Three Advantages China Has Over Taiwan

Those are the kinds of word problems we did all the time in high school. I’m pretty sure I could still tackle the problem, but you’d need to tell me how big your hole is. Although I’m sure we can all make an assumption as to how big it is. :wink:

Sort of back on topic, I work in Yonghe and live just outside it, and in my opinion it’s not really any more crowded than the crowded parts of Taipei. The main difference is there’s just very little area devoted to parks, so nearly every part of Yonghe is like the most crowded part of Taipei.

That was like the whole final for some class I had in high school, yeah.
IIRC we were allowed to use any reasonable figure for the hole as long as the math stood up.

And you probably know as much about my hole as anyone here.

Xinyi (6th most populous district in Taipei City) is listed as 20,000/sq km, but the idea that it’s (practically) half as crowded as Yonghe seems mental.

FWIW the county where I spent most of my youth is listed as 1.7/sq km.
And they ask why I get grumpy on the MRT.

I thought mainland 城中村 tended to arise from historic villages being swallowed up by urban sprawl (not that shantytowns for migrants don’t also exist, though).

Kind of. In shenzhen what happened was farms were bought off the farmers, for high rises. Then the farmers used that money to build unplanned walk up buildings about 6 to 10 stories high at very high density on the site of their previous home in the village. They then rented these buildings to migrant workers.

This video shows the kind of space pretty well https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu43GtJ5kBg. In shenzhen about half of the population lives in these villages. The other half in the planned buildings. Those villages have no schools, no real healthcare, no real policing, bad swerage problems etc. The buildings officially are not there and neither are the inhabitants.

do these density measurements take verticle space into consideration or is it just space taken on the ground? hong kong seems hard to beat in this regard.

I still find this article to be ridiculous. I can see why someone with no knowledge of history and Chinese culture would think these things.

When you talk about Chinese culture, it’s 4000-5000 years of history we are talking about. Like what is he talking about in terms of culture. China was ruled by so many dynasties of different ethnicity of people. I feel like the person views Chinese culture as a very stereotypical western point of view like everyone is wearing a Qing dynasty queue pony thing and drinking tea. Like that’s like a tiny part of Chinese culture or really manchurian culture.
And where was he in China that he thinks China is less crowded. Like I studied there in 3 different provinces. Beijing and Chengdu in scichuan were both crowed a f. Like try going to the hospital or any building. There are no lines you just push your way to any window for service and fight your way into the elevator from people going in and out at the same time.

China has more urban planning? Maybe on the main roads. You literally take one ally way down the main road and it’s a 3rd world country in any major city there. I literally find this article bs.

My thoughts exactly. Last time I went to China I had to que for four hours to buy a train ticket.

I’m surprise there was even a que. it’s usually just a bunch of people huddled together in a pack shoving their way through the line.

I found they have orderly queues in Shanghai train stations.

But when you get to the front it’s like a scrum at a football match! You can’t use the machines to buy a ticket if you are a foreigner, you have to queue up and show your passport. PAin in the arse.
Then the fun starts again going into the station concourse, going through security, getting on the train, getting off the train, queuing for a taxi, dealing with the taxi drivers, dealing with the traffic.

Oh yeah baby. To be fair it’s probably as good as you get in a lot of western countries. It’s just Taiwan is SO MUCH EASIER.

1 Like

yea its brutal. when i was living there i kind of adapted and didn’t let anyone push passed me or put my bag in the way to block people ect. last time i went i just didn’t have to energy to keep up with such childish behaviour and let them get on with it… getting off the metro is particularly retarded. in taipei all you need to do is start making your way towards the door and people will let you get off the train. in china you basically need to shove the idiots out of the way or you ain’t getting off.

1 Like

Yea, ha ha. Also I love the way the article touts chengguan as a good thing. Paid bullies hated by the general population who go around generally smashing things up is an advantage over Taiwan? Might as well tout extra judicial detentions, liberal application of the death penalty, and organ harvesting too.