The United States Has Attacked ISIS

I see the Brits are going in. If only those wankers in Parliament had given Cameron the permission he had wanted two years ago, they could have spent the last 27 months attacking the evil Syrian government of Hassan Assad, and supporting the brave Sunni Syrian rebels.

Oh, just a minute- they’re going in to bomb the evil Sunni Syrian rebels who are trying to overthrow the government of our gallant Syrian ally, Hassan Assad.

What would have been the message to the RAF if the vote had gone the proper way? “Ooops, sorry chaps, bit of a cock-up on the targetting front. The ones we’ve been trying to blow to Hell the last two years- well, starting tomorrow they’re now our dear friends, so start blowing up the fellows on the other side.”

How about Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we blow up the forces of the evil dictator Hassan Assad, and on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday we blow up the evil rebels fighting the legitimate President of Syria, Hassan Assad.

[quote=“rowland”][quote=“Charlie Phillips”]Frack the boots. Send in the bots: and the drones.

Swarms of drones.
[/quote]

They may be soulless killing machines but they’re OUR soulless killing machines.[/quote]

I’m also wondering why this hasn’t been done yet, bombing from above is not really effective. Run drones and robots
Through the towns and root out the terrorists. In the end you are killing them anyway but at least you’re not bombing the shit out civilians too. Or killing less civilians at least.

Surround the fuckers in Mosul and Raqqa, squeeze the perimeter tighter and tighter. Day by day.
Then start sending in drones and robotic vehicles 24/7.
Finally give them an ultimatum to get the civilians to leave. Each of their major centers of power should now be sealed off from each other and squeezed.

Any westerners caught trying to get into ISIS territory, lock em up good and tag the fuckers for the next 20 years or more.
Or better tag them, then let them in and bomb em to bits. They made their choice.

This is a war atrocity sometimes, depending which way the winds of public opinion are blowing at the time. (Anyone who can’t see the difference between morality and sentiment is doomed to nihilism.) Il Douche can get away with it because he doesn’t have to run again. But don’t count on him going against all the bad guys when he insists on believing there are good guys to be found in those parts.

Ever since Tojo the distinction between civilian and combatant has been a bit unclear. If the US gets invaded, it will vanish entirely. Al that will matter is whether you have a rifle or not.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]
I’m also wondering why this hasn’t been done yet, bombing from above is not really effective. Run drones and robots
Through the towns and root out the terrorists. In the end you are killing them anyway but at least you’re not bombing the shit out civilians too. Or killing less civilians at least.[/quote]

Right. Just send in the new Terminator T1000 series- guaranteed to work.

20-30,000 Western troops minimum just to isolate them- if you get permission from the Iraqi government to go to Mosul.

Where the fuck do these fantasies of thousands of robotic fighting vehicles come from? I see rowland gets his from Hollywood, but Google can’t even pilot a driverless car on a suburban street.

washingtonpost.com/news/mon … stone-age/

As far as I can see they just need to be isolated in their urban centers, easy enough since much of that land is desert. Then squeeze over time.
Doesn’t need American troops, just air support and militia. But I still think it’s a no brainer that robots and drones will take over warfare much sooner than people think. That’s happening ALREADY, so why not fly in some smaller drones and just blow them up directly.

How’s your buggy whip business doing?

Progressives hallucinate the future, reactionaries fight the future, visionaries create the future.

I am sensing that the plan to keep 30,000 to 35,000 troops in Iraq long term might not have been the worst idea. In fact, it may very well, no guarantees, have prevented the political meltdown in Iraq that caused all of this to happen. No doubt though… many will believe that it would have been better to let the “secular” Saddam remain in power? Who knows? Maybe he would have invaded Syria next…

A falling out between pan-Arabists? That would have been a blood-Ba’ath.

Sadden wouldn’t have lasted a whole lot longer, Arab Spring and all that. Result would very possibly
have been similar to what we see now. Would be hard to be worse though!

Rowland:

Isis what you did there.

Good point. When you’re trapped in a quagmire the worst thing you can do is struggle to get out.

Speaking of Saddam I thought the next thing on his agenda was a sneak attack on New York City with weapons of mass destruction – or did I just dream the whole thing?

I think that it was one of your inner voices talking to you.

[quote]
Sadden wouldn’t have lasted a whole lot longer, Arab Spring and all that. Result would very possibly
have been similar to what we see now. Would be hard to be worse though![/quote]

I think that the overthrow of Saddam and three very successful elections probably did a lot to send a message that even Arabs can vote.

As usual, the American far right are the terrorists’ best friends.

Why we’re going the wrong thing regarding ISIS:

[quote=“fred smith”][quote]
have been similar to what we see now. Would be hard to be worse though![/quote]

I think that the overthrow of Saddam and three very successful elections probably did a lot to send a message that even Arabs can vote.[/quote]

Can’t argue with success. Even I’m forced to admit now that the quagmire worked. Bonus points for realizing finally that that whole weapons of mass destruction nightmare was just a figment of my imagination.

Not a figment of your imagination, but rather a symptom of your paranoia.

So why did George Bush sign an agreement that all American troops would be out of Iraq by 2011? Oh, right, the Iraqi government demanded it. Now, I suppose the US could have gone to war with both the Sunnis and the Shi’ites in Iraq…

[quote=“rowland”][quote=“MikeN”]
Where the fuck do these fantasies of thousands of robotic fighting vehicles come from? I see rowland gets his from Hollywood, but Google can’t even pilot a driverless car on a suburban street.
[/quote]

Progressives hallucinate the future, reactionaries fight the future, visionaries create the future.[/quote]

Absolutely- that’s why a visionary like Hitler won the war with his wonder weapons of the future. I mean he would have, if he could have convinced the Allies to hold back for twenty years or so. Just like all you have to do is convince ISIS to chill out for a couple of decades until until the Terminators are ready.

[quote=“MikeN”][quote=“rowland”][quote=“MikeN”]
[/quote]

Progressives hallucinate the future, reactionaries fight the future, visionaries create the future.[/quote]

Absolutely- that’s why a visionary like Hitler won the war with his wonder weapons of the future. I mean he would have, if he could have convinced the Allies to hold back for twenty years or so. Just like all you have to do is convince ISIS to chill out for a couple of decades until until the Terminators are ready.[/quote]

Hands free drone warfare could work. Think of the possibilities, especially once the technology really took off.

As somebody once said, “You go to war with the army you have, not the army you watch on SyFy Channel”.