The Taiwan Weather Thread 2017

As this weekend is a holiday -Mother’s Day- and everyone will be traveling South, there is going to be an epic rainstorm up North. Prepare accordingly.

Starting Friday night -just for traffic’s sake- and on till… Tuesday.

If it lowers the temperature a little, I say bring it on! It’s gonna be frikkin 35 degrees in Taipei tomorrow…

If it helps us escape the muggy vapors floating around… maybe, but really unlikely to be much of a relief.

Hey, it’s muggy either way. At least some rain will bring the temp down a few degrees and wash some of that particulate crap out of the sky…better in the storm drains than in my tender pink lungs.

2 Likes

Morning: scorching hot in Yilan

I went to Taipei around lunch: extremely hot and humid

Come back to Yilan around 4.30/5: huge storm

And of course I was wearing just a cotton t-shirt. 30 minutes on the bycycle. I got so wet. Feelsbadman.

Dulan was beautiful today. A little hot but not unreasonable.

I hate Taipei weather. Run from it as much as possible.

1 Like

Looks ominous on the radar - in fact it looks like there’s literally a question mark hanging over Taiwan - and seems there are places in Taipei already getting something - what’s it like on the ground?

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/observe/radar/Data/HD_Radar/CV1_3600_201705121730.png

Meanwhile - flying ant alert - if it hasn’t already happened up there

It’s already dumped several times over the course of the afternoon, and now it’s damp and drizzly…a typical Taipei afternoon. Looking forward to getting winged termites caught in my hair, by the way.

Haha, yeah it’s like a Hitchcock movie when it happens - it was last night here but i was all over it like a rash and killed every light in the first few seconds - my dinner guests thought i was overreacting but luckily there was a full moon rising - with lightning - so it was still good

And then they lose their wings and start burrowing toward your scalp (cue music from Psycho shower scene). Never have actually been bitten by one though. All buzz and no bite.

Be grateful it is small winged ants and not roaches! My poor Toto! All covered in them. A true scene from Constantine!

That does sound pretty hellish. Toto must have lots of tasty morsels hiding in his fur…

It was right out of a nightmare. We were walking next to the open sewer when a cloud of roaches covered him and started going for me. I shook them off him and we both ran, I was screaming all the way. Very entertaining for the neighbors.

They have covered that sewer now and it is a bike path now. Poor Toto (RIP) was short haired at the time, puppy cut for summer.

Poor Toto indeed. I’m sure he’s reunited with Dorothy and the Wizard now.

So it looks like the meiyu didn’t really happen as advertised, and i see CWB is forecasting 10% pop for Taipei tomorrow. That’s a bold call, and a big turn-around but it may be right.

The stationary (meiyu) front is now predicted to sink way south - in fact, not sure if i can remember it that far south - still need to see if it happens though

Wunderground is currently forecasting some pretty substantial rain today in Taipei City–58mm. Presumably that’s the big dump down scheduled for tonight/early tomorrow–and not the forecasted afternoon showers?

http://www.wunderground.com/tw/taipei/zmw:00000.12.46696

Guy

Now is predicting 67mm. I don’t really see any dark clouds in the sky though…

Looks like a normal day so far.

Suddenly very, very wet in Danshui - sheets of blowing rain, and getting dark a couple of hours earlier than it should be. (And of course I’ve been home all day and only now do I need to go out to meet someone in town!)

Murphy’s Law as applied to weather in Taiwan.

I am wearing my best sandals as per CWB, the possibility of rain was low… last night’s forecast.