The narratives about Trump thread

They dig under it, they don’t jump over it!

Ja, only white, blond people form Sweden … Germany … Norway, take your pick. Donald Drumpf did.

Wait…are we talking about rabbits, or drug smugglers?

That was legal immigration, not illegal.

Unfortunately, “rational as hell” is now a racist dog whistle.

Palestinians!

Unfortunate, indeed.

More like hope that we may all have our own gardens to take care of.

I am curious though why you feel it as a threat. That was not my intention. Was it something I said? Grammar? Word choice?

You made an extraordinary comment earlier. It touched on race, blood, and what seemed to be an assertion of (human? civil?) rights that ‘brownies’ have in the US, even though they’re not US citizens. It seemed to be a radical point of view.

Then you never agreed that the USA has a basic duty - a basic matter of national security, one that every other nation quite rightly insists on - to control its own borders. Who goes in, and why, and how long they can stay. You never addressed this question directly, choosing instead to use a metaphor about fires, rabbits, and fences. You did say that these fires were started by the US, though.

Then you moved blithely on to gardens and their care. You mentioned that the US will only be able to ‘tend to its garden’ when the fires stop. >That is a threat.

Message I got was that until the US stops the fires then then ‘brownies’ have every right to enter the US, without regard to US immigration law. They’ve paid for it in blood. If the US stops the fires, then perhaps the rabbits will ignore the fence and be happy in their garden. Until the US stops the fire, though, all bets are off. >That is extortion.

1 Like

Brownies do not care if they have a right or not, they are just running away from a deadly fire.

I think my statement is not a threat, it is a stament: if there is a fire next door, you cannot enjoy a cup of tea. You will be worried looking over the fence, wondering if you should take steps in case the fire gets so big it crosses over.

Think of how many fires we share: war on drugs, corruption, environment. It would be better to collaborate in putting them out rather than worry just in making a higher fence. I am not making a threat about the fire, I am offering a solution for mutual benefit: put. out. the. fire. It is not “all bets are off”. What are you so afraid of? I understand that the cities and communities are color divided in teh US because you are afraid of “them” taking your stuff. This is not teh case here.

A bit more about the rabbits: Think about workers here in Taiwan. Seems illogical to go into depbt for 5000 USD for a salary of 500 USD a month, of which you will see probably 50 NTD a month as teh rest go to intermediaries. yet many do come…

We brownies still need to feed our little ones. Some justify it as a right. Many fires where started back in teh day, from banana plantations to railroads to the Canal to Iran-contras to… You are not happy with so many rabbits jumping over, the rabbits do not want to die jumping over. The wall will not stop them from jumping over. There have been legal leeways before. You want to stop illegal immigration, they of course do not want to be there illegally. So both our interests are the same. You do not want us there, we do not want to be there. It is teh option of teh desperate. What changes can be made to effectively curtail that illegal immigration? Only economic changes, policies that hold accountable those accountable. For that, we do need your help. At least, do not send teh warships. Stop feeding teh fires.

Slightly OT since there’s already a topic about that, but when people from Venezuela decided to democratically elect Maduro as the glorious leader of the country following the path lead by Chavez, and this lead them to become a semi-failed state in basically no time, was it the USA’s fault? Or is there some local accountability there?

Didn’t you tune in to Maduro’s (and Chavez’) hours-long rants blaming all the country’s problems on Yankee imperialism? Hello!?! Are you even paying attention?

I’d like to see all borders eliminated in the Americas, from the tip of South America to the top of North America. The only ones not eligible for free movement would be anyone who’d been convicted of a violent crime. They would be tagged and bagged using the latest technology.

Eventually it will happen because borders are, in most cases, inherently backwards but we’ll just have to be patient.

Yes, because they din’t like the way they were treated and decided to go against the current.

‘I don’t like the way the U.S. treats us. I’m moving there.’

1 Like

That worked out great!

I didn’t say it’s perfect, even I think the leaders in Venezuela are assholes.

Ugh. Where to start.

First off, the US has every right to control its borders and its national security. Unconditionally. Illegal immigration is just that, illegal. Not trying to be mean about it, but in the end the fire burning outside the borders of the US is a fire that is owned by somebody else. Not the job of the US to put out fires in Central and South America. Full stop.

If Central and South Americans choose to enter the US illegally, I have zero qualms about making them not welcome and removing them forthwith from the US. None. No other country would do any less for its security, and evidently no other country will do any more to make immigration easier or they’d head there instead.

Canada is in a similar situation. So is Europe, especially eastern Europe. They are accepting fewer legal immigrants as well. Ok, now I will go back to talking about illegal immigration.

Two. Illegals take jobs away from Americans who do not have them now. Not only that, but illegal immigrants will do that work for less than the market price. And they’ll do it reliably and, because they’re in the country illegally, they’ll do that work without complaint.

For poor US citizens - and increasingly for those who are sliding out of a middle class lifestyle - one reason they can’t break out of poverty is that many companies have the option to hire an illegal immigrant instead. The illegal immigrant won’t help in any kind of collective bargaining - can’t help with that since they’re in the country illegally - and the end result is that wages at the bottom are flat. They haven’t grown in decades. It is impossible to drive a wage abutment into bedrock if it’s illegal, high-quality workers all the way down. You cannot be a successful nation if you tolerate an infinite supply of cheap and reliable labor that is in the country illegally.

Three. Americans will rebel. In fact, in many ways that’s what Trump represents, a rebellion by many US citizens who’ve fallen through the middle class into something they never signed up for, working hard as hell all the way down. A quarter of a century ago our leaders failed to build a safety net for those US citizens whose jobs were up for export to Mexico and Asia through global trade. That decision has now come back to haunt the US and evidently some rabbits, too.

And what about the hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs the US has sent to Mexico? Is that not enough? Where is the limit to US largesse?

1 Like

Despite Trudeau fluffing up Canada as a sanctuary, I have mentioned this many times to the chagrin of dumbass English teaching expats. Any reforms that Trump does in the US could not match Canada in terms of corporate meanness. :grin::grin:

Canada`s immigration system is based on points, not family renunciation. In other words, no money? No education? Fat ass chance of becoming Canadian. :rofl:

And how did those work out?

I think you mean reunification. But anyway, what’s your point? That Justin is too clever a salesman for his own good? Or that Canada needs immigration reform? Or that it doesn’t?