The Hiking Thread 2009

Great! It will be our first hiking event in 2009. :slight_smile:

And I think I overestimated how much time it would cost us to complete the hike. It’s 12K, probably would cost us 4-6 hours. So let us meet at MRT Jiantan station at 8:00 and take Bus 15 to get to Chingtiangang (擎天崗). It would cost us 1 hour to get to Chingtiangang, 2-3 hours to get to Fengquizui (風櫃嘴), 30 minutes to have our lunch break, and 2-3 hours to get back to Chingtaingang. Then, we can take same bus back to MRT Jiantan station.

Addtional Information:

Introduction of tourst spots in Yangmingshan Naitonal Park in English
http://www.ymsnp.gov.tw/html/eng/04tourist/tou_a01_list.asp

The bus route of But 15
捷運劍潭站 → 陽明戲院 → 士林分局 → 捷運士林站 → 福林國小 → 士林官邸 → 泰北中學 → 岩山里 → 岩山里一 → 芝蘭新村 → 華興中學 → 嶺頭 → 拔仔埔 → 永嶺 → 永福 → 陽明教養院 → 福音 → 陽明山國小 → 明德新村 → 白雲山莊 → 新安 → 下竹林 → 台北市格致中學 → 山仔后派出所 → 山仔后 → 淨水廠 → 陽明山泉 → 菁山一 → 菁山二 → 菁山三 → 土地公廟 → 菁山小鎮 → 松園站 → 冷水坑遊客服務站 → 擎天崗

The departure time of Bus 15 during weekends假日班距 05:40、06:20、06:50、07:20、08:00、08:30、09:00、09:30、10:00、10:30、11:00、11:30、12:00、12:30、13:10、14:00、14:30、15:00、15:30、16:00、17:30、(1930)、(2050)、(2230)

p.s. The bus would be pretty crowded during weekeds.

Hi! Could anyone recommend a hiking tour operator in Northern Taiwan for me please? I’m considering doing a 3-4 day hike after CNY. Thanks!

Hi Kate, it’s me, Patty. I’m thinking to join this hike tomorrow. How many people are going so far? My car can take four people. I think we can save time on taking a bus if I drive. Looking forward to seeing you again.

See you tomorrow: me + 1

Patty, It’s great to hear from you. I think we have had four participants so far. It will be nice if you can take us to the parking lot near the trailhead. It will save a lot of time. (And I think only cars with four people are allowed to take 仰德大道 during holidays.)

If you can join in us, then we can meet at 泰北中學 near 雙溪公園 at 9 a.m. where has some space to park cars temporarily.

Looking forward to learning your decision and to seeing you tomorrow.

Hi teggs,

I don’t know much about hiking tour operators in northern Taiwan, let along operators providing tour for foreigners. I think maybe MM or Chris know some of them. But I know a website has a lot of hiking activity annoucements in Chinese.

You can check http://www.keepon.com.tw/Activity.asp and I hope it helps.

kate.lin
Chris
Kitty
ka-ge
ne-ko

That’s 5

My dear hiking partners, after a phone call to Patty, our rendezvous place tomorrow is changed to 西歐加油站 at 9 a.m. It’s a gas station with a green board at the intersaction of Zhongshan North Road (中山北路) and Zhongzhen Road (中正路), a 3-minute walk away from MRT Shilin station. Patty will pick up us there (Thanks to Patty, we can save a lot of time). See you guys tomorrow!

I really need to come, but am feeling a bit of trepidation regarding footwear. Bit of swelling on the back of a heel that has had me in Crocs since I came down from the mountains (I am so wanting to go back again!). This’ll be my first time in real shoes since Monday afternoon… I am testing out my Salomon low cut hikers now. Should be ok, I think.
Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

Teggs - what dates are you considering? Chinese New Year is Jan 26 and work for many starts Feb 2. I am considering a hike in that time period.
Do you have much experience hiking? Camping is an option, but hiking groups often stay in hostels/cabins as well. How are you set up for gear?
As well, barking-deer.com might be doing something during that period. Great outfit for guiding. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

We are back! Er…not exactly.

Chris and others went to Shilin night market and probably haven’t got home yet.

Kage is probably home but walking her cute 小不點 and 仙草. And I got my lab for some work and I am still working on my project. (Er…not exactly again, I am posting on Forumosa.com)

Anyway, these are some pictures I took during our hike today. One problem hikers often have when it comes to hiking in Yangmingshan during winter is mist and rain.

