TLI or NKNU in Kaohsiung school review?

Hello, i am interested in learning chinese in kaohsiung. I’ve taken a year of chinese at university and done years and years Of language exchanges so i think I’m at intermediate level. I can understand simple conversations but my reading and writing is limited.

I have found tli and shi da to be the closest schools to the mrt station. I wonder if

1. anyone has recent experience at either school?
  2. Are there other schools that are also assesible on the mrt line?
  3. From my research, it seems like there are only 3 levels of classes (beginner, intermediate and advanced).

Thks in advance

1:1 lessons at TLI because you are the customer in control. TLI will try to keep you coming back. Shida customer service is ISO 9000 certified terrible. I attended both. At TLI, you can teach English for bad pay but it is easier than teaching small kids

Thanks for your reply, i am interested in group classes. Have you heard if those are good at tli?

Guys she is talking about learning Chinese in KAOHSIUNG. Options are a bit more limited there.

There is TLI in Kaohsiung.

Second best choice in Kaohsiung is Sun Yat Sen University.

OP, are you going to travel from all the way to Shida in Taipei? Absolutely NOT worth it.

Here is my limited review of shi da in kiaosiung.
The language center is located in the activity centre at shi da campus. The facility is a bit run down (avoid the toilets!) And the classrooms small and not well sound proofed (you can hear the construction outside). The placement test consists of an interview and reading out loud from their text. I suggest taking a long look at their texts as they placed me at the wrong level. I think they should have a real test plus interview instead. They have a strict attendance policy; if you miss x amount of hours you don’t get a certificate. Also if you are late handing in anything due to any circumstances you get marks docked.
Classes are 9am to 12 pm or 130pm to 430pm.
There is any option to do a language exchange from 130pm to 330pm.
There are 4 semesters
I am currently in the fall semester, Aug 28 to nov 11.
There are 3 beginner levels, 2 intermediate , 2 advanced levels.
I really like my teacher, she is patient, teaches well and excited about teaching. There is a good mix of conversation, grammar and vocab.
I also like the text and work book. I met someone who self studied from the books all the way to the fourth book.
There is a school trip every semester. We just went to chia yi. It was fun and included in our tuition.

All in all I like and recommend this school.

@kitkatkuo

I don’t want to be that guy, but you are talking about Shi Fan University, right?

國立高雄師範大學 (Guólì gāoxióng shīfàn dàxué) National Kaohsiung Normal University.

I do not believe there’s a Shida University in Kaohsiung.

I think you are right. It is accross from the cultural centre. In kiaosiung. Shi fan da xue

Just wanted to make sure others looking up the info get to see your review and not get confused.

:wink:

Ill change the title. Could explain why i never got concrete replies

I do not think the forums allows you to edit the title after 24 hours of your initial post time.

I edited it for you. :wink:

Thanks! I might add to my post as i cont to study here. This also explains why icon asked if its worth it to travel to taipei to shida.

I couldn’t edit this, but I want to make a correction. There are three intermediate levels, not two.
Here is additional info;
There are 10 to 15 students per class,
Tuition is
171 hrs for 23 085 nt.