The Last Days of Sanity: Madness in the Cram School - A Teacher's Tale

The day to day madness isn’t so bad if we are well paid and isolated from the worst aspects of the culture in our jobs. Management largely leaves me alone, I like to go motocycle camping in solitude and cook at home, Taiwan is pretty OK

6 Likes

What’s the point of thriving anywhere? Not sure what your point is, to be frank. Your life is what you make it, and being a “loser” is more of a mindset than your living circumstances.

You sound a bit elitist though, thinking Southern Europe is pretty much better than anywhere else. Just how much of this great big world have you seen?

5 Likes

You are not working in a cram school. I think that part definitely helps.

Guy

1 Like

Not just seen as a tourist, but lived for a long periods of time, years, in northern Europe, China and Taiwan.
Also seen central Europe, USA, UK.
I don’t know… I think I’ve seen enough to say that.

I think regardless of the income, it’s difficult to match a walk in Rome if you live in Taiwan. But if you live in Rome and you like hiking, the Alps are close enough. If you like scuba diving or snorkeling, you have the Mediterranean. If you like good food… That’s my point.

I don’t see any way that you could match those things in Taiwan or that Taiwan has anything of the same value.
If you are poor, you would live better in Europe, if you are rich, you would live better in Europe.

Maybe I’ve just lived far from home too many years.

Do you think it’s a strange or an unjustified opinion to say that southern Europe is a better place than Taiwan?
Even my Taiwanese friends say that. The ones that have visited any of those countries like Italy, France or Spain.

I agree.
You are saying, without Taiwanese around you, and without the main part of what takes your time, which is work. And camping in the nature alone. Then, and only then, Taiwan is OK.
When I am snorkeling in Green Island, no people around me, not even the groups of tourists who can’t swim wearing life-vests connected to a rope pulled by a Taiwanese instructor, like in Xiaoliuqiu; then yes, when I am in the water alone, I think Taiwan is OK too.
But how much of Taiwan is left if it is just untouched nature? Untouched nature is not what makes a country. The country is what the people of each country do, how they organize themselves politically and the culture they generate, to keep it short.
Let me add, that when Taiwanese do something to nature is to put a sign on that says “Danger, do not enter” or “Do not swim” or something like that. Even in the stairs we have to read “Do no run down the stairs”. I am an adult. I will choose if I run down the stairs or not or if I swim or not.

1 Like

Well, I mentioned work also, you just didn’t quote it

But I get it. Taiwan isn’t southern Europe, I’d rather be there as well

1 Like

After graduating, I did briefly consider doing teacher training because they were offering big incentive payments for teachers going into physics, math etc.

I’m so glad I didn’t.

4 Likes

I have a few questions if you don’t mind.

You aren’t married to a Taiwanese or even married at all, right?

You’ve only been in Taiwan for four years, right?

You’re not a native speaker of English, right?

Therefore, you don’t have a JFRV ARC or APRC with unrestricted work rights, right?

So, how were you able to be qualified to be sponsored for a work-permit to teach English?

What is your current visa and residency status?

1 Like

If you teach your mother tongue you can get the visa to teach that language. So, your cram school can get you a visa to teach, for example, German, but actually you just teach English.
First they have to apply to be allowed to teach German though, or whatever language. After they get the permit or license from the authorities, then they can hire you and sponsor the visa. Getting the license for an additional language takes just two or three weeks, as far as I can remember. It wasn’t a difficult process for them.

In my previous job, which was not a cram school, but a language school, they did the same and I was teaching three different languages. The students made jokes that if I would teach Japanese too, they could fire all the other teachers…

So, if you are not an English native speaker, that’s a way to do it.

Not what you ask, but let me add:

Actually I think, in Taiwan, being a native speaker is almost irrelevant because it’s not about teaching English it’s about handling the kids in a way that is beneficial for everyone, or, at least, doesn’t damage you mentally.
And anyway, only 3% of native speakers use RP; what’s really the point? Besides, you can’t undone the bad pronunciation they get at school or from the Taiwanese teacher. For every time you teach them “red”, there are ten times they teach them “red-ah”.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, why did you spend four years in Taiwan? Or did it take you four years to realise you don’t like Taiwan?

I can’t see any logical reason in your posts as to why you’ve been here so long.

3 Likes

Was going to write some words of encouragement, but then OP called me a loser so nevermind.

1 Like

@Mataiou and I as well as many others on this forum are South European and thrive here.

3 Likes

In my experience the appearance of a place depends a lot on the context of where you are coming from and what you are experiencing in life. El Dorado or the stygian marshes of lower hell might be defined more by the details of an individual’s current experiences, more so than by the number of degrees north or south on a map of a continent on the other side of the globe. Although of course that is part of where you are coming from.

That cram school sounds bad.

1 Like

I will write a book about that. Short version: I wanted my kids to learn Chinese. They learned Chinese well, they went back home last summer. Now it’s my turn to go back home.

Don’t get me wrong. We had a lot of fun here too. But the fun was not related to Taiwanese culture. It was my kids and I doing fun things like snorkeling, or hiking or whatever, but things you can do anywhere else.

Even in my job I try to have fun and play with the kids, bringing them to the park and play soccer, or table tennis. We have fun too, they enjoy to play against the teacher and I enjoy winning each and every time. Win-win.

4 Likes

Wow. I do not know why exactly, but this made me “Wow!”

1 Like

The Canadian prairies suck for both

I agree with @TT that these activities are not in fact universally available everywhere.

I’d add that it’s unfortunate you didn’t have time to learn more about Taiwan’s geography, geology, and history—this is a cruel crazy complex place that offers more when you better understand it.

Guy

Just a bit of creative license. Of course I let them win sometimes. I try that everyone plays, also the shy ones and the girls. It’s important to play against the teachers at the same level, that gives confidence to the kids.
My boss and the Taiwanese teachers complained that I play too much with the children while in the park, instead of teaching them. Even having fun is not allowed. Sometimes when the boss comes to the park, she yells at the kids for not being able to play properly, may it be badminton or jumping rope. I teach them by playing.

Like I said, depending on where you come from you may like Taiwan. Lucky you, I suppose.

Long ago I studied Sinology at the university. Although I am not an expert about Taiwan, I do know some things. The things I don’t like about Taiwan is not because of ignorance.
Like I mentioned before, I do had a lot of fun here too. I’ve visited aboriginal villages, temples, museums, I’ve been in several cities… but long term for me is not worth it. Long term meaning moving here forever or starting my own business here. It’s actually impossible because my kids are back home.
Recently I started reading children’s novels in Chinese and I enjoy that. I will keep doing it until I can read adult novels without consulting the dictionary. That is my plan. But I don’t need to be here for that.

I don’t disagree with that point at all.

I was simply pointing out that stating that the mountainous and marine environments of Taiwan are interchangeable with environments elsewhere . . . that’s not especially accurate. There are some supremely strange things here that take time to learn, and I do not blame you for one second for not learning them, given your circumstances and your goals. For those of us who remain, though, there are actually things to learn . . .

Guy

1 Like

That sound like a good book title. “Supremely strange things. The Taiwan nobody tells you about”.
Waiting at least for topic where you introduce some of those things…

Geologists, among other folks, marvel at this place.

I on the other hand am a mere amateur, just learning bits and pieces along the way.

Guy

1 Like