The narratives about Trump thread

That’s an amazing theory! Is there any data backing it? Some report? Possibly not from CNN or Occupy Democrats.

The following is about the minimum wage rise, but the same is true for every increase in wages.

"It’s a hard question because of a hard fact. Many workers who get a boost in pay will see their gains offset by a reduction in the government assistance they are currently receiving.

Why? Eligibility for many public programs—and the amount of support people receive—is need-based. Whether we’re talking about tax credits, healthcare subsidies, affordable housing subsidies, or food stamps, those with lower incomes tend to get more in benefits. So a boost in your income means a corresponding reduction in benefits.

It is hard to generalize and measure the “cost” of someone’s raise to $15 per hour because each person’s situation is different. Program eligibility depends not only on incomes but also on factors such as whether you have children, the number of people you live with, where you live, and other household members’ income. (Having to do the complicated math around such benefits is another burden of being poor in this country.) But for the most part, the working poor face what can be thought of as high marginal taxes (north of 60 percent, in many cases) on every additional dollar they earn. For example, a recent Congressional Budget Office report found that a single parent with one child who makes between $5,000 and $20,000 a year gets only $15 of every additional $100 he makes.

Taken together, the income rules for various programs create cliffs that a big raise can push you off. (Such cliffs are also sometimes called “welfare traps,” and economists argue about whether they discourage work.) Eligibility for food stamps is based on two different tests to demonstrate that your household has a low income. For Section 8 housing, your household income cannot surpass 50 percent of your area’s median income. And the earned income tax credit, one of the most important sources of cash for low-income working families, phases out as income rises."

http://time.com/3510274/minimum-wage-fifteen-dollars-less-benefits/

Increase in wage =/= reduction in taxes

Increase in wages and getting less money in the end is a factual possibility.

A factual possibility? So the explanation of:“Trump reduced taxes to corporations so that workers will pay more taxes” is as solid as the Jews conspiracies you can find on 4Chan or the Daily Stormer.

Yes, it is. How do you think he’s going to cover for his deficit? He’ll pull the $$$ from thin air as he’s done all these years. Finding loopholes for his businesses paying less or no taxes on the back of the US tax payer.

Ask Fox Mulder, he’s a believer!

Workers who are benefiting from the tax cuts will pay more taxes.

1513396006910s

Ok, I’m sure that’s a completely reasonable theory and not just a:“I need to find a way to achieve my daily counter of things I could blame Trump for”.

1 Like

I relish his utter lack of PC, especially as the left veers sharply into their own vast Puritan shithole. Video’s not up and I don’t use VPN, but this is gold from Saturday’s SNL. The video should be available here soon, I think.

…But the real stars of the [opening] sketch were alumni of “S.N.L.” making guest appearances: Fred Armisen and Bill Murray.

Mr. Armisen returned as Michael Wolff, the polarizing author of “Fire and Fury,” the book about the Trump White House that has gripped Washington (and the country) for more than a week. When asked what he didn’t include in the book, Mr. Armisen offered up this: “baby races.”

“Trump would ask to have two babies placed in his office, usually of different ethnicities,” Mr. Armisen said. “Someone would put a bowl of Goldfish crackers on the other side of the room, and Trump would say, ‘A thousand bucks on the black one.’”

Got to love the times we live in.

1 Like

Taxes in the US aren’t confiscatory. If you make more money you will take home more money.

Note also that last month’s Tax Cuts and Jobs Act ups the (single) standard deduction from $6,350 to $12,000. US citizens who will be most helped financially (nominally) by immigration reform will most definitely take home more in pay (real pay).

If you’re a beginning Wal-Mart employee who’s just seen your hourly wage jump from $9/hr to $11/hr, it’s an unequivocal pay raise. They will see a raise in each paycheck this year, and it’s possible they will also benefit from a sizable tax refund in 2019 for their 2018 income.

The information in your time.com link is from 2014. It’s almost four years out of date.

Not long ago someone on Twitter spread the rumors that Trump likes to spend his time off in his office watching gorillas fight on tv, so the White House staff had to setup a 24/7 video playback of gorillas fighting each other.
If was of course fake, but people with Trump’s derangement syndrome would believe anything nowadays, so the “news” spread on many social medias and people were pointing out the fact that Trump enjoying watching gorillas fighting each other was clearly due to the fact that he’s racist.
Fire and Fury is basically the story of a guy who’s making money off of that kind of storytelling. Pretty smart guy.

Would they believe in Satanic pizza?

Give 'em another couple months.

or 7 more years!

The same crowd that believes Hello Kitty is satanic… sigh.

Sooner or later there’s going to be a sex tape.

I hope it will be Ivanka’s. I love the God Emperor, but I find his daughter more attractive than him.

sheetall

National Geographic is a far-right fake news outlet in 3…2…1…

1 Like

2018 definition of a racist/bigot = saying true sentences. Does this mean I can’t call Xinzhuang and Sanchong shitholes anymore?

Only when they’ll become independent countries!