Today's Anti-Foreigner coverage in the Taipei Times

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“jlick”]
Apparently, babies born to Vietnamese mother’s aren’t fat enough for local norms. FEAR FEAR FEAR the Vietnamese babies! Apparently they are branching out, now that the mainland Chinese immigrant bashing has been played out.[/quote]

Oh shit! When my daughter was born a couple of months ago she weighed only 2.6kg!

My wife must be a Vietnamese in disguise!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

[/quote]

Well for Christ’s sake,[color=red] CALL THE COPS!!![/color]

Blueface, you might want to offer her the chance to chu hoi just in case:

HG

That makes sense. Both my girls were quite small in stature when born. However, that changed, as soon as they started to eat, and they are now a great deal taller and more sturdily than Taiwanese kids the same age.

The birth weight goes with the mother. I would not like to see my missus giving birth to a 4.5kg baby.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]I’ll wager a pint of Guinness that less than 1% of the resident population of Taiwan is made up of foreigners and mainland brides.
[/quote]

Alright, I’ll take your bet. I seem to remember foreign labourers numbering 670000 or so. You can give me the pint when someone pulls up the stats.

Brian[/quote]

Er, no, Brian. You have to provide the stats ! :wink:

[quote=“hexuan”][quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]I’ll wager a pint of Guinness that less than 1% of the resident population of Taiwan is made up of foreigners and mainland brides.
[/quote]

Alright, I’ll take your bet. I seem to remember foreign labourers numbering 670000 or so. You can give me the pint when someone pulls up the stats.

Brian[/quote]

Er, no, Brian. You have to provide the stats ! :wink:[/quote]

What am I, a statistician now?

Actuary, yes.

HG

Imagine my surprise opening up the front page of The China Post today and seeing the top headline:

(Taipei Times had a similar story but it didn’t make the front page.)

They want us after all! Well some of us at least. If you have certain skills or a shitload of money, the new rules promise to make things easier on you. If you are here in a sham marriage then off with you. Overall though, the government seems to be getting on message a bit more clearly now. Crack down on sham marriages and illegal immigrants, make it easier for professionals and investors.

Under the new rules, professionals and investors can apply more easily for permanent residency. The investment amount required for permanent residency will be specified in future regulations. Interviews of all foreign spouse will required (it sounds like only future applicants but it isn’t clear). Human smugglers will be eligible for a five year sentence and NT$2m fine. In addition, only foreigners who refuse to show ID will be fined. This sounds like you will no longer be fined if you don’t have ID on you.

There’s no permanent residency for foreigners in Taiwan.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
There’s no permanent residency for foreigners in Taiwan.[/quote]

Unless you die and are buried here.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
There’s no permanent residency for foreigners in Taiwan.[/quote]

So would you mind cluing us in on what is not permanent with the APPC?

Sorry mate, but ROC law is very clear that if you die here, your employer must repatriate your body back to your homeland. I’m sure that in certain circumstances that you are correct.

Permanent residency is a misnomer. In certain circumstances yo canloose it quite easily like not being in the country for over 6 months. I’d have t look it up, but when I did I was not impressed.

CYA
Okami

[quote=“Okami”]

Sorry mate, but ROC law is very clear that if you die here, your employer must repatriate your body back to your homeland. I’m sure that in certain circumstances that you are correct.

Permanent residency is a misnomer. In certain circumstances yo canloose it quite easily like not being in the country for over 6 months. I’d have t look it up, but when I did I was not impressed.

CYA
Okami[/quote]

But what if you have permanent residency and an open work permit and you legally have three jobs. Which one has to send you back?

What if you are freelancing and the government can’t even find out which companies you were freelancing for (in order to figure out who has to send your body back) and your work is all in your computer and your computer is passworded so no one can open it and find out who you were working for, and you didn’t have any friends who could tell them who you work for, and the companies you did do freelance work for are too freaked out (being superstitious Taiwanese) and don’t want to admit you worked for them when they were alive because they don’t want the responsibility of shipping you back. Once again, the ROC government has shown itself to be INCREDIBLY inept.

As for the 6 month rule for permanent residency, my “legal advisor” says there are a lot of exceptions, such as going abroad for school, taking care of sick relatives, etc. I am not worried about that.

