The Marius Hills and colonization on the moon

Researchers say they found a cave which extended laterally around 50 km in the Marius Hills Hole which has a diameter of around 50 meters. Moon caves could provide shelter for astronauts.

My understanding was that moon had nothing but the dust which might be harmful to humans because of their fineness, but if there were many cave below the surface, we could use the moon in many ways, especially for scientific researches in an environment with less gravity etc although I do not have much knowledge in science. At least 50 km of extension would be enough to start colonizing on the moon creating a base of size like the one in the south pole.

I hope this new finding would be enough attractive for the President Tramp to send men to the moon again to leave his mark not only on the US history but on the human history.

One of my biggest disappointment in life so far is that we cannot travel commercially to the moon yet, even though when I was a child, people though traveling to the moon was feasible near in future. Now I have zero hope traveling to the moon, but at least I am happy hearing new findings especially about the Earth’s nearest neighbor.

Whenever colonization of the moon or Mars is discussed, I wonder. We haven’t figured out how to live in deserts, the Arctic regions, the high mountains, or on the high seas, permanently and cost efficiently. Why not figure out how to colonize these comparatively easy environments before heading out to outer space?

A few thousand years doesn’t count as permanent?

I hope we would experience no space war.

SpaceX’s plan for mars includes going to the moon.

You know what I mean. The area on Earth that is not inhabited by humans is far greater than the whole surface of the Moon and Mars combined. People have been able to live on the fringes of the deserts or the Arctic regions, but not permanently in the middle of it, let alone the oceans. Any of these inhospitable areas should be easier to colonize than any area on the Moon or on Mars, if only because of the simple fact that there is Oxygen. Why not make use of these vast areas first before pouring billions of dollars in space exploration with questionable benefits to humanity? Building a five-star hotel on Mt. Everest would be easier than building a toilet house on the Moon.

2 Likes

I think the colonization does not always mean colonizing with men there, since I doubt human could in practice reproduce in such a low gravity environment, my guess without any foundation is human reproduction on the moon is feasible at most 1 generation but no more. And even if human could reproduce as human on the earth there on the moon, they might not be regarded as being a human from the people on earth since they won’t look like the human, they won’t able to visit the earth, they won’t share much of common interest with human on the earth. So there might be differences between living in the harshest environment on the earth and colonizing on the moon. And also I hope human won’t live in those untouched environments for example the Antarctica, we know we already have destroyed way too much precious system in a very short period of time.

When I think about colonizing the moon with automated machines, I notice we are way too primitive yet, we can’t do much on the moon even using the cutting edge technologies with unlimited fund used. On the other hand when I just focus on my life in earth I feel like human is doing great and can do anything (even though I myself is not at all great haha).
Going to the moon might be like a basic science. I can see no practical benefit on it, but I believe our life drastically changes once we obtain those technologies to colonize the moon.

My dad wants a lunar retirement colony so he can live his golden years in reduced gravity. No muscle mass? No problem, didn’t have any anyhow. Retired biologists and engineers? Send them up with analog equipment. They can’t use the computer anyhow.
Well, the man can dream.