Toilet Paper: Toilet or Can?

Whew! I’ve been waiting years for just such an announcement! I was running out of room for my collection!

it makes a great addition to the post box of rowdy neighbours, if you can only find the time to post it when they’re not home.

one reason NOT to flush it is the people who seem to require more than 20-30 sheets per crap. I mean, c’mon folks, stop wasting so much paper: it doesn’t grow on trees, you know.

I am with you.

I am in the ‘Always flush the paper’ club also.

I cannot get the wife to join. She admantly refuses to do so.
The youngster now flushes also.

One thing I’ve noticed. When you throw in the paper and flush it, it is imperative to hold the flushing handle down for the complete evacuation cycle. Dump ALL of the water out of the tank to efficiently take away the waste.
My wife has a hard time doing this, had bad results and this is why she won’t ‘do the flush.’

Anyway, I hope this gets wide attention here…Summer heat is back…No Mo Stinky Toilets!

Paper is gross. I’m a strictly water only man. My but those paper tossers howl when they get caught out in my paperless loo.

HG

Okay, so now I have a toilet stopped up with the Taipei Times. It just won’t flush.

What the… I’ve been in Taiwan for two years and this is the first I’ve heard of people not flushing toilet paper down the toilet… What the?! I feel like I’m in the twilight zone… I’ve had tons of people over to my apartment, and not one has thrown a “soiled” wad of toilet paper in my trash, or asked me what they should do. Have I been living in a bubble or what?

It was explained to me by someone knowledgable on the subject that the “don’t throw paper in the toilet” rule dates back decades to a time when early locally made toilet paper didn’t soften and break up in water the same way that western-made tissue stuff did. So the blocked pipes were a result of the fibrous paper rather than the pipes themselves (toilets actually work better with a narrow pipe than a wide one because the syphon effect is more pronounced).

Even today there are different ‘grades’ of break-up ability … so watch out what you use … news papers don’t break up readily …

Apparently so.

Well since I’m now fully appraised of the toilet paper situation in Taiwan, I happened to notice the following sign at the local Dante coffee shop:

Basically the Chinese says “Please don’t throw your used toilet paper into the toilet in order to avoid clogging (it)”.

The English obviously doesn’t say the same. So maybe they know we westernerz might get freaked out by the idea of throwing used toilet paper into the trash can and don’t care what we flush? (Just as long as we don’t throw it on the ground apparently)

I think by “shit paper” they mean loo paper, but I could be wrong. It’s probably open to interpretation… :stuck_out_tongue:

Well now we have found the hardest ass on Forumosa

I just hope that people only dump toilet roll into the toilet and not everything else they can jam in there

I always flush the paper. I do not go into cubicles or bathrooms with toilet roll in basket facing me (be it sunny side up or over hard). The proximity, image and smell makes me physically :sick:

[quote=“urodacus”]it makes a great addition to the post box of rowdy neighbours, if you can only find the time to post it when they’re not home.

one reason NOT to flush it is the people who seem to require more than 20-30 sheets per crap. I mean, c’mon folks, stop wasting so much paper: it doesn’t grow on trees, you know.[/quote]

People love using tissues here as much as they love using plastic bags
My solution to reduce the amount of use is not to be so messy and not to eat food that requires the use of so much tissue to soak up the dripping pig lard and oil

It really depends on the quality of the paper, but I think it can be reduced to 3 wipes – the up wipe, the down wipe and the polisher.
Sand paper quality type tissue tends to smear not scoop and soak up. Oh and with the total absence of roughage here in the white rice/soya sauce/pig lard diet, I doubt when the turtle shows its head its firm (if you know what I mean), so requires more a mop up than a wipe

all to prevent the dreaded “finger thru” sensation :s

On occasion I have had to wipe my good looking ass with:

Newspaper paper
Playboy paper
Napkins
Leafs
Soil
A hamster
A rabbit
Fingers
Spoon
Sandpaper
Rough paper
Perfumed toilet paper
A shawl
Handkerchief

… and some other exotic items I can not unveil …

Some of them didn’t readily flush … and still clog the pipe

time to flush this topic :slight_smile: haha

Here I sit in my outhouse, a double holer, with a Sears catalog at my side, already browsed the tool section and the womens underwear too. Now to “flush”. Just drop in the hole. The way things were not so many years ago. Of course the outhouse really smelled bad, flies were always a problem but granddad always kept a jug of shine on the shelf with the “better” pages of some mags. You also never knew who whould pop in to join you for the daily task. Not always a great scene but overall, better than it is now. No worries of clogged pipes.

btw, I asked my SO the other day about some old folks wandering around in the early am and late pm in their pjs. She explained that this harks back to the early days when it was a real luxury to have indoor plumbing (toilet) in one’s own home. There were community style loos arond larger populations. Folks would wander down in the late eve or early am with towel over their shoulder to do their morning or nightly task of SS&S. Not much unlike it was back in the good old days in the country back home.

So, the family I met at Wellcome wearing pj’s the other night had probably made a detour or ran out of paper …

A close at hand toilet. Also plenty of paper and . . . damn! . . . a mirror.