The news that ain't

As I was reading this:

I was also trying to figure out if Tom Petty was really really dead or just dying. Basically, general news feeds are kaput.

In the era of clicks and fake news, I found pics of Tainan’s fallen building in news about Mexico’s quake. It is difficult to figure out what is and seems when you have a title saying Catalan firemen stood against Spanish police, but the image is last year’s, and so on and so forth.

Seriously, I really don’t know what we are going to do. One could start a war over this. Oops.

1 Like

Did they also mistake Taiwanese for Mexicans?
I was mistaken for Mexicans for a very few times.
Also Turkish or Arabic for a very few times.

I actually appreciated those people, for they could tell the slight difference in looks of different East Asians, instead of simply considering all East-Asian-look-alike to be Chinese from China.

The problem with reporting on Tom Petty’s death is that everyone was trying to be the first to report it. Before it was even official, when he was just sent to the hospital unconscious in cardiac arrest, some outlets were already reporting him dead so they could be first. Most news around that time just had an empty article that said, “news still developing.” People are shit and death sells

1 Like

The media, particularly Rolling Stone, have been out of order on this one. However, in their defence I believe the police screwed up by announcing he was dead.