The Best Place in Taiwan to Live (While Studying Mandarin)

I was weighing up the same choices many years ago and opted for Taichung unseen. Tung Hai University has, or at least had, one of the best Mandarin schools in the country.

I arrived three years into Chinese study from an Australian university, so entered an advanced language class, so was somewhat literate, and fluent, albeit with a horrid Beijing accent. I look back very fondly on my first year in Taiwan in Taichung, and especially Tung Hai, For me, that was where all the threads of my Chinese study came together.

The drawback of Taichung is that it’s a very spread out town, and to really enjoy it, you really need to have a scooter, or a car, if you can. Unfortunately I know of way too many people killed on Taichung’s roads, especially while on scooters. I would suggest anyone that didn’t have experience on a motorcycle not to start riding in Taiwan.

HG

I second what HG said, bout TAichung and the need for personal transport and the danger of the two wheeler.

Glad to hear good things about Tung Hai. I’ve been considering either Tung Hai or Feng Chia in Taichung. Everything thing about Tung Hai seems great, although I have to admit, the Christian aspect worries me a little. I don’t think it would affect the education in any negative way, but as I’m going in with virtually no friends, I’d be a little worried that making friends on campus would always begin with a conversation about the future of my soul. (had enough of that growing up) Maybe that’s not the case though?
As for the driving, that’s also good to know. I wonder what it’s like compared to Nanjing and Shanghai? It’s pretty nuts over here. In Nanjing I rode daily until I almost got creamed by a bus. In Shanghai, I have a 110cc motorbike that I only ride on side streets to meet up with friends, grocery shop, etc. Anyway, I’m certainly used to getting around on two wheels and a motor, but I’m also aware of the risk, which isn’t always worth it.
No need for wheels in Gaoxiong?

Don’t worry about the Christian background. This is Taiwan. It will be very low key. I bet you won’t notice it at all and very few of your fellow students will be Christian.

I’ve been to Nanjing and Shanghai a few times. I don’t think you’ll have any problem at all. :laughing:

The added benefit of Taichung and Tung Hai is that it’s out of Taichung and backs onto a lovely area of hills. There’s the main off campus student area of Bieshu, and very nearby the arty streets of Lixianguo.

And as Feiren says, don’t even consider for a moment the Christian thing, you won’t notice it, other than the famously architected church.

I actually haven’t spent much time in Kaohsiung, in fact, almost certainly spent more time in Shanghai and Nanjing, but I think the scooter commuting is also pretty much the norm there too.

I studied at Feng Chia when I first arrived. It’s cheaper than Tung Hai, but it had huge class sizes of mostly Indonesian overseas Chinese students. It was difficult to get any personalised help and cheating in exams was open and rampant. Something you may want to consider if you’re after a scholarship from the Taiwan government.

Although it may not concern you, and this wasn’t necessarily a reflection on the language programme, it is known in Taiwan, or at least was, as “Taiwan’s kindergarten,” as it was the easiest university to gain entrance to. Not that I’m a snob, but I did at least have the pleasure of rebutting Taiwanese who mentioned this when I said I’d studied at Feng Chia that I left there to go to Tung Hai on an Australian government scholarship.

By contrast, at least back then, Tung Hai had vastly less students per class, and the teachers were very focused and good. They drove you hard, but it paid off.

HG

Taipei has the most developed MRT (subway) system. Kaohsiung has an MRT that opened up in the last couple of years, so most of the main stops are covered. Taichung is building one now, but it’ll be a few years before it’s open, I’d think.

I’ve been using a scooter to get around Taichung for the past 7 years without much trouble, so if you have experience in Shanghai, I don’t think Taichung will be any worse. One nice thing is that most places in the city don’t take more than 20 minutes to reach. Traffic is not an issue since you can weave your way to the front, and parking isn’t an issue since you can just squeeze it wherever you find place. Driving a car would be a different story though.

