The Taiwan Weather Thread

This late evening (well, tonight) it has cooled down a bit. It feels good, but not right. No, that was another thing…

Taipei is going for a possible record today or tomorrow. The hottest ever October day is 35C (i think) and with two days forecast of 34, it could give that a nudge

Last night the minimum got down to 27.1 - which is only 0.4 degrees below the average maximum for Taipei in Oct!

Allegedly, it will cool down Saturday. Knowing Northern Taiwan’s weather, that means non stop rain on the weekend.

1 Like

Yeah you know it’s going to be like a light switch…take that you fools…Autumn…what Autumn…we are gonna give you the deluge and freezing damp :slight_smile:!

I bet it rains for 10 days straight then it jumps back to summer weather again.

I’ll bet you all of my internetz dollarz.

Hey, at least lingering summer heat means the clear blue skies of summer also stick around, and we don’t need to endure the winter pollution yet!

Oh wait.

We’ve had a similar “summerautumnwinter” season in 2014, I was able to go to the seaside in late November just as I did in August.
Last year was a bit colder and my last seaside trips were in October.

Awful air here in XinBei Shi.

My wife and I are flying to Australia on the weekend to live there. That air pollution website always has my hometown in nice green colours. The weather station nearest our place in Aus is currently reading 10. :deciduous_tree:

The reading for Xinzhuang: 139. :skull_crossbones:

Have a great trip and easy transition. Send pictures of blue skies.

1 Like

Good luck with the move back (says in between sneezing).

1 Like

You too? Actually, no wonder:
達到紅色警戒的區域為,板橋、中壢、平鎮、苗栗、沙鹿、忠明、西屯、大里、彰化、二林、麥寮、嘉義(六腳)、嘉義、新營及台南。

環保署提醒,民眾今天出門一定要佩戴口罩且減少戶外活動的機會,有心臟、呼吸道及心血管疾病的成人與孩童,應減少體力消耗,特別是減少戶外活動;老年人應減少體力消耗。

Red alert in 15 districts or areas. From Banciao to Zhongli, Miaoli, Changhua, Jiayi, Tainan…

Going outside NOT recommended for people with asthma, heart problems, etc. Wear facial masks -just for Halloween! And don’t exercise outside.

Not awesome. :confounded:

At least you guys on the east coast are doing alright.

Situation normal in southern Australasia. :koala:

Nice website, but there are no measuring stations in Central America. Between the active volcanoes and the decades old/obsolete technology both in transportation and manufacturing, I expect it to be pretty bad. :sob:

Yeah-no, good luck mate

You can swap typhoon season for bushfire season - keep us posted - it’s all connected - there’s a reason they call it global warming

Still waiting to plant the winter crop here - this weather is sudden death for seedlings. Used to be the end of Sep you could plant, now …

Ponts to CWB for issuing a wind warning - before it happens. Supposedly a big ne monsoon blowing through tomorrow - time to stow that accumulation of random objects on the porch for anyone living on the east coast

1 Like

Cheers. Yeah there was widespread flooding across South Australia just a couple of weeks ago and this year they’ve had much higher than average rainfall. Although the long term prediction for climate change there is for less rain, not more, this may well be part of the increased variability. Could be a scary bushfire season with all the growth happening this spring.

I think I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread that my mum diligently checks her rain gauge and records it all in a little book. Maybe I’ll take a picture of the rain gauge and drop back in to post it here. :smile_cat:

1 Like

Decent monsoon storm rolling through Taidong right now after day of big winds. Has crept down from the north - Ilan of course got the brunt of it - 200 mil in SuAo

Big temp drop off in the north today and we may be finally seeing a seasonal gear shift

Pull out a light jacket, maybe a long sleeve, says Auntie Cautious.

Taipei, Oct. 31 (CNA) Temperatures could plunge to below 20 degrees Celsius in northern and northeastern Taiwan this week as seasonal northeasterly winds bring a new wave of cold air to the island, the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) forecast on Monday.

a new wave of cold air will move into Taiwan late Monday and turn the weather cooler again, the bureau said, predicting that the mercury could drop to below 20 degrees during night time and early morning from Tuesday to Thursday.

As northeasterly winds pick up, there will also be occasional showers around Taiwan from Monday night to Thursday, the bureau forecast.

This Sunday I had to work on the mountains in Datong, I should have brought a swimming suit with me -_-
Today in Yilan was not too bad, though.

Possible new typhoon forming - though looks like it will stay south of us. The sky did clear up this morning, which made me wonder if something was around.

I was in Hualien for the Taiwan KOM Challenge and it was perfect perfect weather from Hualien all the way to Wuling Peak. Could barely see a cloud under 1500m elevation.

We started rolling down towards Puli at around 2PM and things just got worse and worse. By the time we got to Taipei, we could see the smog blowing under the street lights.

Glad the pollution didn’t stay for the weekend.

Weather looks decent for the coming week. Temps dropping and low chance of rain. Incoming smog?