Toasteria (吐司利亞)

There’s a new place called Toasteria, near Zhongxiao-Dunhua. I went to check it after reading the restaurant reviews column in last Friday’s Taipei Times.

[b]Toasteria serves panini-style grilled cheese sandwiches in 20 different varieties.

Photo: David Chen, Taipei Times
[/b]

It’s a goddamn small place but the toast was GODDAMN delicious. Someone hit the right formula I think…

[ul]Address: Zhongxiao East Road, Section 4, Lane 248, No.2, Taipei City (台北市忠孝東路四段248巷2號)
Telephone: (02) 2731-8004
Open: 11am to 11pm Monday through Thursday; 11am to 2am Friday and Saturday; 11am to 9pm on Sunday
Average meal: NT$140 to NT$250
Details: Chinese and English menus; credit cards not accepted

Tomer hit a home run here. Excellent sandwiches and great staff/service.

The tuna melt (gets an OMG) , Sicilian, Kalifornia chicken, and smoked salmon are all tested and approved by me for what it is worth.

And the prices for the sandwiches are between $75 and $105. The pickles and olives provided with the sandwiches are great.

Plus if you are able to get one of the two tables on the “patio” you will be smiling.

Double plus - they play great music.

For me, probably the best sandwiches I have had in Taipei.

Yes, I was there a few weeks ago, and was very happy with my sandwich, too. I’ll be back.

Is there any indoor (read: air conditioned) seating at this place?
Or is it just grab and go?

No and yes. There are a couple of tiny tables, and there is a bit of a ceiling over your head, but otherwise they are, for all intents and purposes, open to the elements.

[quote]Is there any indoor (read: air conditioned) seating at this place?[/quote] Indoor but not air-conditioned. Your best bet would be internal cooling - i.e. drinking the very reasonably priced beer.

I was up in Taipei for in-law shite and managed to break away for a few hours of solid drinking. A friend took me there on Friday afternoon - the food is fantastic (especially given the low prices), Tomer is a very nice chap, and the place had a nice vibe. If I lived in the area, it would be one of my local hangouts.

It’s next to the Zhongxiao Alleycat’s pizza joint.

Edit: While I was at the Toasteria I also had the pleasure of running into a forumosan I had not met in person, a marsupial posing under the mammalian name of “Fox.”

I’ve been in a couple of times during the construction. Really nice place. Enjoy .

Thanks for posting the new information, but can anyone clearly see the address?

I’m guessing that’s 台北市敦化南路一段167巷3號?
(#3, Lane 167, Dunhua South Road Section 1)

But I’m not too sure of that.

It’s No. 3, Lane 169, Section 1 Dūnhuà South Road, Taipei (台北市敦化南路1段169巷3號)
You can find complete info for all the Toasteria stores here and for the newest store here. :bow:

[color=#FFBF80]If you haven’t been yet, hiedi ho yo![/color]

[color=#0040FF]Open until 3:00 AM and if you are lucky enough to time your visit when Tomer the Owner (nice ring, ya?) is there, please tell him you are from Forumosa. He’ll show you much love, and I’m talking that good Mediterranean kinda love…[/color]
:discodance:

[color=#00BFFF]Mediterranean Sashimi[/color]

Damn that looks good.

It’s an amazing Tapas menu folks. Hottest new tip in town, so get on down.

I am down for some Toasteria, but I will pass on the sodomy.

Toasteria Xinyi next to Din Tai Fang, that’s some damn good food and that’s all I have to say about that.

Well, and good atmosphere.

I was just there on the weekend. The space is nice (especially the bar), but the music is too loud to hold a conversation. The food isn’t bad, but overpriced for what you get. I guess that can’t be avoided given the prime real estate though.

Meh.
That is my review of their sandwiches. Just…meh.
Nothing to write home about.
The bread is just your average Taiwanese nondescript crap bread.
If they improved their sandwich bread, it would help a lot.

This is a given, which is why I generally stick to Asian food (the kinds Taiwanese can do properly, that is).

Try anything but the sandwiches.

That’s a pity.
I tried the place on dunhua a few years ago there was too much cheese in the sandwich pretty bad to be honest.
Their restaurants are nice though.

There’s always a bunch of whiners and cheapskates around these parts aren’t there…too much cheese! too expensive…

Toasteria was/is great for a good fix. Been there many times had a lot of good times there. Especially the old one they had at Shi Da. Those were fun days

Yeah but wasn’t the old one a third of the price or something.

Seriously the sandwich was just a mush of cheese it was pretty horrible. If I’m paying nigh on 300 ntd for a sandwich it should be decent.
Might have been a bad day.
If they make a good salad would try it again.

Nah. Would never trust a simple sammich joint that uses turquoise, rectangular plates and a panini press - twice. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: