The oddest foreigner you've met here -- share your story

For Durins Bane:

His real name sounded like part of your user name with one letter changed

Yep, his parent had to go to Thailand to take him home.

wow, well good to know he’s in better hands.

Thailand!?!

I swear I saw Sideways Steve in a Mickey Mouse outfit and makeup in the subway yesterday.

What a freak. I think I saw him in the underground walkway at Roosevelt and Hsin Hsheng Nan Lu. Apparently, he has a tendancy to push young ladies as they pass by him. Not violently are anything, but certainly intrusive. I know this cuz the perfect partner told me she has been given a jovial (?) little shove each time she passes him.

Hey freak, if you are reading this, consider it fair warning. If I ever hear of you touching my girlfriend again, BeiJing will pick you up on radar as a UFO (Ultimate Freak is OUTTAHERE).

Foook it I just call em Turd Burglars… but me… I’m a Womb Raider

Satellite that was on page 1 of this thread - nearly two months ago!
Try to keep up will ya, or you’ll have to stay behind after class. :laughing:

Hmmmm I know that Subway Steve. I didn’t realize he was so weird. I’d have to say Kirk from Taichung. Kirk has a tiny substance abuse problem…little one… and he even spent one Christmas confiding in a few of us that he had a problem with alcohol. After a long dramatic pause, he reached into his pocket, pulled out some ice and continued to sniff it and a few Kuai Kuai crumbs off the coffee table. Ole Kirk…Taichung wouldn’t be the same without him.

Look at my Join date lol

i fink i wrote that admonishment but it was in another lifetime…

The oddest foreigner I ever met was an Indonesian guy named Johnny, who is missing part of his hand due to an accident in a factory. He was a very religious Christian guy, and was not good looking. However, he was very nice and had a lot of friends (including some very cute girls) with whom we would get together for language exchanges or outings. He had no phone and was always in some kind of financial difficulty, and would sometimes ask for money. But I never gave any money to him; yet we remained sorta-friends and would still get together for the language exchange meetings.

Just came across this while searching for something else. Very entertaining. Anyone got any more stories to share?

A lot of guys that have been in Taiwan a while come across as weird to me… An Australian guy ( i think Dave) pulled out a chunk of hash in a well known night venue and indiscreetly rolled up a spliff…and openly blew it at the venue. He’s been here for yeeears and claims to be good friends with Chen Shui Bien…i somehow doubt that.
I think that some long termers arent necessarily odd, but are out of touch with the real world. I know a few that have been in Taiwan 10yrs + and are complete sociopaths. A particular gent from India who has a severe drinkng problem seems to think that he is connected all the way up to the top of the Mafia chain, so therefore has a right to touch up any woman -married or not. Oh, and it doesnt matter if hubby is there! Has caused quite a few conflicts strangely enough. Odd? I dunno but its certainly abnormal!

So amazed I’m not in here…

One guy I work with talks to himself all the time. It’s funny. Sometimes he’ll just burst out laughing for no apparent reasons. It’s a bit odd and sometimes annoying when sitting near him while trying to concentrate on writing lesson plans or marking tests because he’s constantly talking. More like a murmur, actually, which makes it even more annoying.

Nice guy, though.

I play with puppets and just spent the time it took to read all 16 pages of this thread. Thanks for bringing it back so I could waste away my day. I could be out watching the fireworks going on outside…as there are never enough of those in Taiwan and I might miss this chance.

So I nominate me to be a part of this thread. And I do so proudly.

Beat this. Some guy meets a snake while walking his dog. Thinks, “Oo! Purdy snake. I’ll take his picture.” So he gets close… but the snake doesn’t think much of this, and tries to leave. So he grabs the snake, and tries to get it to pose. “Sit snake. Stay.” (No word if he offered doggy biscuits.) Snake doesn’t think much of this either, and has had enough, so it turned and bit him. Ouch!

What’s he do then?

Tries again.
“Doh! Stoopid snake… bit me again.”

:unamused:

I ask you…

Come on! It was just a baby. Anyone know what it is, by the way? Right pretty, whatever it is. Sharp teeth, too, the little bugger.

Up here in the mountains at Alishan and Yushan we let the kids run a snake wash. :smiley: :smiley:

Snakes are commonly seen around our homes.

Which little bugger has the sharp teeth in this picture? :noway: :noway:

Sadly, the majority of the few foreigners I’ve met have been those “English” teachers everyone seems to talk about. From my experience in the few months I’ve been here thus far, I wouldn’t trust 90% of them with my pencil, much less a child.

Come to think of it, I’ve yet to meet a normal, quality-caliber foreigner that wasn’t introduced through my employer. Hopefully that changes soon.