Tommy's story

Yeah, in Taiwan it makes sense.

But Tommy lives in the East Bay, on the east side of the hills. Warm, arid, bug-free and mold-free.

Perfectly safe to keep cereal on top of the fridge here. Its just a leftover from my taiwan days, when the apt had ants !! Hard habit to break :slight_smile:

Had a nice bday today. Took the day off to celebrate my essence of being. For those happy to follow small tommy adventures without getting all bent out of shape or becoming horror stricken at tommy having some fun while ignoring the risk of falling into dire straits, being in the presence of a young Asian lassie. Here goes. Oh , hang on, before we get to fun stuff, I should add there was a slight bit of melodrama today. And yes, apparently Indonesian young ladies of 1987 vintage are the same as Taiwanese ladies of the same year. In that they are more kiddy then lady. Still very immature. So my little lady was a bit miffed that she was dragged out of bed at 11 am because I had this plan to go to SF and didn’t want to wait until her highness extracted herself from bed at about 2 pm ish? Shes still not fully adapted to Calif time and tends to get up at 3 am to 4 am and then sleep again until 2 pm or some such. Well I wanted us to get the day going and 11 am is very late as it is.

See the thing is before you accuse me of cradle robbing again, tommy probably can NOT afford the likes of a 30 to 40 something woman of the world because I would fall short of her standards. She would be Gucci toting, and expecting the good Lord or perhaps me, to provide her with a Mercedes Benz ! Plus a mansion and a nice expense account. She would want to shop , not at Macy’s but rather, Nordstrom and would most certainly rather be dead then to be seen at Ross. She would not not allow herself to be tarnished by any product of a less then reputable name. So I am afraid I just don’t make the grade. I have to content myself with the younger set who are not as brand aware and expectant of the high life. Now there are plenty of women who are grounded in reality who are just angels. I have just not met them.

But back to my little (and I mean little) Angel. Apparently her little miffed self was displeased to the point of not wanting to speak for a bit in the car. Until i pointed out how to take the bus to Concord Bart while not actually taking the bus, we drove to Bart. Then we stopped at Lafayette to show her that that is a place she could hang out for an afternoon , in lieu of Walnut Creek. We ate at Panda Express there. Now i usually do not consider Panda Express to be all that good. But I am changing my mind here. They have a few special dishes that are a dollar extra but golly gee, well worth it. Spend that extra buck. I had a nice juicy beef dish that had these huge prawns in em too. Well worth paying the extra buck per dish. We then jumped on Bart again (thank goodness for schedules being available on cellfones) to ROckridge to have a crepe at The Crepevine on college avenue (very close to Rockridge Bart). The Jamaican is the crepe to have. A scoop of vanilla ice cream with a scoop of cream together on the side of a crepe filled with some sort of sweet sauce and plenty of sliced banana at near 8 bucks. Perfection it is ! Washed down with a large (500cc) glass of fresh, made right now , orange juice for 4.25.

We jumped on Bart again down to Powell and walked around the very nice and chic shopping center there. She found her favorite two Spanish based stores MANGO and ZARA and proclaimed the prices to be very similar to Jakarta (and happily bought nothing). Then went across the street to get in line to get the cable car down to Hyde street pier (dont take the one that goes to Mason as that ride doesn’t go that final down stretch to the Aquatic park, which is particularly scenic. This is what tourists do. And I was happy to note that the last time I did this was over ten years ago it was 5 bucks a head then and now it is only a buck more per person. At the pier we took a $10 per person half an hour cruise around Alcatraz. Then walked a few mins to Alioto’s right next door just about, for a bite to eat. Oh and before the short cruise, we stopped by IN and OUT there for a small burger with fries and a root beer. Now on to the dungeness crabs, i aint had one of those cooked crabs they sell over there in over ten years. So my pricing was definitely off. I remember back in the day it was something like 12 bucks to eat a crab outside on the street but bout double that inside. Well here are the new prices. An average crab is going to cost ya 20 bucks a pound (while super markets sell the same live dungeness crab at some 10 bucks a pound, so the markup to throw that sucker in a pot of hot water is 100pct !!! ) so bout 32 bucks a crab eating on the curb. But eating inside it was 21.95 for a half crab or 39.95 for a whole crab. So she got the half crab (which came with a tiny cup of clam chowder or a small salad on the side) and the salad while i went for the 20.95 spaghetti with crab meat in pesto sauce. Both were quite good. I wouldn’t say brilliant, but quite good.

