The Good Advice Thread

good enough is not good enough

Pay attention.

No, you don’t know it all.

Be nice to everyone.

Say something nice to someone everyday.

Look people in the eye when you shake their hand.

At the very least act as if you’re interested.

If you are hired to do a job do it. Then bitch about it.

Karma is.

Be polite.

Always know where the exits are.

Tip the bartender when you get your 1st drink.

Polish your shoes.

Know how to iron your clothes.

Teach a child how to tie a tie.

Always make time to hear what a child has to say.

You don’t have to eat everything on your plate, but at least taste it, look at the cook and smile.

Take care of your teeth.

Love somebody more than you love yourself.

Have standards, just make sure you understand they are your standards and not everybody elses.

Say “Thank You.”

Smile and make somebody else smile.

Accept the fact that No, you probably cannot change the world. But you might be able to make your own world just a little bit better.

2 ears, 1 mouth…maybe the factory has a reason to make 'em this way.

My Grandfather’s advice to married people:
When you’re wrong, admit it. When you’re right, shut up.

The journey for perfection has no final destination.

Always, always tie your shoes.

Look where you step, especially in Taiwan.

Don’t forget the sunscreen (trust me on this one)

Maybe applicable to people in general, other than trombonists:

Listen to each other. Follow the lead of the first chair. Play as a section.

Breathe from the diaphragm (i.e. the gut).

Sing through the horn. (No, not that way you idiot! I meant figuratively!)

As a parent, it’s not enough to remember what is was like to be a kid; you have to remember you’re now the grown-up.

Advice from the Boss.

1. The boss is always right.
  2. If the boss does not appear to be right, see above.

True. I’m constantly amazed by how little I know. But sadly, most people seem to know less then I do.

Do it or quit. Don’t bitch.

No it isn’t. Effects have causes, things happen because we make them happen through
demonstrable chains of cause and effect. Karma doesn’t come into it. There’s no fate, destiny, cosmic harmony, underlying rule of fairness, power or entity rewarding good actions and punishing bad actions. These are myths people subscribe to so that they don’t have to accept the realities of an uncaring and amoral world. Being ‘good’ is a personal choice that doesn’t necessarily result in any benefit, which makes it all the more admirable than blind faith in some greater power making rules for us.

Never tip. The bastard gets paid to do his job, as I get paid to do mine. If he wants more money he should take it up with his boss instead of the customer. As the customer I enter into a bargain with the establishment to buy a product at a published price, which is far higher than it would be if I wasn’t paying for the service. Adding more to the price is asking me to pay again for the service I’ve already paid for, and giving lousy service if I don’t comply is blackmail.

Or buy sandals.

Teach a child that a tie is a pointless item of clothing, which some people mistakenly believe indicates something about the wearer other than their willingness to conform to the idiotic beliefs of their boss. Then teach them to tie a tie anyway, because every skill may come in useful some day and it boosts children’s confidence to master small things like this. Teach them to tie their own shoelaces to, even if you buy them sandals.

[quote]Be nice to everyone.

Be polite.[/quote]
Good advice. Sorry if I was rude above. You’re looking great today.

Abso-bloody-lutely! Never have to rely on anyone.

As my old dad, Dog rest his soul, said; ‘Watch those parking meters, kid.’

Never let your fish read Sartre lest he be labeled a pseud by a philistine.

Don’t you oppress my people! (Philis is a proud nation of popcorn exporters with profound cultural and social traditions, mostly based around the fine art of maypole dancing and non-standard origami based religious practices.)

Thought I posted this somewhere else, maybe I dreamed it.
As my Grandad used to say, “If we all liked the same things, why, everybody’d be after your Grandma!”

Hey chief, that’s some good advice there from your grandpa, but what are you doing in my thread? Why don’t you go start your own “Bad Advice” thread for you and all your badass friends? Are you getting soft on us?

Erhu, here’s one for you.

When the smith gets wildly excited, 'tis best to agree with him.

True. I’m constantly amazed by how little I know. But sadly, most people seem to know less then I do.

Do it or quit. Don’t bitch.

No it isn’t. Effects have causes, things happen because we make them happen through
demonstrable chains of cause and effect. Karma doesn’t come into it. There’s no fate, destiny, cosmic harmony, underlying rule of fairness, power or entity rewarding good actions and punishing bad actions. These are myths people subscribe to so that they don’t have to accept the realities of an uncaring and amoral world. Being ‘good’ is a personal choice that doesn’t necessarily result in any benefit, which makes it all the more admirable than blind faith in some greater power making rules for us.

Never tip. The bastard gets paid to do his job, as I get paid to do mine. If he wants more money he should take it up with his boss instead of the customer. As the customer I enter into a bargain with the establishment to buy a product at a published price, which is far higher than it would be if I wasn’t paying for the service. Adding more to the price is asking me to pay again for the service I’ve already paid for, and giving lousy service if I don’t comply is blackmail.

Or buy sandals.

Teach a child that a tie is a pointless item of clothing, which some people mistakenly believe indicates something about the wearer other than their willingness to conform to the idiotic beliefs of their boss. Then teach them to tie a tie anyway, because every skill may come in useful some day and it boosts children’s confidence to master small things like this. Teach them to tie their own shoelaces to, even if you buy them sandals.

[quote]Be nice to everyone.
Be polite.[/quote]
Good advice. Sorry if I was rude above. You’re looking great today.

Abso-bloody-lutely! Never have to rely on anyone.[/quote] tmwc-
Have standards, just make sure you understand they are your standards and not everybody elses.

And trust me…Karma indeed is Bubba. Ain’t no gettin’ around it.

[quote] tmwc-
"Have standards, just make sure you understand they are your standards and not everybody elses.[/quote]

Good, so you know mine and I know yours. Thank you. :slight_smile: (Be polite.)

Please don’t call me Bubba. I’m far more attractive than he is.

it’s not what you earn it’s what you keep, but you can’t take any of it with you.

Pillage before burn.

Discarded pizza boxes are an excellent source of cheese.

Bunny rabbits have sharp teeth and claws.

That depends on local labor law, which in America is often arranged so that the customer, not the owner, pays most of the service fee.

American federal minimum wage = $5.15 / hour.

Waitstaff typically earn around 2 dollars / hour as a regular wage. Good deal for the owner right?

This is legal only because customers (you) are expected to make up the difference.

If a waiter’s total per-hour take < $5.15 the restaurant owner is expected to make up the difference. This is the only time he pays his waitstaff a full wage.

Because most customers are not chintzy petty bastards this rarely happens.

And because customers typically pay most of the cost of service, if you don’t tip at all in this situation you are free-riding on the nice people who do.

On second thought, screw the stuck up bitches.

Spam (former dish pig)

[quote=“tmwc”][quote] tmwc-
"Have standards, just make sure you understand they are your standards and not everybody elses.[/quote]

Good, so you know mine and I know yours. Thank you. :slight_smile: (Be polite.)

Please don’t call me Bubba. I’m far more attractive than he is.[/quote]

But do you belong to THE GUN CLUB? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: