Toilet Paper: Toilet or Can?

Miss poopy shoes, where did you get your phD in engineering and wastewater treatment? You reckon toilet paper has quite the variety and not up to the task here in Taiwan do ya? interesting

Come on back when you finish your Remedial Reading course, junior.

I’ve been potty trained and very seldom do I get poopy shoes

Come on back when you finish your Remedial Reading course, junior.[/quote]

Now, now, fellas. Let’s be civil.

What I want to know is - and I’ve read the whole thread - is Taipei (or all of Taiwan) dumping their shit into the rivers? Yes or no?

I ask again. What, exactly, is the wastewater protocol in this joint? We got all kinds of information, most of it conflicting, yet coming from respected sources. Finley says they dump it in the river and I’m apt to take his word for it. But cybertai says they don’t. :eh:

Rocket started with the poopy talk

[quote=“super_lucky”]

I ask again. What, exactly, is the wastewater protocol in this joint? We got all kinds of information, most of it conflicting, yet coming from respected sources. Finley says they dump it in the river and I’m apt to take his word for it. But cybertai says they don’t. :eh:[/quote]

I think his point was the contents of those shit-sucking trucks doesn’t end up in the river (presumably they empty their loads at a sewage plant). The trucks are used to empty septic tanks.

That doesn’t change the fact that much of Taiwan’s sewerage empties directly into rivers (where a nearby river is available) or the sea (if near the coast).

[quote=“monkey”][quote=“super_lucky”]

I ask again. What, exactly, is the wastewater protocol in this joint? We got all kinds of information, most of it conflicting, yet coming from respected sources. Finley says they dump it in the river and I’m apt to take his word for it. But cybertai says they don’t. :eh:[/quote]

I think his point was the contents of those shit-sucking trucks doesn’t end up in the river (presumably they empty their loads at a sewage plant). The trucks are used to empty septic tanks.

That doesn’t change the fact that much of Taiwan’s sewerage empties directly into rivers (where a nearby river is available) or the sea (if near the coast).[/quote]

What shit-sucking trucks? I’ve lived in a 17-story building for seven years, in and out at every tick on the clock face, and I’ve never seen one. I am 95% certain we aren’t on the shit-sucking route. There are a minimum of 136 units between our two towers. They’d need several trucks a day to haul away all the crap in this joint.

But I often wonder where the runoff from the street goes. I just assumed it went to a treatment facility.

I’ve been around the block a few times and can’t recall seeing a shit sucker. Have seen many c**k suckers though

You need to change your route, son. And please, don’t get all conservative on us now. It’s cocksuckers.

Too many cocksuckers and shit-suckers emptying their loads all over the place

[quote=“super_lucky”]What I want to know is - and I’ve read the whole thread - is Taipei (or all of Taiwan) dumping their shit into the rivers? Yes or no?

They dump some of it in the rivers. Taiwan does have some limited sewage processing facilities, but an awful lot of raw poo just goes straight out there. Danshui estuary, for example, stinks of shit.

It’s really no different to the US: sewage plants are built to a certain minimal capacity, but if there’s an unusually large shitstorm on any given day, or even just a lot of surface water, they open the sluices and flush it out to sea. Or whereever.

The basic problem is that new buildings go up, and the sewage infrastructure catches up 10 or 20 years later.

No idea about the trucks (like super_lucky, I was under the impression that septic tanks are simply not used here) but putting it on a truck doesn’t make it disappear, does it? Eventually it has to get tipped out the back, and presumably that happens somewhere nobody’s likely to spot it or complain.

[quote=“finley”][quote=“super_lucky”]What I want to know is - and I’ve read the whole thread - is Taipei (or all of Taiwan) dumping their shit into the rivers? Yes or no?

They dump some of it in the rivers. Taiwan does have some limited sewage processing facilities, but an awful lot of raw poo just goes straight out there. Danshui estuary, for example, stinks of shit.

It’s really no different to the US: sewage plants are built to a certain minimal capacity, but if there’s an unusually large shitstorm on any given day, or even just a lot of surface water, they open the sluices and flush it out to sea. Or whereever.

The basic problem is that new buildings go up, and the sewage infrastructure catches up 10 or 20 years later.

No idea about the trucks (like super_lucky, I was under the impression that septic tanks are simply not used here) but putting it on a truck doesn’t make it disappear, does it? Eventually it has to get tipped out the back, and presumably that happens somewhere nobody’s likely to spot it or complain.[/quote]

Many many years ago, an engineer-friend was talking about my penchant for swimming (and surfing) in the ocean, and he said, “Tell you something, pal. If you see brown, foamy bubbles in the water, that means raw sewage. Get your ass out of there!”

And as I’ve jawboned about in the past, I go up to Fulong on a weekly basis (when it isn’t raining), and what do you know, there’s an outflow estuary right there between the two beaches. Every so often, I’ll be out on a sand bar and see a blob of cloudy water and - yep - foamy, brown bubbles.

