The narratives about Trump thread

I know you are trying to be contrarian and facetious, but this is actually correct. Let me speak in little words for you.

If you lower taxes on one segment of the population, you have to raise them else where, or cut spending across the board to maintain equilibrium.

If you bothered to read what I wrote, then you would see the second comment is true. Illegals have no meaningful effect on employment or wages. They have a positive effect on their local economies.
It is nice to think that getting rid of immigrants will automatically jump start the US economy, but reality being what it is, it will not happen. Why? Well, costs. Why should an employer pay someone $10/hr when they can pay someone $1/hr? Get rid of illegals, or immigrants as a whole, and the employers will automate, or outsource. Now that is a negative effect on the economy. And since the employer has a huge tax cut, there is no more incentive to hire anyone. Just increase overseas manufacturing. Hell, they do not even need domestic buyers anymore.

Give it a try.

So, people can be punished by the actions of their parents?

As opposed to Fox or Breitbart, where that one-way opinion goes the opposite way.

One of the arguments tossed around during the ACA debate was about how the US does not have a national healthcare system in place and other nations do. Now, the argument against immigration is that other nations have tough immigration requirements, so the US should get in-step with them. The US is one of the few nations that have “citizenship by birth”, so the US should follow the world and get rid of it? Does that mean the US should follow the world trends and go metric and have a comprehensive safety net for all citizens?

Thats not true at all. There are indeed many ways I could refute this, the easiest would be to say 3% GDP growth would accumulate more (over double actually) the projected 1.5T in lost revenue due to Trumps tax cuts. When calculating the revenue a Government would take in additionally to its current level of GDP and calculated over the same 10 year period at a nominal level of around 10%.

There are all sorts of additional factors that one might weigh up, unemployment rates, increased purchasing power per individual after costs like the individual mandate are removed. Larger bonuses, whether or not your businesses are constrained by the Paris accord.

1 Like

Yip, in Taiwan for the preference for manufacturers is Vietnamese females. Hard working, quiet and cheap.

and cute 8)

1 Like

This lives under the assumption that everything will stay the same. Historically, that has never proved to be the case. Also, the old trickle-down theory, which has proven to be false, is also being rehashed.
What about inflation? Wage increase? PPP is meaningless if wages do not grow ahead of inflation, or other increases to cost of living expenses. Higher costs for healthcare, for example, will eat in to that.
What happens if there is a recession in the EU, or China, or in the US?

I am not saying tax cuts are not beneficial, just that if the largest cuts were given to the middle class (earners between $25k to $150k per year) would have done more to stimulate the economy than the largest of the cuts going to the top 10% of earners. The middle class as defined above are the majority of earners in the US. They are most likely to spend their money on durable goods and other spending that will boost the economy overall. These are the spenders who will buy that extra TV, or computer. Who will buy a new washer and dryer. Get that new car, do home improvements. Spending that supports economies. Above that, the spending is decreased and tied into niche markets, i.e. luxury goods and overseas spending. Below that, spending is tied into survival.

1 Like

Wrong.

Give tax cuts to the middle class → money is spent or saved
Give tax cuts to large companies → money is invested, benefiting everyone

benfits

These are the bonuses that some of the largest US companies gave to employees after the tax reform. The list would be longer if it included smaller companies as well.
This is money that the working class receives in addition to what they save on their own tax cuts. The rest of the money that corporations are saving from taxes is not going to be stuffed under a mattress: investments, hiring, renovations etc etc are all things that any entrepreneur with a grain of salt would do in order to increase profits, and this is what benefits everyone in the long run.

A tax reform that benefits both the middle class AND large corporations is almost ideal to boost the economy.

1 Like

That’s a fascinating alternative to the wall.

Only a grand? Against $170B in income? Only 200,000 will get it? AT&T also announced 1000 jobs would be axed.

Many have said they have no plans to increase anything. Thanks for the money, though.

If you make $50k you will save a little more than $600. About .40 per hour raise. Not factoring state or local taxes. Versus the $15m DP gave himself. I do not think he is going to do any massive hiring as a result.

Luckily there’s a solution for that:“Hey, just work harder or longer”. Nice!

Now, moving on from discussions that would make my economics professor roll in her grave if she was dead:

Trump last week:“We can discuss DACA and see if we reach an agreement”
Democrats over the last few days:" If our version of DACA doesn’t pass, we’re going to shutdown the government over the spending bill"
Today: #releasethememo is trending everywhere. Every single person who was at the private reading of the memo is shocked. Every Democrat is pushing to not have it released to the public

trump-4d-chess-624x326

This is too perfect, I can’t be seeing this. Eventually I’m going to wake up and think:“Woah, it was just a dream…I thought I was in the best timeline ever…”.

aFbSubxxQ7D-9yPGcWdvg2Ot9zNd57VLRuwcTvS7VtM

1 Like

glad to see CNN picks real moderate heroes for their front page.

If this memo is so damning and of such great national security, wouldn’t a senator, or whoever has seen it, break rank and just release it, or at least say whats on it? Otherwise it is looking like a distraction.

It has been hinted that Russian bots are behind the Twitter trend, with links going to wikileaks. Even if it was released, how would you know you got the full unedited version?

Towards the end, Romans also lost the willingness to do hard work and the ability to control Rome’s borders and enforce its laws on new arrivals from the north. Cheap foreign labor willing to do hard work Romans didn’t want to do made it all seem worth it. In reality the unwillingness and inability of Romans to control their own destiny were signs of terminal cultural decay.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on the axiom that lower wages will result in higher wages?

Representative Ron DeSantis (Chairman of the Subcomittee on National Security) tweeted out that the report is classified Top Secret and would require the committee to vote to release it.

Not sure how you’d prove a negative when it comes to something that is classified unless you had clearance and reason to see the original report. A released version, with redacted sections to protect sources, could still be useful.

You know how a fast food chain can be considered the bottom of the barrel in its country of origin yet prestigious in another country?

I’m just saying there are other business models (and consumer models) besides the scrape-the-bottom-of-the-barrel one.

Presumably those models would require people to willingly pay higher prices for the same products . . .?