From the way it looks (if I do decide on Taichung) Tung Hai is the way to go. Nice campus, smaller classes, etc. I’ve been looking up some pictures of the campus - it does look really beautiful. That will be such a welcomed contrast from living in the mainland.
As for the scooter thing, I’m very much OK with it. If it were worse than the mainland, I would probably reconsider, but otherwise, I’ve gotten pretty used to being mindful. I’ll probably a small motorcycle actually. 20 minutes to anywhere? From the looks of it, the geographic size of the city seems to be pretty similar to Nanjing.
Also, what would you guys say the going rate for a decent apartment (not huge, but not tiny either) in Taichung is? Scooters?
This forum is proving to be immensely helpful. Thanks again.

you’ll probably want a scooter/motorcycle in Kaohsiung also. The MRT system is nice but just like any MRT system most of the places you want to go will be 10-20 minutes away from an MRT stop. For example the MRT stop for NSYS uni is probably a 20 min walk from campus. And I have the same problem at my house in Kaohsiung. It’s about 15 min to the MRT station but with my motorcycle I can be halfway across town (at least anywhere important) in 15 mins.

Do you have to commit to a uni before coming to Taiwan? Why not visit Kaohsiung/taichung/tainan/Taitung?/Haulien? with all your stuff stored at a Taipei hostel and pick the place that you like the best. That’s what I did when I moved here and after visiting Kaohsiung I made my decision. There are benefits/drawbacks to each and you might need to visit to really make a decision. Or you might be happy with any choice and can pick online.

Gotcha. No matter where I end up, I’ll most likely have a motorcycle either way.
I may end up having to commit due to scholarship stuff, which I’ll know in June, but if not then I’ll be free to spend some time traveling before I decide. In the end though, I’m pretty stoked to end up anywhere in Taiwan. Looking forward to the next step in my adventure in the Chinese-speaking world.

I second the get-a-scooter-for-Kaohsiung idea. I spent a month there with no transport last year and I found it frustrating to get many places. I had nothing in particular to do so waiting 30 minutes for a bus was okay, I suppose, but I was always comparing the Kaohsiung situation to the ease of transport in Taipei (without a scooter) or the convenience of having a scooter.

I’ve only lived in Tainan and Kaohsiung. I would say either is great, Tainan has a smaller feel (because it’s smaller).

I had a scooter when I was in Kaohsiung, it was so much fun. That is one of the sole things in life I can say I truly miss, just scootering around. You can find a brickton of weird places in Kaohsiung, since it has a more ‘less-developed’ feel than taipei does.

Also, a lot of friendly Taiwanese in the south that have a lot of free time. I can’t say anything about Taipei, because I’ve never lived there. But I remember whenever I visited Taipei everyone seemed busier and they dressed far too well. I actually felt pretty crappy just walking around with a crappy t-shirt in Taipei, something you can feel better about in Kaohsiung (because everyone has pretty low-key clothes). Not that it’s a big deal, but it’s an observation.

Also, I hardly ever heard Taiwanese down south… only from the old people and kids who wanted to act Taiwanese. My friends all spoke Mandarin, and I always heard other kids speaking 90% Mandarin to each other, so they were not just speaking Mandarin because I was in the conversation.

But yes, getting around sucks if you don’t have a scooter, especially when it’s muggy out (sweeeeatttyyy armmmpiittss). Also there’s a lot of fake/cheap stuff in Kaohsiung and Tainan. (video games, used book/comics. I don’t know if you’re into that, but I am.)

Sounds like just what I’m looking for. :slight_smile:

So, a bit of an update as far as my personal situation goes:
I’ve applied to and been accepted at NTNU’s MTC, Tunghai in Taichung, and I just applied to NCKU in Tainan. I was going to throw NSYSU in Kaohsiung in there too, but it’s too late to apply from abroad. Theoretically I could arrive in Taiwan in August and apply from Taiwan, but for the time being, I’m focusing on those 3.
My plan is too ago to Taiwan, then travel around to each of them and decide from there. I’m still pretty split! All 3 cities/unis seem great in their own ways. It’s fun being indecisive though, and having options is, after all, a good thing. :slight_smile:

sinktheboats: where did you end up?

I’m currently studying in Taipei (NTU) but don’t like it very much up here and thus am considering moving further South (Taichung or Tainan). One of the places I’m considering is Donghai but I’m concerned about the Christian thing too. Some poster wrote that this is something one doesn’t need to worry about. But I’d be happier if somebody who is currently studying mandarin there or has very recently studied there could confirm that. My worry isn’t so much that the school itself is too Christian but that there might be a busload of young missionary kids at the school spending their days preaching their Jesus-loves-you dang. :fume:

What I don’t like about Taipei: too big, too densely crowded, too expensive, too f"ç%" rainy. I was aware of all those things before coming here but didn’t expect myself to cope so badly…

[quote=“ronin”]sinktheboats: where did you end up?

