Theism/atheism debates

[quote]How on earth has a thread on communicating with god, religious brain circuits, super beings and their worldly concerns, or finding moral values in anarchic nature gotten so weird?
[/quote]
:laughing: Religious threads tend to do that.

I bought the book that was mentioned. Personally, not overly impressed. I find myself skating over whole paragraphs of hand-waving of the sort BrentGolf dismisses as pseudoscientific. And he’s right. The authors conveniently mark these out by starting with ‘we believe that’, ‘we suspect that’, ‘it seems likely that’, etc etc. I’ve got nothing against hand-waving per se, but it’s frustrating to see so little experimental data and so much opinion. Science isn’t about what seems likely. It’s about what fits the facts, and hasn’t been disproved by experiment.

Making things worse is that the authors don’t seem to be very good at actual experimental design. For example, early on they describe making people meditate for 12 minutes a day, giving them memory/cognitive skill tests before and after. Since the results ‘after’ are better, they conclude that it’s the meditation what done it. Unfortunately they had no control group. They should have had another group of people sitting quietly for 12 minutes, or perhaps going for a walk around the block; something other than meditation. Ideally, they should have had a third group of people who did exactly what they normally did, with all other aspects of the experimental protocol in place (tests, consultation with the experimenters, etc). The point of group A is to find out how important the meditative movements/sounds are to the effectiveness of the ritual, and the point of group B is to control for the well-known effect whereby people always improve their results simply because they’re part of an experiment.

On the questionnaire experiment, where they are gauging religious attitudes, I wanted to scrawl “conclusions not supported by data” all over their research paper. They say:

“I wanted to know how tolerant people were when they encountered individuals with different religious beliefs … we discovered that nearly 30% of those queried had difficulty accepting others who held different religious beliefs. In fact more people were willing to marry someone of a different race than someone with a different religious orientation”.

They then quote the actual questions.

Are other religions correct, even though they differ from my own?
Would you marry someone outside your religion or spiritual belief system?
Would you marry someone who does not share your racial or ethnic heritage?

The first problem here is that the possible options are “definitely agree”, “tend to agree”, “tend to disagree”, “definitely disagree”. One slap on the wrist for the fact that answer categories do not make sense in the context even of these three questions (never mind the other however-many). Questionnaire design is incredibly hard, and this is just pure sloppiness.

Second problem is that, if someone accepts a specific religious doctrine, then by definition those doctrines which are in conflict with it cannot be “correct”. A monotheist could not truthfully say that a polytheistic religion is also correct. However, this is not the same thing as accepting the person who holds those conflicting beliefs as a human being deserving of respect, fair treatment, etc. Similarly, just because you would choose not to hitch your wagon to someone you know has a radically different outlook on life doesn’t mean you’d give them an impromptu lecture about the fires of hell.

I had to switch off at this point to do some deep breathing exercises and let my sphincter unclench.

Which book?

um … the one you reviewed? :smiley:

“How God Changes your Brain”.

Have I bought the wrong one…?

[quote=“finley”]um … the one you reviewed? :smiley:

“How God Changes your Brain”.

Have I bought the wrong one…?[/quote]

This is the book I was talking about:
cambridge.org/ca/academic/su … ?format=PB

Amazon.com has it for rental as an ebook.

oops :blush:

I thought you were referring to the one in the newspaper article.

[quote=“finley”]oops :blush:

I thought you were referring to the one in the newspaper article.[/quote]

Oh sorry. No, I just followed the quote you gave and found the author of that, Patrick McNamara.

ha … I just went back and had a look at the original post. Can’t even follow my own links. :doh:

Plus you never check your pm inbox. :wink:

Last time I’m saying it. If you don’t know that the standard view of 99% of scientists is scientific materialism, meaning that mind is an emergent property of the brain, meaning that mind as an actual subject experience (qualia) is 100% an unequivocal illusion, then you just don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m sorry, keep studying, you will eventually run into this extremely standard non-controversial obvious point.

