The Best Place in Taiwan to Live (While Studying Mandarin)

First, just let me say that I know this topic has been done to death and I’ve actually read quite a bit of the previous posts about it, but hey, bringing it up fresh again may bring out some new insights. I’ll aso try to be somewhat specific. Oh, and this is my first post! Been lurking around on the boards for about a month, but haven’t said anything myself until now.

I’m planning on moving to Taiwan this fall to study (more) Chinese. I’ve already been accepted to NTNU’s MTC, and so that’s likely where I’ll go, but I’m curious what opinions people have about living and studying somewhere other than Taipei. (specifically Taichung and Kaohsiung) Is anyone of the idea that it’s better living south of the capital?

A bit about me and my situation: I’ve been living in the PRC for more than 4 years (coming for 7) and have been a serious self-studying student of the language the entire time. I love reading/speaking/living it and I’ve been a full-time translator for the past 2 years or so. There are good things about living in China, but I’m ready to move on and completely stoked about coming to Taiwan (never been!). My plan is to study a year at a language center while working part-time and thinking about what direction I want to go with grad school. Taipei is probably where I’ll end up, but there’s certainly the temptation to go somewhere more ‘Taiwanese’ and where the people, from what I hear, are more friendly. I like friendly people. (don’t we all?) So, what’s it like living in Taichung, and Kaohsiung? Are the people actually very different than in Taipei? Has anyone studied in either of the places?

Anyway, any discussion/advice/opinions is appreciated! See you across the strait.

Welcome! The further south (and away from Taipei) you go, the more Taiwanese (and less Mandarin) you’ll hear being spoken on the streets. Locals also speak a lot less English (thus forcing you to use Chinese) in cities outside of Taipei. Rents in Taichung are about 1/3 that of Taipei, if that makes any difference.

I’ve studied in the language centers of three different universities in Taichung, so you’re welcome to ask me more info about any of them.

If you want to study Mandarin, then I’d stay in Taipei. Outside of Taipei a lot of people don’t actually speak Mandarin as a native language, and usually speak Taiwanese. Of course, ordinarily they can speak Mandarin, and will to you, but will have an accent.

Thanks for the advice! On the one hand, I’m not bothered by the language issue. I’m actually a bit curious about 台語. Also, I’ve been in Shanghai for years, where like Taiwan, the locals first language and language at home, isn’t Mandarin. So, it wouldn’t be a huge change. On the other hand, there may be even more Mandarin on the streets of Taipei than Shanghai, and that would be a refreshing change. (akin to whenever I travel up north. ‘wait…I can understand everything around me!’)
What’s appealing to me about these other cities is that I keep hearing the people are much friendlier. I understand that could be somewhat of an overstatement though. Also, those cheap rent prices are a major plus. Being a broke student is less fun in an expensive city.
Anyway, thanks again and I’ll keep looking into my options.

I would choose Taichung or Kaohsiung over Taipei. And Kaohsiung over Taichung. Both cities are cheaper and have far better weather. Kaohsiung puts you in striking distance of Kenting and the traffic is better the Taichung. Both cities will be a great change from Shanghai for you. I’d choose Kaohsiung of the cities you mention.

I would choose Hualien though over any of them. Tzu Chi University has a program.

You will hear plenty of Taiwanese down south but everyone under 50 is a fluent native speaker of Mandarin and most educated people under 40 will prefer Mandarin as their language of choice (unfortunately). The accent doesn’t matter, and if you are studying in a course, you probably will only have a hint of one anyway.

Taipei’s a great place to study too, but it is far more expensive, the weather is terrible, and the people, while not unfriendly, don’t really have the time or inclination to be friends with yet another foreigner,

SunYatSen Univ right on the beach in Kaohsiung has good reviews. Theres even a new subway from there to the center of town. And Kaohsiung is very livable. MUch nicer weather then North Taiwan.

Thanks again. This is exactly the positives aspects of places other than Taipei that I wanted to confirm. Still, it’s a hard (yet admittedly enjoyable) decision! Fortunately though, I do feel as though no matter where I’ll end up, it’ll be a refreshing change from Shanghai. :slight_smile: Bad weather, terrible traffic, abrasive personalities, pollution? We got it all…in spades.
The uni in Kaohsiung looks great… I think Kaohsiung appeals to me because it’s still somewhat large and given that I’ve never lived in Taiwan before a bigger city might be better suited to me. I hadn’t even considered Hualien, but that a quick google search has left me thinking twice.
I’m still budgeting whether or not I can/should take a trip around island before I move there, but I may just end up taking the plunge. (I enjoy taking plunges…wait, that sounded weird)

I most certainly do advocate taking at least a week and travelling around Taiwan and seeing for yourself which city may be more appealing to you.

[quote=“Feiren”]You will hear plenty of Taiwanese down south but everyone under 50 is a fluent native speaker of Mandarin and most educated people under 40 will prefer Mandarin as their language of choice (unfortunately). The accent doesn’t matter, and if you are studying in a course, you probably will only have a hint of one anyway.
[/quote]

For some reason people continue to perpetuate the Taiwanese is the native language (edit - that should be commonly used language) myth down south. that might be true in some families but almost the entire school curriculum is in Mandarin (and has been for generations) except for a symbolic save the Taiwanese language couple of hours each week. If you live in Kaohsiung you will certainly have every opportunity to practice your Mandarin.

