The Taiwan Weather Thread 2017

Here’s the thread of old pics of Taipei, it seems like it was more smoggy back then compared to now.

Actually, there’s a barometric pressure factor.
Real pre-typhoon days tend to be freakishly clear in Taipei
Remember that a lot of the haze/fuzziness we normally see in Taipei is actually humidity.
The leading edge of the incoming or nearby system squeezes the wet polluted air out of the basin.

yea those pics are what made me think about it. some are smoggy but most seem clearer. maybe thats because there were less tall buildings so you can see the mountains in most pics. the xingtian temple one is quite fun.

Finally! CWB is predicting it won’t rain in Taidong tonight - so at last we can expect some decent falls.

Judging from the radar it could really bucket down in a few places on the mid-north Taidong coast

TaidongCouncil41m1
Finally! CWB is predicting it won’t rain in Taidong tonight - so at last we can expect some decent falls.

Judging from the radar it could really bucket down in a few places on the mid-north Taidong coast

Decent falls, as in waterfalls for cool river tracing?

Did once around Rui-suei, through local B&B.
Owner took just a few of us west of the town and river-traced. Ended up at a cool 2-4 story high waterfalls that we just continually climbed up (the rock by rope ladder) and jumped in.

Holy crapsteaks!!! Horizontal sheets blowing in Zhonghe, visibility about 20%.

…on the day I ditch my umbrella, the heavens decide to open up…

It’ll be done by 6.

I know how you feel. I didn’t bring my rain jacket…no jacket at all.

This week in Yilan every single day was:

Morning: Sunny, hot, mostly blue sky
Noon: Mostly sunny, extremely hot
Afternoon: cloudy, hot
Late afternoon: black clouds everywhere (no rain, though)

Wind has always been very constant as well.

Looks like from tomorrow it may start raining, which is not too bad as it may lower the temperature a bit. it sucks that it may start during the weekend, but I’m going to have a cycling trip even if it starts raining.

And just like that, the rain stopped and the sun came out (sort of). Thank you, weather gods!

Told you.

All about the baculum, baby.

I guess they don’t call it a “divining rod” for nothing. :wink:

To be honest, i’d just gone to bed when there was a burst of rain, and there was plenty of thunder and lightning around, and i thought, ‘fuck it, i better get up and clean out the roof drains’ (which sounds ridiculous but i do rely on rain for my water supply) and naturally it stopped as soon as i did that.

However, as short as it was, it was the kind of rain with a bit of ;oomph’ in it and i’d say we’re a good chance again tonight. A bit of decent cloud movement coming in from the south which is always promising, and that ‘feeling in the air’!

Radar suggests some serious rain in Hualien right now

Btw, what are your waterfalls of interest? Or is that a trade secret?

Rain is cranking up in Taidong.

CWB has actually just lowered its POP from 40-30%, which is weird considering it’s been raining heavily for the last hour. And the radar looks like this:

[quote=“TaidongCouncil, post:214, topic:158028, full:true”]

Btw, what are your waterfalls of interest? Or is that a trade secret?

Stayed at this place in Ruisui: http://www.goodfriend.tw/yellowpage/index.html

I would call the owner up. He is extremely nice.
Basically just drives his own van with guests (at that time, a total of 4 guests) about 15-20 minutes west of the train station in a secluded area to where you start walking up the river stream. He also helps guests register with the river raft trip company and drives them to where the river raft trip gets started (run by that big organization).

Noice

The rain we had that night was torrential, but isolated to the coast - so if you’ve got any spots there…

Strong wind is pretty common here but today was strange coz first it was blowing from the south then it switched 180 degrees to the north. Feels like the last battle of the monsoon winds

Heard that the meiyu was supposed to start today but couldn’t see anything in the charts to support that - Saturday seems more likely - then it looks like it will crank up for several days

Today in Yilan we’ve had scorching hot sun and rain at the same time. The mightiest of all middle fingers.
Luckily all the shaved ice stores have opened few weeks ago, so there’s no lack of refreshments.

Great, rain this weekend. I was hoping for some cycling weather.

Big rain expected, especially during the weekend. Prepare accordingly.

Plenty of indoor exercise activities, if you know what I mean.