What I am worried about is the government not letting my ashes being thrown into the Tamsui River, or at least spread around the dancefloor at KISS, where I spent most of my younger years disco dancin’ the night away.

If you are on a job-sponsored ARC, sure. If you are on a joining family ARC or have an APRC, then your employer hasn’t signed anything saying they are responsible for your body.

[quote]
Permanent residency is a misnomer. In certain circumstances yo canloose it quite easily like not being in the country for over 6 months.[/quote]

There are restrictions like this in most countries. In the US you have to be in the country at least once every 6 months or your green card is invalid. If you are gone longer, you need to apply before you leave for permission. You can also lose a green card and be deported by commiting a felony.

In the UK it is 2 years, after which absence you have to show some continuing link to the UK. Upon return to the UK, entering as an Australian abroad for longer than 2 years, I was asked “Are you a returning resident?” Imigration officer looked in a big book, and then said “OK”. Which was nice.

It’s not permanent in that you loose it if you leave Taiwan for more than 6 months in a year. There are exceptions, but they’re just exceptions. You couldn’t decide to take a posting somewhere else for a year, do your masters in Europe, etc. If you did, you’d be back to square one when you came back.

I don’t know much about the US. Is a green card PR or just a long-term work permit.

In NZ you have to stay 6 months in a year, but just for the first two years - after that it really is permanent.

Brian

There are two specific exceptions:

1. Study abroad.
  2. Receiving medical care abroad.

Then there is also a broadly-worded ‘special circumstances’ exception.

So you can definitely get your MA in Europe without losing your status. I think you would have trouble getting clearance for a job posting overseas though.

I agree that the APRC is still not adequate, but it’s a huge improvement over what was available in the past.

Not exactly. There is no black and white rule regarding how long a Permanent Resident Alien can stay outside of the US. A PR Alien can use his greencard to enter the US if he has not been out of the US for longer than one year. If he knows that he will be out of the US for longer than one year, the PR Alien must obtain (while still in the US) a Re-entry Permit, which is good for two years. If a PR Alien is outside of the US on a green card alone for longer than one year, or outside the US on a Re-entry permit for longer than two years, he will need to obtain a Special Immigrant visa to re-enter the US, as neither his greencard nor his Re-entry Permit will be valid for such entry.

Typically, a PR Alien may reside outside of the US without risk of losing his PR status so long as he maintains ties to the US that illustrate his intention to reside permanently in the US. Such ties include, but are not limited to the following:

US bank account
US address
US State driver’s license
Reporting US taxes every year
US credit cards
Family members living in the US

The US is aware that many PR Aliens may need to spend extended periods away from the US. Typically, the US regards the following reasons for PR Aliens to live extended periods outside the US as legitimate and reasonable:

Care for family members abroad
Employment by US company abroad
Accompanying US spouse in employment abroad

The longer a PR Alien stays outside of the US, the more the US will scrutinize a) the Alien’ reasons for living abroad and b) the Alien’s ties with the US.

If the PR Alien’s reasons for living abroad are not “legitimate and reasonable” and his ties with the US are only minimal, over time that PR Alien may lose his PR status.

I am aware that many long term residents in the States don’t bother applying for citizenship. What are the reasons for this ? Is there some onerous condition place upon someone who becomes a naturalised US citizen, or is it just that Brits and other Europeans see no advantage in US citizenship ? Dual citizenship is permitted by the USG after all.

Hexuan,

I think it might be the long waits and the general unpleasentness of dealing with INS. I know in Phoenix people can get to the building no later than 5am to line up if they want to get seen that day. INS opens at 8-9am and closes at 5pm(?). So imagine waiting close to 12 hours and having to miss work just to get your business with them done. With children of permanent residents born in the US it becomes a lot easier because they automatically get citizenship.

Just my thoughts,
Okami

Okami, I doubt that’s the reason. Once an Alien adjusts his status to that of Permanent resident, the hassles are over (with respect to the INS). In fact, the US encourages PR Aliens to apply for citizenship when they are eligible (3 years after obtaining PR status for those who obtain PR status through family relationship and 5 years for those who obtain PR status through employment).

I don’t know the reason. There is no difference in income taxes, and there are no other onerous conditions of which I am aware. The US does permit dual citizenship… and the benefits, at least with respect for travel, should be enough, IMO, for any long term PR Alien to seek US citizenship.