She had a teabag of camomille tea at 4 bucks a cup (outrageous iIthought) and I had a very nice Ille cup of brewed coffee with a free refill for 2.50.

I dont eat out much in SF anymore, because I dont live there anymore but I was surprised they had an extra five percent (approx) tax there on top of the 8.75 percent sales tax !! Apparently this was a SF only restaurant tax where the restaurant is supposed to collect this money and set it aside for health care for their wait staff (many of whom are either uninsured or under-insured). Apparently its become a bit of a scam with the restaurants largely pocketing the majority of this money !!

Anyhows 49.99 on the tab became 56 something after the tax and i added 9 dollars tip. Supposed to tip 15pct to 20pct for good service. Some people are tipping outrageously high at 30pct. But luckily the tomster doesnt follow this procedure :slight_smile:

I pay ten percent as a minimum and 15 if i get above board treatment. 20 pct if its absolutely outstanding ! Or if the bill was a tiny one to begin with.

Oh and yes, I promise I will eventually not treat this thread like a personal blog (the horror that that should happen on a tommy-about-tommy thread of course) and not bother posting these little adventures. So for those gnashing your teeth that I should expose my private life thusly. Salvation will one day come to you.

I know you don’t care, but your attitude towards women really is like this:

To think, I can’t even use the word female as a noun on Taiwanease and yet it’s possible to pull off stuff like this on the flob.

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“tommy525”]

[/quote]

I know you don’t care, but your attitude towards women really is like this:

To think, I can’t even use the word female as a noun on Taiwanease and yet it’s possible to pull off stuff like this on the flob.[/quote]
Did we really watch this? Thanks for the Mammaries.

[quote=“shiadoa”]
Did we really watch this? Thanks for the Mammaries.[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong. Benny Hill was a genius.

As a counterpoint:

I imagine the Tommy’s Rude Awakening Thread will be just as insightful.

If there is one, i will be sure to let ya’all know just the same.
Most likely readership of this blog will just fall off with all the mundane-ness of it all and ennui will set in. Plus i will get tired of writing all that :stuck_out_tongue:

Well…hopefully.

So what does your gadis* think of the outings you’ve been going on?

• Indonesian for “girl”. Coincidentally, it sounds something like “goddess”.

Shes having a great time, more adventurous then i thought. Wants to go everywhere, do everything.

Today am going to take her on a hike at Lafayette reservoir. Theres a concrete loop that most people are on thats bout 3 miles around? But theres an upper route (dirt) thats bout double thats much more challenging. Up and down 200 to 300 feet at a stretch. Good fun and great views !

Or alternatively thinking maybe a 3 hour drive up towards lake tahoe and grover hot springs, but not sure if the roads are still open. Fall is here and any rain results in snow and chain requirements up there. And i dont have any chains on my lil RSX.

Heres a short vid taken from up front , hanging on the outside of the cable car yesterday.

youtube.com/watch?v=5QYaJj6IRA0

[quote=“tommy525”]If there is one, i will be sure to let ya’all know just the same.
Most likely readership of this blog will just fall off with all the mundane-ness of it all and ennui will set in. Plus i will get tired of writing all that :stuck_out_tongue:

Well…hopefully.[/quote]
You have like 17,000 posts, most of them about yourself and your day to day doings. I call bs that you will ever tire of your own voice. :laughing:

Oh, and for irony. How often did you complain about the cost of the visa and whatnot?

How much coin have you dropped since she arrived? :ponder:

:laughing: Guilty as charged. Will i ever get a life ?