So despite carrying on this conversation outside the forum with someone who believes it’s inconceivable that Taipei would dump shit in the river, and we’d all be dead if they did, I kind of have my own sort of proof that they do.

Septic tanks are used on places like remote farms, mountainside villages, etc where there’s simply no way to lay down pipes to a river owing to the terrain or cost of doing so.

Also, all those portable toilets at construction sites and public events needs emptying into trucks.

On a good day, where I live, you can see a little fleet of turds floating down the sewage channel into the Danshui estuary. It makes me giggle every time I walk past the sign that proclaims this outlet to be the “Golden River”.

There’s really nothing unusual about this though. Most countries do it, to a greater or lesser degree.

Oh, I’m sure they exist. I just meant that since most of Taiwan’s population lives in high-rise apartments, there’s not a huge demand for septic tanks or slurry-pumping services.

I just did some googling. Couldn’t find much at all in Google Scholar. One article simply referenced the Construction and Planning Agency website, which has a table of cities and counties and the percentage of the population served by sewage treatment in each. According to that, Taipei City treats 80%. New Taipei City treats 73%.

One study from 2007 said, “Based on recently reported data about the quality of sewage discharge (Gong et al., unpublished data), the Pali sewage treatment plant has not operated properly due to budget deficits and/or technical problems in their waste processing system.” So I’d take that 80% and 73% with at least a pinch of scepticism.

Edit: Nuclear plants, anyone?

If the information on the government webpage linked to below is accurate, and if I haven’t somehow misread that page, this thread, or your post, it looks as if the answer might be both yes and no: goo.gl/ye4HJ2

Edit: Yikes, I see now that antarcticbeech has already posted this information, just above my post. Apologies for the redundancy.

If the information on the government webpage linked to below is accurate, and if I haven’t somehow misread that page, this thread, or your post, it looks as if the answer might be both yes and no: goo.gl/ye4HJ2[/quote]

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]I just did some googling. Couldn’t find much at all in Google Scholar. One article simply referenced the Construction and Planning Agency website, which has a table of cities and counties and the percentage of the population served by sewage treatment in each. According to that, Taipei City treats 80%. New Taipei City treats 73%.

One study from 2007 said, “Based on recently reported data about the quality of sewage discharge (Gong et al., unpublished data), the Pali sewage treatment plant has not operated properly due to budget deficits and/or technical problems in their waste processing system.” So I’d take that 80% and 73% with at least a pinch of scepticism.

[/quote]

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. If I could read Chinese, I’d have done the Googling myself. Anyway, I suspect it may be quite some time before we get an answer. If ever.

[EDIT: And I’m very pleasantly surprised to see the table is in English.]

If the information on the government webpage linked to below is accurate, and if I haven’t somehow misread that page, this thread, or your post, it looks as if the answer might be both yes and no: goo.gl/ye4HJ2[/quote]

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]I just did some googling. Couldn’t find much at all in Google Scholar. One article simply referenced the Construction and Planning Agency website, which has a table of cities and counties and the percentage of the population served by sewage treatment in each. According to that, Taipei City treats 80%. New Taipei City treats 73%.

[/quote]

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. If I could read Chinese, I’d have done the Googling myself. Anyway, I suspect it may be quite some time before we get an answer. If ever.

[EDIT: And I’m very pleasantly surprised to see the table is in English.][/quote]

Here’s a 2011 conversation about the condition of the Danshui; it gives an impression of tempered optimism, of having come quite a ways but not being there yet: Danshui river

'Course that pretty well describes human history in general.

[/quote]

[EDIT: And I’m very pleasantly surprised to see the table is in English.][/quote]

Here’s a 2011 conversation about the condition of the Danshui; it gives an impression of tempered optimism, of having come quite a ways but not being there yet: Danshui river

'Course that pretty well describes human history in general.[/quote]

I knew that was going to be a risky click, CJ, but I clicked anyway.

…aaaannnnnndddd, did somebody say that Taipei does NOT dump its raw sewage in the river(s)?

On the other hand, seems like the situation is gradually improving, and maybe a decade or so after I’ve left the joint - which won’t be too much longer now - y’all might have some clean rivers. And whatnot.

[EDIT: Errant apostrophe]

Most buildings built around 10 or 15 years ago, at least in Taipei area, will have the sewage pipeline connected.

Some online reference:

https://www.google.com.tw/search?newwindow=1&rlz=1C1GGGE_enTW517TW517&es_sm=93&q=taiwan+sewage+system&oq=taiwan+sweage&gs_l=serp.3.0.0i13i30l3j0i8i13i30.37788.42524.0.45736.13.13.0.0.0.0.269.1646.0j8j2.10.0…0…1c.1j4.64.serp…3.10.1645.e5nmN26OmEI