The Harvey Weinstein Scandal

One of the best Onion headlines of all time.

3 Likes

Haven’t heard much about Weinstein. I guess his scandals have been trumped by Trump’s.

What’s the legal situation with this? I assume it’s libel if he is able to identify who anonymously called him a rapist, as there is clearly malicious intent. I’m not sure how he can sue Moira Donegan, though, if she only created the opportunity for him to be libeled.

Obviously, this is assuming that he didn’t commit rape. He would be taking a bit of a risk if he were guilty and trying to identify his victim.

It appears that his accusers have bravely allowed him to buy his way out.

Well, he still faces criminal charges. This only resolves various lawsuits, it seems

2 Likes

Good point.

While women should never be forced to do things they do not want to do, she said, she thinks they also must bear responsibility for their decisions.
“You can’t just have it both ways and say, ‘I should be able to do whatever I want without consequences. I should put myself in any situation I want and play victim,’” Ms. Rotunno said. “Having voluntary sex with someone even if it is a begrudging act is not a crime after the fact.”

1 Like

I think the main issue is the power difference in the situation.

But I’m certain some women did gladly take this way to move up and many more who would be happy to do so. I guess if we are to really believe in my body my choice, you can’t find much issues with someone choosing this.

I don’t see Jennifer Lawrence complaining. From nobody to highest paid actress over night.

1 Like

The issue I took with #MeToo movement is not that exposed the Hollyweird game but rather it didn’t change anything. And plenty of women industry supported this behavior and there probably are quiet a few who are just as dirty.

And you’re right to see it about power, which is abused by women and men.

1 Like

By what standard?

There’s a line in Lost Horizon, when the visitors notice that the most recent newspapers are 20 years old, something like nothing that happens today could not be predicted 20 years ago, and nothing that happens today will be truly understood until 20 years from now.

I read that 3x. Huh?

I don’t think it’s relevant that some (many?) actresses had sex with Weinstein in order to further their careers. Hollywood’s always been like that. Actors also have to endure the pink casting couch if they want to get on. The issue is actresses who were sexually assaulted or raped.

Of course, what Rotunno is going to do is cast doubt on the allegations of rape and sexual assault by pointing out all the actresses who willingly had sex with him in order to get roles. It’s going to be a messy trial, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some big name stars get called in to testify.

Hollywood’s a cesspool and attracts the sort of people who enjoy such a place.

2 Likes

Actually it seems like her defense is two adult consenting to sex , even if the consent is coerced, it’s still sex and she’s still responsible for her behavior. Buyer’s remorse doesn’t apply here.

1 Like

While philosophers and neurologists debate whether free will exists, lawyers argue fruitlessly over what constitutes free choice.

People do what they do. The reasons why are always a bit unclear. Everyone wants freedom, but no one wants to take responsibility.

I was reading an interesting theory that argued that every decision we make is a spur of the moment one. We then justify the reasoning behind that decision after the event. It kind of makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. I’ll see if I can hunt it down.

1 Like

Many have made that observation.

It’s self-evidently true in at least some circumstances. By which I mean it’s easy to spot in others.

Yea…um…the reason we have laws is to correct that lack of responsibility on some folks part.

Humans are predictably irrational.

Makes people sound more animalistic than we are.