Coin? Oh yes, but to be expected really. There is the process of turning the apt into one inhabited by a lady. There’s clothes and shoes and accessories to be bought to outfit said young lady (we can’t have her running around nude and sandal less can we?) . And coin spent taking her hither and thither , exploring the land.

Restraint is being shown though. All things bought are reasonable and worth it and needed.

It is nice to have good companionship. After so many years really. All of you unmarried should consider a mate. And those who are married, be thankful for your mate ! Take a renewed look at him/her and take steps to bring joy to each other.

One of my best buds is near losing his wife of many decades. She has been given the last rites. But she has outlived three doctors so she may yet pull through. She is a wife that is well loved by my bud. She will be a huge loss when she passes. It seems to be a matter of when and not if at this point for them. :frowning:

Friends wife is still hanging in there. Probably will out live another doctor :slight_smile:

Meantime, will drag out the “progress reports from here on in”. No instagram like updates.

Still having a good time with each other, no claws out ! Having heaps o’ fun.

Went to see GRAVITY. Good movie but flesh it out a bit . Theres only two actors in the whole thing, cept for a quick bit with ONE other actor. Really want to see some scenes WITH PEOPLE in it ! The world is not only two people. Even if its only those two in space, they can show some Earth shots for petes sake.

Makes it look like a low budget film where they cant afford any extras.

AT the very pleasant Elmwood Cafe on College . Funny the guy behind her adopted the same hand gestures? Weird or what?

She’s a cutie!

tommy,

I really enjoy reading your stories and hope you keep posting them. You have such a bright outlook on life, and your posts are very uplifting. I love the human element in your stories. I think all of us have been there; we plan the perfect day with our partner, only for some stupid fight to rise up and threaten to ruin the whole day. Thankfully, in your situation, you were patient and it seemed like the rest of the day went well.

I have displayed some animosity towards you in the past, and I want you to know that I thoroughly regret it. I am glad to see you’re ignoring the skeptics here as well. Despite the situation, I do not believe you’re being played. The future Mrs. Tommy has a kind, honest face (as do you), and I foresee that you will share a lifetime of happiness together.

Gao

She met my half brother for the first time yesterday. A very casual introduction. We met up with him at his work place after his work day ended and shared a pizza together at one of his fav restaurants. He even snatched the bill from me before I could grab it. Is that a great bro or what, huh?

He drives just like our dad (like a demon) . But is an expert driver so I didn’t have too many heart stopping moments, in that very fast and furious 15 minutes. I think my brother can easily get a Taiwanese Taxi Drivers License ! He is happily married with his second wife (they were introduced to each other after their respective divorces). They are a great couple and have been together going on seven years. They really get along together very well from all we have seen/heard. Looking forward to Thanksgiving at their place, as is the custom, near every year since they married. She’s an awesome cook and its always been a great get together. Same for Christmas.

He was skeptical that i was bout to marry a lady that i’ve spent less then 4 weeks actually physically being with. But he bites his tongue and is welcoming of the new member of our family. He is distressed that I just want to get to the courthouse and sign papers (i have to within 90 days). Rather then planning something special. I guess he is light years more romantic then me. His first marriage proposal he hired a plane to fly around the Golden Gate bridge. And he proposed on the second pass of the bridge or something. HIs last proposal , they went on a shark diving expedition off the coast of Mexico with GREAT WHITE SHARKS ! He proposed when they were underwater in the shark cage in diving suits, no less. So yes, memorable stuff. We still view the dvd of the Great White Shark proposal at our get togethers! And I haven’t even given thought to a special ring. I just want to get those papers signed, doggone it. He feels it’s all so much like a business transaction. No doubt he is going to shake his head when he tells his wife, incredulous at the lack of ceremony and inventiveness of his older brother. Let’s face it, i’m boring and way too Scrooge McDuck by comparison !