I throw out names like Dennett Searle the Churchlands etc because they are leading authorities on this subject matter. If you want to have a rational discussion on this topic yet contradict and belittle them you are on shaky ground. And stop repeating this notion that “scientists don’t agree on these highly theoretical questions”. It has been the standard view for a long time. There is NOT EVEN SLIGHT CONTROVERSY THAT MIND IS AN ILLUSION. And there is no point bringing in quantum physics to back up your claim. Try to find a neuroscientist that does not assert mind as an emergent property. That would actually mean something.

The only one is Chalmers and everyone ridicules him.

OK lets see if that’s true. Does making a moral judgement depend on actual subject experience, or is subject experience merely an illusion?

Talk to anyone majoring in neuroscience, they will all give the same answer. What’s your answer? And how do you think they will answer it?

1 week in absorption is a relatively simple attainment. Being able to remain on your chosen object through the use of concentration to the point that your flesh burning does not interrupt you is still yet a lower level of concentration. So if that vietnamese monk could remain on his object while burning, how in the f*** is a “skeptic” going to harm anything in any way.

[quote=“triceratopses”]
Last time I’m saying it. If you don’t know that the standard view of 99% of scientists is scientific materialism, meaning that mind is an emergent property of the brain, meaning that mind as an actual subject experience (qualia) is 100% an unequivocal illusion, then you just don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m sorry, keep studying, you will eventually run into this extremely standard non-controversial obvious point.[/quote]

Is that a promise? Anyway, errr yes, so what?

Early on you said:

Essentially, this is my point: this does not follow from your statement above.

In another post, you said:

I have pointed out that there is dispute about this statement–which has nothing to do with what you state in the topmost quote–among scientists, and that it is a highly theoretical question with little application to our daily reality, even if true. You’re going back and forth among these wildly different concepts. Trying to talk to you about this is like watching a tennis match. I only made the last mention of Dennett (who indeed has a great many interesting things to say) because as a philosopher he would not seem to be qualified to comment authoritatively on that question.

[quote]OK lets see if that’s true. Does making a moral judgement depend on actual subject experience, or is subject experience merely an illusion?

Talk to anyone majoring in neuroscience, they will all give the same answer. What’s your answer? And how do you think they will answer it?[/quote]

It doesn’t matter. We are in fact capable of making moral judgments, which is all I said. Are you denying that we are capable of making moral judgments?

First, let’s be honest there’s no way that’s the last time you’ll say it. Secondly, nobody in this thread has denied basic materialism. I’m not sure why you are arguing with yourself. If you re-read the thread you’ll quickly realize that you’ve just made a simple mistake in interpreting what was said. No harm no foul, happens sometimes on chat forums. But nobody here is disputing anything that 99% of scientists believe. Some things go without saying…

It also strikes me as odd that you’re trying to claim other people are not scientific, yet you believe without question it’s possible to go months without eating, drinking, and breathing. It seems there’s a little bit of a disconnect somewhere here…

or as Sam Harris has said, playing tennis without the net. :slight_smile:

Er, the tennis quote is from Robert Frost. Otherwise, yep.

was not aware of the original quote, but Harris delivered it perfectly so I say it’s his :slight_smile:

It’s just not in any way interesting. It’s like saying ‘frogs don’t make umbrellas’. The only response is ‘And?’

[quote]

1 week in absorption is a relatively simple attainment. Being able to remain on your chosen object through the use of concentration to the point that your flesh burning does not interrupt you is still yet a lower level of concentration. So if that vietnamese monk could remain on his object while burning, how in the f*** is a “skeptic” going to harm anything in any way.[/quote]

Because that’s one of the standard excuses when these people fail to achieve their claims- even Jesus used it- or, more usually, for declining to submit their claims to scrutiny.

No one is saying people can’t train themselves to ignore pain; the question is can they do what is by normal scientific standards physiologically impossible things like go for weeks without drinking - the maximum length is considered to be about two weeks in ideal conditions (healthy individual, no movement, damp cool surroundings).

Breathing, five minutes or so for normal conditions; up to an hour or more in hypothermia; 22 minutes by preparing by hyerventilating in pure oxygen.

A month? When and where have these amazing feats been demonstrated, and if not, why not?

Essentially, this is my point: this does not follow from your statement above.[/quote]

I already gave the reasoning several times. For the 10th time, it follows logically: if there are no qualia, as materialists assert, then any qualia (subjective experience) of well-being and any child’s qualia of horror and pain are exactly equal. Equally non-existent.

