The oddest foreigner you've met here -- share your story

Let that be a lesson.
Never marry a little guy who dresses all in green and speaks in rhyme.

3 Likes

Spent ten years sure wasn’t he just down the road all that time!

God, that last line is funny. Oh, man. Thanks for that.

Years ago, I was introduced to an expat at a party. We shook hands, then he leaned over and stuck his tongue way down into my ear canal. Disgusting! I mentioned it to others who said, Oh, he always does that, to guys, girls, whatever (That’s just Harvey). My guess is he’s either back in America now working as a junior manager at a Dairy Queen or serving in the House of Representatives (cha bu duo).

I didn’t know Harvey Weinstein did a stint in Taiwan :smirk:

2 Likes

Isn’t anyone going to talk about the 6-Foot Tibetan Death Squad??

c4IOOS6

Has anyone met a guy I have seen a few times at The River in Chungli who always wears a hat or head beanie with tattoo’s on his face (the hat/beanie hides it) and of Indian descent?

He was pretty damn odd.

Yes. He’s odd, but a good guy. He’s my friend. Name is Isaiah.
Okay, odd is an understatement

1 Like

Most of the crazies head for China nowadays.

1 Like

Dude, that was before ARCs. Back in the day of open employment, when you’d get on the elevator on the ground floor jobless and get off at the 6th floor employed.

1 Like

and with a date for the evening

3 Likes

I think we can politely say that those days are gone.

Guy

Long gone, haven’t had a date in a good while.

1 Like

Uh, no, dude, it was in the first couple years of them having ARCs, like it says in the post. “Open employment” is a kind of weird euphemism for “largely tolerated illegal employment”, but whatever. Anyway, dude, the point was that the whole Foreign Exchange Memo thing was, if anything, peculiar to Student Visa holders, that regular (legal) working stiffs could buy $US, $CN, PHP, THB, whatever, just like a real country.

1 Like

What year did ARC’s start, and what year did the Employment Service Act come into effect? (Just asking.)

it’s 1992.05.08.

Now they know how long some of us have been around.

:grandpa:

1 Like

I was an innocent schoolgirl at that time yet :whistle:

外國人入出國境及居留停留規則 was announced on 民國 78 年 01 月 08 日. It’s 1989. Even older.

These also include the word of 居留證.

內政部受理外國民間機構、團體在我國設置辦事處申請登記注意事項
民國 76 年 11 月 04 日 in 1987

領事關係公約
中華民國61年3月7日立法院第49會期第6次會議通過 in 1972

3 Likes

I remember my roommate getting an ARC in about 1991/2, the freak. I think ELSI was the first to be issued them.