I am so not romantic compared to the average Joe, much less my brother. I NEVER give flowers, or chocolates. And I HATE ceremony if it involves me being the center of attention . As , incredible as it may seem, I do not like being the center of attention , as I am inherently shy ! True ! My idea of a marriage is to whisk my love James Bond style (luckily I am not as old as Sean Connery, but his wife is beautiful though) in my Aston Martin (Acura RsX in real life) ala On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. Minus the part where Blofeld’s hitman (or was it a woman?) barrels past and shoots the wife dead , of course .

I pointed out that my half sister married a guy from the UK she met over the internet and spent a grand total of less then 2 weeks with before they decided to get married. And they are ONE happy couple with more then ten years (and a ten year old daughter) together.

And I did promise (sort of) to bring my dearest back to her home island in Indonesia and have a traditional wedding dinner with her extended family in the near future! I hate flying, and I really hate flying long distance so we will have to see about that. But I imagine it will happen. As she insists that we go to Bali together. Even though she has been there 4 times in the last year. I suppose maybe we should actually have a honeymoon , perhaps in Hawaii. Although I was thinking more of Vegas (less flying to and fro). But honeymoon , smunnymoon. I am , as usual bah humbug on any sort of necessary protocol. I barrel through life just wanting to get the necessary stuff done so I can laze. I guess i really should change. Maybe I should do more to make memories memorable? I am even leery of being photographed so much that maybe i don’t properly record my progress through life? You may notice that it took years before I revealed my likeness on this esteemed forum?

Did Pier 39 yesterday. Missed that on last visit to Fisherman’s Wharf , as it was dark by the time we arrived at Pier 39.

She was much impressed by the place and it was what her friends have described it to be. She LOVED the sea lions. And there was a huge number of them yesterday. Sometimes there’s only a handful.

No one knows why they are there. They moved over there en masse after the 1989 Quake (from Seal Rock, near the Cliff House). And just took over a couple of berths there. Being American Sea Lions (and not Asian ones) they are very well behaved. Never are a bother. And they ONLY inhabit the twenty or so pontoons set up for them. Never wandering off to nearby boat docks even. They swim while watching where the boats are, so as to not get in the way. You really can’t imagine a group of better behaved Sea Lions anywhere.

Once again parked the car and took BART. I rarely take BART as I don’t like going under the bay for the five minutes or so. I am claustrophobic and can’t stand being trapped. Always happy to be out on the other side. Still it went well. Cept BART is really expensive compared to the Taipei MRT. And there are no toilets available at any of the underground stations. They are afraid of bombs being put there. So , of course, when her highness and i entered the BART station at Embarcadero, she promptly proclaimed a need to pee. GREat, trains are 20 mins apart at that time and our train is due to arrive in ten mins. Well ok, we got off at Rockridge and made something of it by going to the Crepevine again and sharing an orange juice and a crepe, before heading back on the next available train after our fast sojourn.

The need to pee on BART? Fuggetaboutit.

OH lest i forget, from the Ferry Building, we took the F-Market vintage street cars. And we were fortunate (my first time too) to get the second to the oldest street car there. One from 1914 ! The one older one is from 1912.

Most of the others are circa 1950s. There’s even a few from Milano, Italy. And I’ve actually seen the very same in operation there when I was in Milano in 1985.

Got the marriage license today and tying the knot next week ! Bout a month after she arrived so we will make the 90 day deadline.

SF looks really nice. I’ve never been to the US.

It’s good to be a tourist in your own town, sometimes.

Do come Ermintrude. Be happy to show you around ! San Fran is one of the top tourist destinations in the USA, both for foreigners as well as Americans.

Thanks! Oof, no idea when that would happen, but it would be fun. Sea lions! I want to see ‘Breaking Bad’ country as well.

As someone who hails from the SF Bay Area, I second the recommendation.

For Breaking Bad, you’d have to go to Albuquerque, though.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]SF looks really nice. I’ve never been to the US.

It’s good to be a tourist in your own town, sometimes.[/quote]

The water stinks and there are loads of hills. And there are lots of hipster douchebags there. The stinking rose is a good restaurant and ‘bush man’ is funny though. Also some nice parks.#

The roads are longer than you think, too.