Threatened by a drug dealer

I met a nice chick at a bar one night, we hit it off and took her home. Continued to sart seeing her from time to time.

Long story short, she has a gangster boyfriend (go figure) who SOMEHOW figured out where I live. I don’t know if she told him, he followed her, or whatever.

Now this guy has said he was going to beat me up etc etc but didn’t do so I figure he’s full of hot air.

But I got a text from the girl this morning, she sent me a warning. She said the guy is going to send a packet of drugs to my house, then call and alert the cops. Basically that he is going to set me up so I get arrested sent to jail.

I’m seriously freaked out right now, not sure what to do. Do I call the police first and tell them there is a packet of drugs coming to my house???That sounds kind of stupid too…I don’t know this guys’ information, his name anything that I can give them.

Is it actually possible to get in trouble this way? I mean, surely I can’t be held responsible for what someone sends me in the post right? But this is Taiwan we’re talking about and I know how crazy they are about drugs here…

2 posts were split to a new topic: from Threatened

Show them the text massage, they can track it.

3 Likes

He didn’t send the text, she did, just letting me know what he was talking about doing.

Seriously, does anyone know how much danger I’m in here? Can I really go to jail for this?

It sounds to me like you got yourself an honest-to-goodness psycho xiaojie.

As Andrew said, if he hasn’t already sent the boys round, he’s probably not an actual gangster, and if he is, he isn’t going to waste money sending you drugs. If he does, just MOD EDIT: destroy it. Problem solved. :slight_smile: How the hell does he even intend to synchronize the post delivery with the police knocking on the door? TBH, he’s probably just a tai ke who thinks he’s a bit clever.

If you’re really worried, make a police report and show them the text (as BP said). They’ll probably have a good laugh about the naive foreigner and accidentally ‘lose’ the report, but doing this will give you some measure of legal backup if it all turns to shit.

Oh, and dump the girl.

They track her and ask her what it’s all about and who is threatening you and why.

I hate to ruin a party, but that’s not what the Legal forum is for. Let’s try to make useful, respectable suggestions. :slight_smile:

Did her text merely say he told her his plan, or did it say he texted her his plan? If there’s a text sent from his phone about this, even if you don’t have access to it yourself, at least you have an angle.

If you talk to her again, you know what to do with the conversation, right? :spy:

wow thats pretty bad. did she tell you she had a boyfriend? why are you still talking to her anyway, sounds like a piece of work herself.

I’ve been with some crazy chicks in my time, but your’s takes the cake. Careful who you have one night stands with, my friend.

Duh…if you are really worried about what might happen…MOVE dude!
I’m sure that’s the first thing the police will say…
Also, I guess you now know why they have “love hotels”

Move? Seriously? That’s pretty extreme. And not likely to be fast enough if the guy really goes through with this.

I tried taking the advice regarding getting more info from the girl but she’s not responding now. Either she must be scared, or the guy took control of her phone or something to stop her talking to me.

Yeah it would be really great if anyone who knew anything about Taiwanese law could chime in here.

I know for a fact that this would not work back in the US, and certainly it is highly unreasonable for a scheme like this to have the potential to get anyone into real trouble; however with this being Taiwan, the extra harsh view on drugs, and me being a foreigner, I am not necessarily confident just assuming that I am dealing with a reasonable legal system here.

I’m thinking I should notify the police of the threat either way, at least I’ll be on record about it before anything happens that would have to count for something…

Still, anyone who knows actually about the legal issues here it would be nice.

Dude, don’t accept the package. The police aren’t stupid. If, on the extreme off chance, this guy follows through on his threat and then on the next off chance, it’s reported by the post office a basic investigation would show someone is trying to set you up if you cooperate with authorities and let them know you have nothing to do with this psycho. Otherwise people would get framed here all the time. This isn’t Thailand in the 1970’s. Stuff like this doesn’t happen here, at least not that easily. Here’s a thought; how did this nutcase get your address in the first place? Oh yeah, the woman you’ve repeatedly let into your house told him. Block her number, her line, whatever, and learn your lesson; don’t stick your :banana: in crazy again. Obviously not worth the stress, right?

[edited to remove profanity]

2 Likes

^
that. she told the guy, and you are still chatting to her? you should of blocked her off when you first found this stuff out. continuing to talk to her while you know she has a crazy bf is not the best idea. i would say cutting her off completely would reduce some of the damage.

Yep. Here’s another thought; has he even met this guy? His post just says “she told me he said” and “she sent me a text warning me that…”, etc. For all he knows and we know, there might not be another man and this chick could be playing some extreme mind-game with him for attention.

So basically she’s one of two things; crazy or super crazy.

Don’t sign for any packages. If unkown packages arrive, return to post office.

Good idea, but it could also come in an envelope, and you can’t refuse envelopes unless you watch your mailbox 24/7.

I don’t know much about criminal law, but I can suggest scheduling a consultation at the Legal Aid Foundation. If you’re in Taipei you can also go to City Hall to talk to a lawyer there (ground floor). You’re supposed to make an appointment, but when they’re not busy they accept walk-ins. Bring an interpreter if you need one (and actually that goes for the LAF too, even when they say they have English speaking lawyers).

I think it wouldn’t hurt to talk to the police, assuming the other texts they might see from your love interest aren’t too upsetting to them.

Is your apartment easy to break into? Ground floor, no bars on the windows? For all you know, Mr. Dealer could be more psycho than Ms. Xiaojie. Probably not, but try to err on the side of caution. :2cents:

I’m not sure how it works in Taiwan, but in the US you have to sign for something to be prosecuted.

1 Like