Some other issues to consider:

Transportation:
Taipei: Best public transport of any city in Taiwan. MRT / subway takes you pretty much anywhere. High speed train station is right in the city center. Close to Taiwan’s main international airport (a direct MRT to the airport is being built which will make it even more convenient to get in and out of the airport).
Taichung: No MRT yet (it’s being constructed, but is still a few years away). Very convenient if you have a scooter, since you can get to most parts of town within 15-20 mins. Traffic / parking is only an issue if you drive a car. High speed station is in a suburb, accessible by free buses.
Kaohsiung has a recently open MRT / subway system that takes you to the major spots. Streets tend to be wider if you’re driving. Good bicycle lanes if you’re into that. High speed station is in a suburb, but accessible by MRT.

Weather:
Taipei: Cloudy and rainy
Taichung: Generally known to have the best weather in Taiwan, being sunny and moderate most days. It is rarely affected by typhoons due to its location and proximity to the mountains.
Kaoshiung: tends to be hotter and muggier in summer.

Food: If western food is your thing though, you can’t beat Taipei’s choice of international restaurants in Taiwan.

I’d believe that. It sounds similar to the situation with Shanghainese in Shanghai. It has a reputation as being a bad place to study Mandarin, but that’s not actually the case. The majority of language spoken is certainly Mandarin. That doesn’t mean there’s not a lot of Shanghainese being spoken, but it’s being spoken almost exclusively among people who know each other as Shanghainese speakers. (i.e. no one is expected to speak it) I have a feeling living in Kaohsiung as a Mandarin speaker would be quite similar, and I’m already quite used to it. I actually kind of like it sometimes. a) you’re exposed to another language, which is interesting. b) sometimes I don’t mind having an excuse to be ‘left out’ of a conversation. :slight_smile:

Very helpful, Adam. Thanks.
From the looks of it, as far as convenience and big city-ness goes, Taipei takes the cake. For that reason, it’s pretty tempting to me. I spent a few years living in Nanjing, which although does have a metro and a sizable foreigner population, after close to 2 years, I felt ready to get out of the bubble. I think given that Taiwan is quite different from China, I’m not sure I’d feel the same way about a similar sized city in Taiwan, but with Taipei, I don’t think I’m even that risk - which is what’s tempting.
Kaohsiung is a still a close second though. Friendliness and sunshine? Yes please.

Taipei is to Taiwan as NYC is to the rest of the US. There’s no question that it is the center of almost everything in Taiwan. And, unlike a true megacity like Shanghai or BKK, Taipei is quite livable with easy access to nature around the city, an active nightlife, tons of cafes etc. It’s also a fine place to study Mandarin.

But if I were coming to study Mandarin, I would go to Hualien, Tainan, or Kaohsiung. K-town is enough of a city to have a good time and has a very different feel to it than Taipei–spacious, southern, and friendly.

I agree. I grew up in Taipei, but Id like to live in Ktown if and when.

Another common myth about Kaohsiung. It’s just as hot in Taipei during the summer. The only difference is that the Kaohsiung summer lasts longer although Taipei usually isn’t more than 2C behind Kaohsiung.

Taipei
wunderground.com/NORMS/Displ … normals=on

Kaohsiung
wunderground.com/NORMS/Displ … normals=on

I completely agree. One of the best aspects of living in a foreign language environment is that you have a great excuse to be selectively deaf. The peace that comes from perceived misunderstanding!

By the way, I recommend Taichung. sunny weather. proximity to the central mountains. friendly people. It’s a good life. And for studying Chinese, I recommend Tunghai University. Check out the pics of campus!
http://www.thu.edu.tw

Welcome to Taiwan!

Again, thanks everyone. I was buys and away from the site, but the insight is very much appreciated! My plans are starting to get a bit more solidified, but I’m always open to changing it up. For a while, I was almost set on going to Taipei and as great of a city as it seems, I’m now really leaning towards either Taichung or Tainan. Given that I’ll be studying, the size and affordability are more appealing to me. Now the question is…Taichung or Tainan? :ponder: :slight_smile:

Study Chinese at the National Sun Yat Sen Univ , right on the beach in Kaohsiung.
oia.nsysu.edu.tw/english/

Tainan is way too small. You will catch yourself taking the hour long bus trip from there to Kaohsiung regularly.

The SYS Univ also has a subway stop Im told. From there to downtown Ktown is just a short ride.

Taichung is much larger then Tainan. Tainan is really a sleepy backwater.
Avoid.

That said everything is probably a lot more personal in TAinan. Those people are so friendly they are practically inbred with you :slight_smile:

[quote=“tommy525”]Tainan is really a sleepy backwater.
Avoid.[/quote]
Yeah, and we point and stare at foreigners.

No we’re not. See above. :raspberry:

Edit: On a serious not, though. Although Tainan can be a nice place to study Chinese, many, if not most people here speak Taiwanese. The younger “educated” crowd speaks Mandarin, but the more “Taike” crowd loves the old Taigi. Some of the older folks don’t speak Mandarin at all, and if they do speak with a heavy Taiwanese accent. Something to think about at any rate.

Super useful, thanks. In retrospect, I guess the quaintness of a small city like Tainan is appealing, but it may be better suited for a shorter stay. Still on my radar though. I’d imagine I’ll end up in either Taichung or Kaohsiung now. SYSU just looks to such a great place to live/study. But then again, the weather, vibe and size of Taichung look pretty right on as well. Decisions, decisions! What’s funny about this move is that I don’t think I’m even going to have the time to come visit Taiwan before I move there. Talk about throwing yourself in right in. At least I can already speak Mandarin. ha!