The narratives about Trump thread

5a641ffeaf4eb

“vagina am i right?”

“vote to fluism”

Will men ever recover?

2 Likes

Why does this sound familiar? :ponder:

Didn’t used to be that way, flappers back in the 20’s , drink some moonshine, dance to some jazz, all good. Today’s lot are communists, punching kicking spitting while at the same time calling themselves anti-war.

Younger you are, or the hotter the female, the sooner men recover. I can’t speak for zirs.

And the right is not?

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/21/579463937/few-signs-of-progress-as-partial-government-shutdown-enters-second-day?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20180121&utm_campaign=news&utm_term=nprnews

This is like blaming who was responsible for cancelling the World Series in 1994. The owners, or the players. The players cried they did not vote to end the season, and the owners cried that the players would not agree to their demands.

I am at a lost to understand how support for DACA is somehow tied to support for illegal immigration.

"Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was an American immigration policy that allowed some individuals who entered the country as minors, and had either entered or remained in the country illegally, to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and to be eligible for a work permit. "

1 Like

I know what it is. It is not open to any illegal immigrant. There are requirements. Many who fit the requirements for DACA came to the US on the whims of their parents. So, I am at a loss to understand how my support for a program that does not punish children for the actions of their parents, is automatic support for illegal immigration.

This offers some nice insights.

https://www.npr.org/2017/09/06/548882071/fact-check-are-daca-recipients-stealing-jobs-away-from-other-americans

Please pardon the partial (only) quote. Bottom line is: illegal immigration is just that, illegal.

I don’t usually use images or gif’s to support my political views, lazy, but in this case I don’t know how to avoid using one. I mean, if you have to explain ‘illegal’ then you are on the wrong foot already, and not likely to recover.

2 Likes

Maybe others see it differently, but I cannot understand how punishing children, for the crimes of their parents, is the right thing to do. And in my view, rescinding DACA is doing just that. I personally view it in the same light as if a child is in the car as the parents rob a bank, then the child should not be sent to prison.

And that’s a wonderfully generous attitude, one that will earn you respect among all mankind.

The problem is that we in the US parcel out citizenship based conditionally on birth soil. If you’re born on US soil, you qualify. No ifs ands or buts.

But that generosity has limits. A consequence of limits is that parents who immigrate illegally have to start over, and apply for legal immigration. That may involve a disruption for their children who are not US citizens, unfortunately. On the other hand, if they were born on US soil they are welcome to stay with relatives until the parents can sort out the ramifications of immigrating illegally.

No other country in the world will treat illegal immigrants more generously, guaranteed. Still, US generosity is not infinite, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Fair. But I disagree, for 2 reasons.

1. There is economic, or even criminal detriment as a result of illegals living in the country. As the article I linked to above states, there are some for sure, but really nothing meaningful. Statistics back that up.
  2. Illegal immigration should be curtailed, and the law should be obeyed. However, illegal is not simply illegal, in my view. There are various shades of grey. Otherwise, what is the point of due process? If apprehended, they should be able to apply for some status and given a review. States should be given the right to accept immigrants, illegal or otherwise, if they apply for protective status.

A “law is the law” approach must be absolutely all or nothing, even for minor infarctions, and applied equally to absolutely every citizen and visitor.

Correction: almost none. (Diplomats etc.)

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 was another amnesty program which was supposed to give the U.S. back control of its borders and immigration and all it did was perpetuate lawlessness and encourage even more illegal immigration. DACA is more of the same. What the U.S. should do at this point is just give up trying to enforce its borders and control immigration and form some sort of EU-style confederation with Mexico and Central America. It’s sole focus then should just be trying to identify Dreamers with criminal records and criminal intent and putting them on express buses to New York State where they’re headed now anyway to at least exercise some control over the opioid nightmare they’ve caused in the U.S.

http://archive.is/NW0m9

IMG_3226

His own money instead of everyone else’s money. That’s as sincere as charity gets.

The logic of identity politics and reparations. But here the analogy breaks down: it’s not punishing the kids. Nothing they were entitled to is being taken from them.

Oh, and it’s said they tend to commit more crimes or something. Maybe because their parents set terrible examples.

I can only support punishing children for the sins of their parents when the children themselves commit the same sins. Which they often do, because kids are impressionable.* But it’s not punishment to withhold what they were never entitled to in the first place.

• This how culture works. This is why culture wars matter.

Eh that is what I was saying about fire and all that stuff. The main market for drugs is in the US. You guys have a pharmaceutical company collusion/system fueled internal opiod crisis… and then there is the imported stuff. This imported stuff also leaves a trail of blood and tears and fuels everything from human traficking to … Wall Street. massive amounts of money being “cleaned”.

More efforts are necessary to stem the traffic for good… in the US, with the banks and investors. They can trace where the money goes. The drug money. The cartels do not keep the money under a mattress but wash it in many tax havens. Their detail sellers in the US also are putting billions in the economy. Close teh tap. That is something we cannot do. I hope you guys can.

Why we can’t?

Let me give you an example. One of our presidentail candidates funded the largest coyote operation. He owns like a quater of the country in lands, and rules with a hand of iron. He is also teaching in one of your Ivy League schools, who pat themselves in the back for having the generosity towards a Third world leader. Other of our not so glorious leaders, renownly corrupt killers and up to their eyebrows in drug money teach in Europe and constantly appear on international meetings about the environment and other trendy topics. I cannot believe these monsters are allowed on US soil, let alone honored. I am not asking you to prosecute them, but if we get rid of them, there are economic consequences, in order to keep “estability”. Sigh.

If you think being a dreamer in the U.S. is bad try being a dreamer in that bastion of moral superiority to its north.

“Canada has a robust and structured immigration system that must be respected. Before leaving your job, pulling your child from school and selling your house to come to Canada, make sure you understand the rules and the laws. Because if you don’t fill these criteria, chances are you’ll be returned, not to the U.S. but to your native country.
– Canadian government announcement

. . . but what about the kids?

But what about Taiwanese? Many young Taiwanese on work visas have recently found out their work permits have been canceled -even after years on the job, with reliant big company sponsors. It has already started. At least they can come back to mom and dad and try for a summer job pushing hay in Australia. But yeah, Americans need that job… how’s foreign language teaching in the US coming? Yes, I know, if you are in the States, then learn English, but would be helpful you know to expand markets and such. Oh well.

As I said before, most deportations are taking the low lying mangoes. Not only is skilled labor affected -teachers, office jobs, etc- but small town fisheries, farms and others are most affected. Should be easy to find workers but offering higher salaries may trigger inflation. It is a conundrum.