I’m currently studying in Taipei (NTU) but don’t like it very much up here and thus am considering moving further South (Taichung or Tainan). One of the places I’m considering is Donghai but I’m concerned about the Christian thing too. Some poster wrote that this is something one doesn’t need to worry about. But I’d be happier if somebody who is currently studying Mandarin there or has very recently studied there could confirm that. My worry isn’t so much that the school itself is too Christian but that there might be a busload of young missionary kids at the school spending their days preaching their Jesus-loves-you dang. :fume:

What I don’t like about Taipei: too big, too densely crowded, too expensive, too f"ç%" rainy. I was aware of all those things before coming here but didn’t expect myself to cope so badly…[/quote]

Taipei gets better the more you wander the alleys. It also gets better the more you are away from it XD Going to Taipei after living in Tainan gives you this distinct ‘Oh yeah, this is what cities were’ feeling, that’s not entirely unwelcome.

Why don’t you take a few weekends to travel the island and check out the different cities? Getting away might be what you need, too. Pick a few cities and spend a weekend in each - one in Tainan, one in Taichung, one in Ilan? Kaohsiung? That way you can both have a look at the university (maybe come down on Friday or Sunday and go back Saturday/Monday) and check out the sights around town - have a mini-holiday!

[quote=“ronin”]
What I don’t like about Taipei: too big, too densely crowded, too expensive, too f"ç%" rainy. I was aware of all those things before coming here but didn’t expect myself to cope so badly…[/quote]

You’re describing every major city in Taiwan. Yes, Kaohsiung, Taichung and Tainan are less dense but it’s the same terrible architecture and it’s still really crowded. I live in Kaohsiung (perfect winters) but what I really like about Taipei now that I’ve visited it several times is that it is really easy to get out of the city using mass transit. In Kaohsiung it takes close to an hour to get out of the city on motorcycle and all of the crappy little cities. And there is very little mass transit to the places I want to go. I also love the bike paths. If it wasn’t for the cold, dreary winters I would probably live in the Taipei area.

@Tsukinodeynatsu: that’s exactly my plan. Looking forward to some travelling around the island. it’s gonna be great to get out of Taipei for a bit. Thanks for the encouragement.

@Abacus: I take your response as referring to the “too big” and “too densely crowded” aspects. You’re probably right to some extent. Although I doubt that any city here is nearly as densely populated nor as big in terms of population size as Taipei. But compared to Western cities, you’re sooo right. And the architecture… oh my…
Weather and cost of living are definitely much better down South.

My complaining doesn’t mean that I don’t see the many advantages of living in Taipei, most important of which are great public transport and easy access to outdoor activities (as Abacus had mentioned). So it’s not an easy decision. … well, actually the decision only gets difficult on those rare days when you can see the sun and the blue sky over Taipei. :pray:

[quote=“ronin”]
My complaining doesn’t mean that I don’t see the many advantages of living in Taipei, most important of which are great public transport and easy access to outdoor activities (as Abacus had mentioned). So it’s not an easy decision. … well, actually the decision only gets difficult on those rare days when you can see the sun and the blue sky over Taipei. :pray:[/quote]

That’s the only thing I dislike about Tainan. There’s not much to do in the way of activities nearby, unless you have a car it’s pretty inconvenient.

the question is though, what is it worth to have easy access to outdoor activities when it rains for months in a row. I’m the sort of person who gets rather depressed by rain and what I dislike even more than the rain itself is being outdoors when it rains.

Well, anyways, today is a beautiful day in Taipei and I’m on my way out into the greens. Who knows how long it’s gonna last…

Well, it hardly ever rains in Tainan.

You can get a train (or scooter) down to Kaohsiung for a lot of green stuff to do; otherwise there’s a thread in the travel section titled ‘WAlking in Southern Taiwan’ (I think) that’s about the greenery around Tainan. There’s lots of fields, just not much to do in them!

Most of Tainan’s activity places area bout an hour out of the city by scooter. Some must be about half an hour or so because they’re on the way to Kaohsiung, and kaohsiung’s an hour scooter ride. There are lots of little undeveloped pockets hidden away in the city, though.