

Are probably the top 3 picks for western bbq / steaks / etc for up North

I prefer the Texas RH near Xpark in Taoyuan because they have a BR 31 Flavors right next to it. Great for dessert.

And dont forget, Texas RH wait staff dance every half hour.

1 Like