The Taiwan Weather Thread 2017

Yeah , Tommy the climate has shifted in Taiwan even up north the winters just haven’t been that bad the last few years. So we’ve got that small thing to be grateful for.

Great weather today/tonight in Taipei–enjoy it if you can!

About the shift in climate mentioned above: the rain has not gone away; it now seems to appear in more intense downpours, with disastrous consequences for folks living in the mountains. Another challenge for Taiwan as the world shifts around us.

Guy

Yep it’s predicted to be more intense due to higher ocean temperatures…and that seems to be the case.

In other news, forecast for Sunday is 16 degrees.

Well that was kinda my dream at that time, that winter will only be a few months long, preferably one month. But summers being as hot as near 40c is too hot.

We have up to 40c here in the East Bay for near a month in our summer, but we have less moisture, you guys got 100pct moisture and near 40c heat. That is New Delhi level of hot.

Sort of means Taipei is now generally as hot as south Taiwan.
I was just in Hawaii for the first time in decades. They are at the tropic of cancer, which means weather pretty much like south Taiwan. And it was pretty awesome.

Taipei weather just like South Taiwan? That was sort of my ideal then.

Taipei is hotter than down South during the Summer I believe.

It sure the hell feels like it, with all the humidity.

I would take Taipei humidity over Kaohsiung’s UV rays burning you alive.

That’s a good point. I can’t remember the last time I got a sunburn in Taipei.

1 Like

I see a low of 18 degrees. But that will still feel cold after having no lead up to the cooler temps. If we get some sun now and then I’m not at all complaining. (That’s a big “if” though.) Seeing some sun right now out the window at work. I guess it’s obvious I’m waiting to clock out.

We had snow and 3 degrees just 2 years ago, what u smokin"?

A cold snap does not a winter make. I like snow that stays on the ground for more than a few seconds. I’ll celebrate with a good smoke when Da-an “Forest” Park is blanketed with the white stuff. Remember when Taiwan had an actual ski resort?

No I don’t. When was that?!?

Guy

There was a ski slope on Hehuanshan up until the late 80s at least. Not sure when it finally closed due to lack of the white stuff.

Wait…it’s still there, if this website is accurate:

http://www.ski.com.tw/modules/skiresort/detail.php?sk_id=10

1 Like

That website itself says the only ski lift closed in 1980 and there are no facilities on Hehuanshan. It says Hehuanshan is only suitable for playing in the snow. :rofl:

Well, lugging your skis up the side of the mountain is good exercise too…and better make those grass skis.

Wow. Now that is evidence that there has been some kind of climate change. No matter what reason, but if you had enough snow to require skis and now you don’t, there has been a change. If you could run a business that required ski lifts because of the amount of people, there is a loss, an economic impact.

One of my elderly neighbors was telling me that in our hood -built 40 years ago- there were fireflies. Now you have to travel to the mountains. he blames the ACs blasting hot air. Inside the homes you are fresh, outside it is hell.

Well that’s just overall habitat destruction. I get the odd firefly up here in Wuxing Street.

Yep, that too. More cities, more heat islands. Less trees, more floods. Hotter and deader.

The plains in Miaoli used to get morning fogs and even frost, not anymore.