The Pope and China

But child raping, that’s a bit special, in this day and age. Who the fuck would continue to send their children to a catholic school to provide fodder for child rapists? These boys are made to confess the raping by the priest, to the actual priest that did the raping.

Fair takes the breath away that does.

I don’t think those numbers are the relevant ones.

More likely: Taiwan has 300,000 Catholics about half of whom are Filipino migrants. This number is in decline. China has at least 2M to 5M and the numbers are increasing.

The abuse of women and children under the catholic church has been systematic.

Just one example:

It’s a multi-level-marketing?

1 Like

Far be it from me to take sides in a religious dispute, but it’s not just Catholic institutions that have had that kind of stuff exposed in the last few decades.

And of course it goes back much further, to before the CC even existed, but back then it wasn’t talked about as much. For an incredibly depressing time, pick up a copy of The History of Childhood by Lloyd DeMause.

Yes but why continue in a religion that rapes children and then protects the rapists? In 2018? Cardinal George Pell is on trial in Melbourne right now. Third highest Vatican official, the pope’s holding his fucking hand.

Having lived through Argentina’s Dirty War, the Pope has plenty of practice ignoring inconvenient truths.

You jest, but I’d say that’s exactly what it is. Churches (franchises) are a powerful means of implementing a distributed government, and priests (power sellers) shift the product while also creating the next generation of leaders.

While those events are obviously horrific for the people involved, they represent a pretty small slice of the mischief the CC gets up to, and I don’t think they see it as some sort of core mission to abuse young boys, so the majority of parents/pupils can (correctly) assume “it won’t happen to me”.

I guess they protect the priests involved because it’s important to show that they can do so. Admitting that the CC is subject to the law of the land would erode their authority.

So, if Catholics are morally equal to Nazis, is it okay to kill them? Should I kill the priest down the street? As far as I know he hasn’t molested anybody, but you say the abuse is systematic.

1 Like

This thread is actually more anti-Catholic than I am, and I started it.

I’ve had people tell me they chose Catholicism because they were convinced intellectually. I was skeptical, but then I read C.K. Chesterton. The man had a first rate mind, and he was totes Catholic.

On the other hand, I knew a lot of Catholics growing up - and they were morons. Not a Chesterton among them.

But the current Pope more or less defines Catholicism. This one could be a reductio ad absurdam. He has the power to destroy the Church with his reckless moral narcissism and political bumbling. What will become of the wreckage? Something that big can’t just evaporate.

Who will pick up the pieces?

I’ve never really understood that. Chesterton had a lot of opinions I’d disagree with, but he was no idiot. He must surely have noticed the logical/theological holes in Catholicism. It’s likely, I suppose, that Catholicism in early 20th-century Britain meant something different to what it means, in, say, today’s South America.

For me personally I’d have no problem with reckless moral narcissism and political bumbling from a religious leader. In fact I’d pretty much expect it. My issue would more be with the violence of the church. Woman incarcerated for the crime of getting pregnant, baby taken from her at birth, mother put to forced labor washing shirts, baby sold, or baby not sold and then neglected, baby dies and is thrown in sewer. Oh gosh look there are 800 dead babies in the sewer, gosh.

Heres another one:

1 Like

Ehhhh I’m pretty sure it’s been through worse. It’s not like some tea party social club or something, that a mildly left wing type is going to send shock waves torching through it.

No you shouldn’t kill the priest but the Catholic religion should be banned the same way cults that advocate morally reprehensible practices are banned. Why should we countenance a religion that allows its priests to engage in child rape and protects them from any legal consequences?

I think the numbers show that about one in twelve priests are evil, deviant scumbags who’d sell their own grandmothers but that leaves 92% who are decent, upright human beings committed to what they believe in. And that ratio has held pretty steady since the very beginning. That’s why it’s entirely possible for most Catholics to go through twelve years of Catholic schooling, including being altar boys, and never once be raped or even come close to it. That’s my experience, for example. I had no idea pockets of child rape and infanticide existed throughout the Catholic Church because I was fortunate to be in the other 92% the whole time I was growing up.

And, no, we don’t worship the Catholic Church. We worship God the father, son and Holy Spirit. We’re entirely clear on the fact that the Church is an organization run by human beings who span the gamut from Judas Iscariots to Francis of Assisis because anybody can join.

I’m also clear on the concept that, for some reason, the higher up you go in the Catholic Church hierarchy the meaner, more legalistic and self-satisfied the people are which explains why they shielded pedophile priests at the expense of innocent kids for so long. I’ve never really liked most of those guys anyway so seeing the guilty ones going to jail feels like vindication. It was religious hierarchy types who killed Jesus too though so there’s nothing new about that phenomenon either. So when you’ve lit the torches and raised high the pitchforks all I ask is that you take care not to throw out former altar boys and the other eleven apostles with the bath water too.

1 Like

One out of twelve, huh? Now there’s a symbolic percentage.

3 Likes

I was off by one percent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/02/05/catholic-church-under-royal-commission-spotlight_a_21707512/

Giving anyone that kind of moral authority is a recipe for disaster.

2 Likes

Totally, the psycos were drawn to it like flies to poop

Take it up with Jesus. It was his idea.

Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by My Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”…