All there are are particles, in one scenario there are certain chemicals causing muscles to relax inflammation to subside etcetc. In the other there are pain signals causing limbs to flail a mouth to scream and sweat to exude through the skin as the adrenal system goes crazy. And that’s all. There are just physical structures and their physical mechanations, there are no “moral physical structures” “bad structures” “good structures” another poster also told you this.

Didn’t say belief anywhere. The absorption for a week meaning no eating and drinking for a week, very easy. Would take less than a year of training if a person isn’t a complete douche. Not breathing for a year, I’m neutral about it, but I wouldn’t be even slightly surprised since I know what happens to the breath heart etc during perfect concentration.

What makes me neutral is not the biology. I don’t think modern science has a fu**ing clue about biology aside from the very coarse. I’m neutral about it because I can’t conceive of such level of concentration. I think as tech improves and brain and body imaging becomes far more sophisticated we can start seeing new things and new states that aren’t known or common. For example it wasn’t until recently that fats could be detected in plants, because it’s so minute, and we didn’t have the tech sophisticated enough to detect it. Stuff like that.

Must be a stroke of luck that sustained concentration is easily detectable in brain imaging, otherwise even that which is considered superhuman by neuroscientists yet is considered as very basic by authentic meditators (most are bs hoaxers) would still be unknown and inaccessible.

Excuses? Maybe they’re telling the truth. The only thing you can do is receive their reasoning and try to establish whether the reasoning is logically coherent or not. Whether it is simple or complex. Whether it has a long history or not, whether has been maintained or not generation to generation. If they don’t want to submit themselves to testing, then that only means your total method of verification is limited.

What usually screws secularists is severe bias where they mistakenly deny parts of other’s reasoning out of prejudice.

Bias NEVER serves you and the extreme arrogance of modern establishments have really forgotten that. That might be one of your answers. Another is that the west thinks they’re so good. How many classics has the western lineage written in history? Like 5000, I can’t remember exactly. India and everywhere near the north of it have written like 100,000s. 100,000s on the magnitude of Shakespeare. 50000 Socrateses and Shakespeareses running around. You’re not that cool. You killed Socrates then went on a raping killing rampage across the world.

I recall a large gathering between bunch of prominent scientists Neil Tyson was there Dawkins Krauss etc and Harris got up and started talking about how rebirth might actually be possible if it turns out mind (qualia) is primary, just as form cannot be destroyed, compounded states of mind ie. human minds subside into subtler states before becoming compounded again due to causes and conditions (one of which was the previous human life). Neil made lots of fun of him, and the others you can see looked a little embarrassed though they listened to the reasoning and evidence

Thanks for outlining this again. I will disagree again that it follows logically. Our minds are finely honed tools for perceiving what exists in reality. Not all states in reality are equal, and our minds are capable of differentiating between them, including the states of other animals and humans.

Those physical reactions result from different states of reality which have various effects on the well-being of ourselves and others and which our minds are capable of assessing. Through these assessments we can make judgments about moral questions based on objective criteria. Nothing has to be intrinsically good or bad in a cosmic sense for this to be true, and nothing about this conflicts with materialism.

Just because you didn’t say the actual word belief doesn’t mean you haven’t very clearly represented one. You said it’s not even the slightest bit controversial, and you wouldn’t be the slightest bit surprised, and you’re “neutral” about not breathing for a year. Also, anybody who disagrees with your clearly represented belief on these things not only gets debated, but actually gets called an idiot. That looks to me like a pretty straight to the point belief that you aggressively defend.

If I say the existence of unicorns isn’t even the slightest bit controversial, and I wouldn’t be even slightly surprised to see one, and I’m neutral on whether they can read our minds, that kinda sorta sounds like I believe in unicorns does it not? :loco:

So call me an idiot if you like, but I’m the furthest thing from neutral on the idea that a human can go without breathing for a year. I’m sure you’ve heard this before, a claim that extraordinary that so overtly trespasses on everything we know about the human body should require some pretty extraordinary evidence. Since there is none I agree with you, it’s not even the slightest bit controversial.

Dude I haven’t gone on a raping and killing rampage in years :unamused: