Toilet Paper: Toilet or Can?

did you ask did that include New Taipei City?
something always to be aware of in Taiwan.

What is “some sort of sewage system”? Does that include things like the old Xinsheng canal (basically now just an open sewer) and other city waterways?

90% sounds about right if the Danshui and Keelung Rivers are defined as part of the sewage system.

City of Taipei proper. And sewage system meaning treatment of effluent before eventual dispersal into rivers and waterways.

What is “some sort of sewage system”? Does that include things like the old Xinsheng canal (basically now just an open sewer) and other city waterways?

90% sounds about right if the Danshui and Keelung (Jilong) Rivers are defined as part of the sewage system.[/quote]

Also as I am mostly in the South, Urban Kaoshuing as sewer system, which is why it surprises me Taoyuan does not for the most part.

I personally couldn’t care less whether the Danshui River or Love River are polluted, because I am not planning to go swimming in them.

Now Kending is another matter altogether. I have no idea how that place can function as a seaside resort when bathers are expected to swim among their own turds.

All those illegal B&Bs and other businesses just dump their waste into the flood drainage system, which exits right into the sea.

And the raw sewage has caused slimy algae to cover the reef there, leading to widespread coral death.

yes Kending is a disgrace,
there is a sewer stream running past the B&Bs and straight onto the main beach. I was shocked when I saw it a
few years back. it’s still like that I guess.

The Hengchun area does actually have sewage treatment facilities, so it’s not really a matter of infrastructure.

The real problem is illegal construction, local government corruption, and the perverting effects of mass tourism.

[quote=“monkey”]The Hengchun area does actually have sewage treatment facilities, so it’s not really a matter of infrastructure.

The real problem is illegal construction, local government corruption, and the perverting effects of mass tourism.[/quote]

This problem, is in many other areas in Taiwan, and I think its more than mass tourism.

[quote=“DKaoshuing”][quote=“monkey”]The Hengchun area does actually have sewage treatment facilities, so it’s not really a matter of infrastructure.

The real problem is illegal construction, local government corruption, and the perverting effects of mass tourism.[/quote]

This problem, is in many other areas in Taiwan, and I think its more than mass tourism.[/quote]

Kenting is a national park. It’s supposed to be a protected area where local officials are extra vigilant and have zero tolerance toward illegal development.

And while other areas of Taiwan have illegal sewage discharge, there are few places where people are encouraged to swim among the turds and toilet paper.

Areas you still cannot flush toilet paper: all of Taiwan.

[quote=“monkey”]…
Kending is a national park. It’s supposed to be a protected area where local officials are extra vigilant and have zero tolerance toward illegal development.

And while other areas of Taiwan have illegal sewage discharge, there are few places where people are encouraged to swim among the turds and toilet paper.[/quote]

Good idea for a new video game … avoid the floating turd! :smiley:

There is paper you can flush anyware, it dissolves in an instant … but, a new phenomenon raised it’s head many years ago, the ‘wet wipe’ … even in Europ’s systems that caused many toilet clog-ups. It does not dissolve in anything and sticks to sewage pipes, clogs filters in treatment facilities and it’s their biggest nightmare.

Been flushing paper in Taiwan for 12 years now, it always made me think.
OK to flush a turd down, but not a thing that stinks.

Woah, let that stool flow down to river, but:
Let us not lose face.

With paper floating upon the water,
to the EPA’s disgrace.

I’ve always done it. Couldn’t care less about those signs.

Not true in urban Taipei and urban-Kaoshuing.

The problem is that ingrained habits die hard and many people in Taiwan have been told by their parents or others that toilet paper should not be flushed down the toilet when they were growing up. Even when the plumbing can handle it, some Taiwanese still refuse to do so in the mistaken belief that the plumbing can’t. I guess they assume that plumbing in Taiwan hasn’t changed over the last several decades. Maybe in some places it hasn’t.

Think it worst than that… some leave their turds behind for you to flush for them… and shit stained toilet paper for you to view too.
They got the if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down… all wrong.

Some things to print out or change to mandarin:

1 Like

Most places in central Taipei request that you do not flush toilet paper and that you place in bin. Most offices and homes in Taipei do not flush toilet paper.

We are more than one year and four pages into this thread, and you point out this simple fact.

Do we not know this already?

We know it is a habit of Taiwanese people to place the used toilet paper in a bin, instead of flushing it down toilet.

We want to know where does flushing in the toilet constitute a problem. Please advise.