Those pictures aren not clear because of the mist. And I couldn’t take any pictures on our way back because of a heavy rain. But Kage hiking in yellow Crocs makes her feet stand out perfect in those pictures. :laughing:

I am happy even though we had to hike 4.2 km in heavy rain because I didn’t fell down or twist my ankle or get any kind of injury that I usually do. :laughing:

It’s a really nice trail and I will get back to the trail soon when the weather is fine.

We went to Shilin Night Market, but we’re home now. Ahhh, warm, dry clothes!!

Hey fellow travellers. How I envy your quick access to the mountains, or even hills, or even clear streets for a walk without the need for rain and snow boots. Three storms in Vancouver since Christmas. The white stuff is just beginning to go away leaving the city damp, flooded and disfunctional. Did I mention depressing? It’s dark by 4pm and only gets light around 8am. How the hell did I ever live here?

Looking forward greatly to getting back to the Wan. Let’s all consider some overnight hikes during the New year. Not the popular routes, as they will be over-run. But maybe some of the back country around the north, or even the Biyahao trail near Nan-ao if the weather looks decent.

Hi everybody,

Im going to try my best to join you on hikes. So tired of easy accessible, karaoke-saturated, grandpa and grandma filled hikes around the city. I have a dog, does any of you ever take dogs on your hikes? Is it feasible at all or would I have to leave my little mountain climber home? (I have a tugou)

It looks like I’m gonna be spared the family CNY in Heng Chun this year, so if this happens I’d love to join you guys. Overnight would be particularly great since it would compensate for the trip up from Taichung.

I’m curious about the dog thing too. I seem to have fifteen of the bloody things, and a couple of them have hiked with us before and loved it.

MM - that sounds great. My sister is coming and I’d love to show her the real Taiwan. I am just scratching my head as to where to hike. Taroko is on the list, but I am worried about hordes of people… Less travelled trails sounds perfect. Should I buy a better tent?

Brendon and blushin - I have dogs as well, including a Tougou. The hikes we do aren’t really suitable for dogs because we usually drive or take public transit. Dogs aren’t allowed on buses/MRT/trains, and the people who are kind enough to drive don’t have dogs (getting dog hair all over someone else’s car is kinda … uhm… you know.)

That isn’t to say we couldn’t have other hikes for people and their dogs. I would love to hike with my Toufou. I have a carrier that collapses, and I have been trying to figure out ways I can make her look smaller (and lighter!) to take her on the train/bus. I have been successful with the MRT, but I have to be discreet about it…

Tougou, not Tofu.

I just eat peanut butter sandwiches on day hikes.

Hi teggs,

I don’t know much about hiking tour operators in northern Taiwan, let along operators providing tour for foreigners. I think maybe MM or Chris know some of them. But I know a website has a lot of hiking activity annoucements in Chinese.

You can check http://www.keepon.com.tw/Activity.asp and I hope it helps.[/quote]

Thanks for the info…

[quote=“teggs”]Hi teggs,

I don’t know much about hiking tour operators in northern Taiwan, let along operators providing tour for foreigners. I think maybe MM or Chris know some of them.[/quote]
The only professional Westerner-oriented operators I’m aware of are Barking Deer Adventures (based in the south, but occasionally organizing hikes in the more northern areas) and FreshTreks (based in Taipei and catering more toward company team-building adventures).

barking-deer.com/
freshtreks.com/

There are hiking clubs, such as the Forumosa Hiking Club (which is small, very informal and subject to irregularity based on weather and team member availability), and Richard Saunders’ hiking group (regular weekend hikes, rain or shine).

There are some good Taiwanese hiking clubs like 523;
523.org.tw/old/English/index.htm

I’ve got nothing against dogs in my car. No one has ever asked before. Not every hike is suitable for dogs though the majority probably are, especially the longer hikes we do in the winter. blushin, no ktv where we hike.

I’m considering a few overnight hikes: one, the historic trail fromWulai over to Ilan but we would cut north and heading up to the No 9. We could then possibly contrinue on the other side up to the ridge system that kage and I were on above Daxi last year. Or continueu north to Pinglin and end up at Cloud 9 campground.

The Biyahao is also a possibility. Also the Fu-ba trail from Fushan up to the North Cross Island. It would be fun to go up, camp somewhere, and then come down again.

There is also the historic trail near Taian. It can be done in one long long day so we could camp along the way and then return.

So many possibilities.

My preference is for the Biyahao in Nanao though we would have to be prepared for rain.

Overnight hikes are great! It will be a good lesson for me. I need to learn more so that I can gradually take challenges from long hike in high mountains. I have no experiences at all.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]
So many possibilities.
My preference is for the Biyahao in Nanao though we would have to be prepared for rain.[/quote]

Yes, there are a lot of choices. (I love Taiwan!)
But I love to go back to Biyahao trail, too.